Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeling burnout ... *vent*

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2017 at 3:23 PM
  • 11 Replies
Hello,
This is my second year homeschooling my two children 8 and almost 6 in December, lately I’ve been feeling so burnout and second guessing myself with this whole homeschooling thing. I’m fantasizing how much easier it would be if I can just send them back to public school or private school. But I know it’s definitely not what I want and neither does my husband. But I just feel so exhausted and alone and sometimes lost at the teaching part. I have no sense of support groups for homeschooling families even though I know I should. I feel at times weather I’m screwing up their education cause I don’t know if I’m teaching them right or wrong. I haven’t had a break down like this since I’ve started homeschooling, so I think I’m entitled to one. I think it’s just all hitting me now, and then with a demanding 91/2 month old who’s teething and wants to be held or crawling around when I need to teach the other kids.

Any advice, encouragement, suggestions, opinions, would be greatly appreciated. I’m about loosing it right now.
by on Nov. 8, 2017 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LostTheSlipper
by Group Admin on Nov. 8, 2017 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe just take a short break from it all. A few days...a week. Whatever you feel you need. The holidays are coming. When DS was in elementary, we always started our long holiday break the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and didn't start again until after New Year's. Maybe just finish out this week, take the time off for the holidays and rest and see where you are from there.

The first couple of years I used December to "plan" the second half of the year, but found I got a lot more done, and was more ambitious about it if I did all that the week after Christmas. Depends on your holiday traditions, but maybe if you can, plan something like that, and maybe just some rejuvenation and a new plan on how to tackle things will help.

Good luck!

gramabrenda
by Member on Nov. 9, 2017 at 12:11 PM
2 moms liked this
You have quite a challenge with a baby crawling around I really think the break that the post suggested might work for you to give you perspective. But other suggestions I can make is to look at the "one room school room model."  You can teach health and some science by letting the older children help with the baby and teaching and discussing how the baby is developing, what the special needs are for a younger child and how the older ones can help and teach the younger. I know for me sometimes I get too intense on the academic (not that it is not important) but I lose perspective and forget to use those teachable moments. "Helping" is a great teaching tool. I pray that you will see those moments and be able to seize them.

I pray that God will give you special insight into your own needs and the needs of your children. I pray for strength and special patience. Sounds like you have done a good job so far but you are meeting new challenges as the children age and change. Even a few days "off" might give you the refreshing that you need. Incidentally, absolutely ALL of us have moments or maybe even days that we would love to just give over the responsibility to someone else and have a cup of coffee, watch the birds, just stare at the sky. So sometimes we do just that during our school day as a break. We have been seen "grounding" laying out on the hill in our front yard. Sometimes we see images in the clouds and sometimes our talk goes to the most amazing things. Enjoy, be blessed, I am praying for you
nicki.hemingway
by Member on Nov. 10, 2017 at 12:32 PM
2 moms liked this

I second needing a break but there are a few things that kind of popped in my mind.

1) Are you doing PS at home (either charter school, k-12, or a traditional home school program but mimicing the PS day).  If so that could be a major burn out source.  I home school two kids traditionally and my kids have ~2 hours of work a day on a long day.  Home school typically does not resemble PS and it does not have to.  Instead maybe a different program may be more beneficial.  There are tons of different curriculum types and you need to have one that is right for your family. 

2) Do you belong to an online Homeschool group like Hip Homeschool Moms (on FB) or your local/state group (ours is CHAP in PA).  These can be super resources and I totally recommend the HHM group as it is low to no drama and a great group of moms who have BTDT. 

3) Did you de-school at all or jump right into home school.  Many issues can be solved with a de-school period.  This should be 1 month per year in PS and you do non-traditional educaitonal activities (like watching documentaries, baking, arts/crafts, reading for fun, etc) to help reignite a love for learning. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersDaisypath Thanksgiving tickers
Raggedylaura
by Member on Nov. 12, 2017 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

If your children can read, try reading back and forth between the children.  Pick an easy children's magazine and simply read.  The children learn naturally once they get the hang of reading.

