Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling again

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2017 at 1:19 PM
  • 5 Replies
So I had homeschooled DD from 2nd grade until 6th grade. I got pressured by my mom ( she's a former teacher) to put my DD into middle school because she needs to socialize more, and my DD was bored with the curriculum we were using. So against my gut I had her enrolled into 7th grade last yr( she did a placement test and she placed beginning of her 11th grade yr) but the problem is she has been very depressed and was hospitalized for it last year and now this yr ( her 8th grade yr). She is going to be in trouble with the school district because of having to miss so much school. So I'm going to back to homeschooling her, but her father is no longer on board and says she is being a snowflake and she is going to just have to suck it up. Well I disagree and am going against his opinion and my mom's opinion too. What would u do if u were in my shoes?
by on Oct. 21, 2017 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Angela4boys
by Member on Oct. 21, 2017 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I would do what I knew was right, and hope Dad gets on board when he sees the positive changes in his daughter.

We hadn’t ever planned to homeschool, our children thrived in public school. We had no choice but to homeschool during a move. During that time, I felt convicted to continue, but my husband did not, and wanted to put them back in public school. We both shed tees over it. Something in him changed too, and now we are six years in. He’s very grateful that we have continued. He’s said it many many times.
NearSeattleMom
by on Oct. 23, 2017 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this

If she's having trouble with depression, be sure to get her help for that . . . and then, I'd pull her from school and homeschool and do whatever it takes to get her healthy.

Good luck.  Seventh and eighth grades are really hard on girls, if you ask me.  (My daughter is now in 9th grade and is finally doing better.)

Headeva
by New Member on Oct. 23, 2017 at 12:38 AM
Thanks! Yes she is seeing a therapist weekly and she has a psychiatrist that we both really like.

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

If she's having trouble with depression, be sure to get her help for that . . . and then, I'd pull her from school and homeschool and do whatever it takes to get her healthy.

Good luck.  Seventh and eighth grades are really hard on girls, if you ask me.  (My daughter is now in 9th grade and is finally doing better.)

gramabrenda
by Member on Oct. 26, 2017 at 12:12 PM
I am not at all sure what is the right thing here for your DD. But I do know that husband and wife need to be in agreement. I do see that even though she seems held back in school because she has missed she is really still ahead in some areas. I does seem like she may need the support and skills she may learn from being in a corporate school situation.

I am praying for you and your family to find the answers that are best for this child. She is a precious person and is here for a reason. She has experienced some difficult times but she has a good foundation from her years of homeschool. She may need to find her own successes; i.e. work things through and have victory.

Praying for your peace about this and for you to be able to give your total support to whatever decision is made. I pray that you, your husband and your daughter will be ready for whatever comes your way and will be able to meet it in victory. Blessings. PS praying for the therapist to be helpful. 
veggiemom474
by Member on Oct. 29, 2017 at 6:32 PM

Have you thought about maybe requesting she be placed into a therapeutic school? Your story sounds very much like what I'm going through with my 13 year old right now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)