Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to begin

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2017 at 12:19 PM
  • 7 Replies
Hi, I have a 4 year dd that we are thinking of homeschooling. I'm a sahm and she will be starting kindergarten next Aug. Me and my husband have talked about homeschooling but it all seems like so much. I don't know where to begin.
by on Nov. 9, 2017 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
nicki.hemingway
by Member on Nov. 10, 2017 at 12:17 PM

At this age I would encourage play and not much else.  Children learn via play and there is a large body of evidence that shows that early academics hurts kids in the long run.  Play games that involve letter and numbers (think candy land, ABC match, etc), read to your dd, watch shows that encourage her to want to learn like Sid the Science kid, Magic school bus, Odd Squad, and Super Why.  You dd will learn (and probably more than her ps peers) just from letting her explore her world. 

Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Nov. 10, 2017 at 4:17 PM

At the KG level it's really not much.  In KG we only spent about an hour a day on academic work (broken up into 15 minute segments with long play breaks in between)...anything past that usually had diminishing returns.  A LOT of other homeschoolers I know do about that much work in KG.   That leaves a lot of time for you to plan and get the feel for what you're doing.

Any curriculum you get will guide you on how to teach your child.  Just get something that lets you go at your own pace (ie, avoid things like K-12 that plan out a full public school day for your child...she doesn't need that much right now.  With one on one she can learn just as well with less time, and you will have a better time teaching her if she's not burnt out). 

Just keep it playful and avoid pressuring/pushing your child too much.  Kindergarteners don't need rigor yet.  They thrive on one on one, lots of time for open ended unstructured play, and lots of being read to and played with.

Raggedylaura
by Member on Nov. 12, 2017 at 12:49 PM

Try this resource or other similar free resources.

Read books like "Well Trained Mind" to get a general idea about how to make Home-Education successful (but don't stress out if your family cannot handle that type of curriculum and resource cost).

Here is a frugal resource that works with faith based goals and non-faithbased goals in mind.

http://hens-and-chicks.blogspot.com/2016/03/200-day-biblical-classical-curriculum.html

Check out rules for your local area about home-education.  If the rules seem too strict, with prayer and support, the rules can change to meet the needs for your home.

gramabrenda
by Member on Nov. 16, 2017 at 11:40 AM

Wow what an exciting time in the life of your family. This can be such a wonderful adventure for all. I am so glad that you and your husband are on the same page. This is so important. You got some great posts on this so I will only add my prayers for you as you begin the journey in education. Enjoy, relax and be blessed. PS. Homeschool associations are a great help and resource.

characterbuildr
by on Nov. 23, 2017 at 8:31 PM

I agree with the others:  KG is simple and fun.  Letters, numbers, phonics, basic math if they are ready to learn, writing their letters out, and discovery outside!  Being outside to explore is the best, especially for boys.  If you can provide safe tools or craft supplies along with cardboard, paper, or wood, let their imaginations run free.  Let them build a tree fort with help.  Don’t over-thing KG.  Just get the proper paperwork done with your school district and have fun!  Worry about curriculum next summer for the following fall.  Blessings!

lovingladyo4
by New Member on Nov. 28, 2017 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

You can start with books from the library! Implement language, vocabulary, colors, numbers, scheduling, and memory recall - all from one book!

There are a gazillion books on the market now, so pick a curriculum that matches her learning style - for example - does she learn by seeing things? Hearing things? Or doing things? 

You can sort laundry and have her match socks by colors. You can pick a color (like red) and go around the house and find everything that is red. When you have gathered them, count them. You can do puzzles. You can take her to different libraries all within reasonable driving distance. You can do crafts for muscle strength and hand coordination. I could could offer suggestions for the next couple of hours and not run out of ideas to share.

Make life a game of learning. Count the steps every time you go upstairs. Paint. Practice printing her name. Play connect the dots. Get some workbooks at the dollar store - books like "same & different" , "matching', and stuff like that.

I could go on and on. Above all - HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2017 at 9:52 AM
2 moms liked this
It just seems like so much because our society is conditioned to believe that after age 5, we're no longer qualified to teach our own. The fact is,homeschooling is simply an extension of parenting. You've actually been teaching her since birth. Nothing's changed. When you approach it like this, you realize that homeschooling is as natural as giving birth.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)