Don't feel like you need to compete with the other homeschool famlies.  This leads to easy burn-out.  Also don't feel like you need to always use home-education.  If you decide to do somthing else for a while, that is ok, even if you have a faith-based goal in mind.

http://hens-and-chicks.blogspot.com/2017/10/when-should-you-use-different-resource.html

McM0609
by New Member on Nov. 13, 2017 at 12:09 AM
Thank you for your suggestions and encouraging words and your prayers and wisdom. I am so grateful for that. I will use these suggestions and advice from you mommas. Thank you! Blessings.

Quoting gramabrenda:
You have quite a challenge with a baby crawling around I really think the break that the post suggested might work for you to give you perspective. But other suggestions I can make is to look at the "one room school room model."  You can teach health and some science by letting the older children help with the baby and teaching and discussing how the baby is developing, what the special needs are for a younger child and how the older ones can help and teach the younger. I know for me sometimes I get too intense on the academic (not that it is not important) but I lose perspective and forget to use those teachable moments. "Helping" is a great teaching tool. I pray that you will see those moments and be able to seize them.

I pray that God will give you special insight into your own needs and the needs of your children. I pray for strength and special patience. Sounds like you have done a good job so far but you are meeting new challenges as the children age and change. Even a few days "off" might give you the refreshing that you need. Incidentally, absolutely ALL of us have moments or maybe even days that we would love to just give over the responsibility to someone else and have a cup of coffee, watch the birds, just stare at the sky. So sometimes we do just that during our school day as a break. We have been seen "grounding" laying out on the hill in our front yard. Sometimes we see images in the clouds and sometimes our talk goes to the most amazing things. Enjoy, be blessed, I am praying for you
characterbuildr
by on Nov. 29, 2017 at 7:23 PM

I agree with the much needed break.  My homeschooled kids are now teens.  I have not had a baby under foot while homeschooling, but I have had many mom friends give great suggestions for how they manage it.  Since your other kiddos are well able to help with baby, many of my mom friends give one of the older kids the job of reading or playing with the baby while you focus on a subject with the other child.  And then take turns all the way around.  It gives the older child practice caring for a younger person—service and caring skills!  Plus it gives the baby practice with working with someone other than you—adaptability.  I hope these ideas help.  Remember to take a break and just go outside and explore.  Find a local group and get with some moms to connect.  That support is so important.  Blessings and rest to you!

Angela4boys
by Member on Nov. 30, 2017 at 9:49 AM
I would consider funschooling with journals from the thinking tree. It’s pretty independent. We all experience burn out...usually it’s boredom or we are doing too much. Change things up. (And stop worrying you’re not teaching them enough, or right!)
collinsmommy0
by Kim on Nov. 30, 2017 at 5:27 PM
I would definitely take a break for a week or two. Or decrease the amount that you’re doing for a few weeks.

Most teachers and homeschoolers go through a ‘slump’ around January/February (after the rush & pressure of the holidays), so you are not alone with those feelings.
armywifeproud
by New Member on Dec. 6, 2017 at 5:13 AM

I only have one child,but I get like that at times. I feel like I am not doing enough. When I do get overwhelmed I take a break though. 

lovingladyo4
by New Member on Dec. 6, 2017 at 5:04 PM

I feel your frustration - you need say no more - your words paint a very good picture of how you are trying to juggle around all the demands. I think that is normal quite honestly. What are your expectations of yourself and where did they come from? Are they realistic or not? If you set the bar too high, you set yourself up for failure. if you set the bar right where it needs to be you gauge accomplishment. Rearrange your priorities to match a realistic view of what you can accomplish in a day's time. No need to burn out. There is no pressure except what you put on yourself. Don't do that! You want to enjoy these years with your kids! Make life a teaching/learning experience and incorporate activities that will nurture your children. 

Be good to yourself and make some adjustments.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)