Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschool

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2017 at 10:27 PM
  • 5 Replies
I do Time4Learning homeschool how about you all
by on Oct. 18, 2017 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Angela4boys
by Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 7:27 AM

Well, I have 5 kids, ranging from 6years to 17years (a senior in HS).  I use a combination of things . All 5 of my kids funschool with the thinking tree journals Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Funschooling is child led, library based learning. It’s been freeing for us. I love it. On those days they also do math, which for some of them is Learn Math Fast, One is Life of Fred, a couple Supplement Times Tales. Monday’s we all work together, they learn about a Country, make a couple of foods from that country, and art project inspired by that country’s traditions. We also do a state per week, so Monday we watch a movie or documentary from that state, but they have all week to complete their state work.  I have them manage their own time on this, so they can work on their time managment skills.  A few of them use a thinking tree journal, the rest use various worksheets I have gotten free online. Friday’s we all work together again, this time on a unit study (my pick...these are things I think are important for them to learn, since they are in control of what they are studying T-W-Th). These unit studies last weeks to months, depending on the topic. We also do daily family read aloud, and it’s always something that goes along with our unit study. We also incorporate brave Writer lifestyle (highly recommended). 

My high schoolers fulfill their science labs through museum classes. 

Teddybear2015
by New Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this
What I’m reading is so amazing sounds like a good planning. Time with your kids and excellent nurturing which brings you family closer this is by far the best homeschooling I have read great job mom.

Quoting Angela4boys:

Well, I have 5 kids, ranging from 6years to 17years (a senior in HS).  I use a combination of things . All 5 of my kids funschool with the thinking tree journals Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Funschooling is child led, library based learning. It’s been freeing for us. I love it. On those days they also do math, which for some of them is Learn Math Fast, One is Life of Fred, a couple Supplement Times Tales. Monday’s we all work together, they learn about a Country, make a couple of foods from that country, and art project inspired by that country’s traditions. We also do a state per week, so Monday we watch a movie or documentary from that state, but they have all week to complete their state work.  I have them manage their own time on this, so they can work on their time managment skills.  A few of them use a thinking tree journal, the rest use various worksheets I have gotten free online. Friday’s we all work together again, this time on a unit study (my pick...these are things I think are important for them to learn, since they are in control of what they are studying T-W-Th). These unit studies last weeks to months, depending on the topic. We also do daily family read aloud, and it’s always something that goes along with our unit study. We also incorporate brave Writer lifestyle (highly recommended). 

Angela4boys
by Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:50 AM
Thanks :) our homeschooling has evolved every year. I’ve been grateful for the experiences we have had.

Quoting Teddybear2015: What I’m reading is so amazing sounds like a good planning. Time with your kids and excellent nurturing which brings you family closer this is by far the best homeschooling I have read great job mom.

Quoting Angela4boys:

Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Oct. 20, 2017 at 12:59 AM

I have one homeschooled who's 9 and two older boys in public school.

We homeschoole with...

Story of the World for History

Progressive Phonics for Reading

All About Spelling for Spelling

Right now for Math using Subtraction Facts that Stick and Addition Facts that Stick, one of my older boys Harcourt public school workbooks that was barely used, and long addition problems I make up on a white board.  Going to be starting with Right Start Math soon.

Science right now is homemade field trips and unit studies, but there is a "science through cooking" unit at ChristianBooks I plan to start on soon.

We take a class for Spanish, with roughly uses Spanish Champs...also have used https://www.foreignlanguagesforkids.com  (love this...just finished with what we could do with it).

Bible so far is integrated with histor.y (since we're still in that time period)

LostTheSlipper
by Group Admin on Oct. 20, 2017 at 10:18 PM

DS is in high school. We're mostly doing Abeka Academy DVDs this year with Saxon Math.

In the past though we've used a combination of Abeka, Saxon, Apologia, lots of different things for history and writing, books from Sonlight book lists, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)