Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home school

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2017 at 9:22 PM
  • 14 Replies
I home school my 14 yr old son. He is a great kid with amazing dreams for his future.. He loves helping in the community and volunteers at our humane society. Question; since he started home schooling, all his friends are in a brick and mortar school. He misses out on the comrodery of teens his age. I've searched and searched for extra activities with teens and groups in our community. It's has been extremely hard finding homeschooled groups. We live in a very large city and never dreamed it would be this difficult . Any suggestions
by on Oct. 27, 2017 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mewebb82
by New Member on Oct. 27, 2017 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Have you looked for Facebook groups in your area? That's where I started and asked about co-ops and from there found classes, field trips, and group activities.
Raylyn15
by New Member on Oct. 27, 2017 at 9:36 PM
FB was the first place I started.. There are a few (again so bizarre) because of the size of our city) but most of the groups are geared more to a younger age. I don't know if I'm looking in the wrong places. This is my first year to home school. I may be over thinking this?
mewebb82
by New Member on Oct. 27, 2017 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Most of the groups I've come across are for younger kids too. Maybe you can ask if anyone else has older kids in those groups? They might be able to point you towards a group for older kids or maybe you can plan a get together with some of the older kids.

Quoting Raylyn15: FB was the first place I started.. There are a few (again so bizarre) because of the size of our city) but most of the groups are geared more to a younger age. I don't know if I'm looking in the wrong places. This is my first year to home school. I may be over thinking this?
Raylyn15
by New Member on Oct. 28, 2017 at 5:15 PM
That's a great idea thank you!
NearSeattleMom
by on Oct. 30, 2017 at 3:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Our local YMCA had homeschool PE classes.  That was a great place for my teens to meet friends.

Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2017 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this
It is harder to find activities for teens because that's when most people give up homeschooling and send them to PS.

You may need to go outside the HS community. What community activities involve teens? My DD played on a community volleyball league. We've found archery, public speaking, photography clubs, etc that aren't related to homeschooling at all. My kids are also heavily involved in their church youth group, you might consider that.
Bobcatridge
by Member on Oct. 31, 2017 at 3:17 PM

I homeschool my 16 yr old daughter and it is really hard to find activities for teens.  My daughter is in the local 4H and there is a local youth arts foundation that has free art, music, and dance classes.  We also tried the library for some teen events but the last one was a flop - since when does 'teen' mean 8 yr olds.  Oh well, we keep trying but it is difficult at times.  Sports may be another possibility.  My daughter is not interested in sports but it might work for your son depending on his interests.

Angela4boys
by Member on Oct. 31, 2017 at 3:44 PM
No homeschool co-ops in your area? We have a ton of them, and some with a very active teen community.
schooldays2022
by New Member on Nov. 15, 2017 at 12:13 PM

Since you stated that you live in a large city, I would first check at your local library. Quite a few homeschoolers will hang out at the library to save money on books. Also, sometimes homeschoolers will post signs there trying to locate other homeschoolers in the area. 

gramabrenda
by Member on Nov. 16, 2017 at 11:39 AM

Sounds like you all are having a really great time but the peer interaction is still so important. You got some great suggestions. I can only add lessons of any kind especially group type. Also you could start a group. This could be done on your own, through the homeschool association, library or the "Y". I will be praying for you as you round out your curriculum with peer interaction. Great job, Mom. Keep up the good work

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)