Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Emotions

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2017 at 11:28 PM
  • 5 Replies

Not really looking for advice...I know what I'm going to do, I think...but just want to talk about this with people who understand (but don't actually know us...funny how that goes?).

So, when we started homeschooling my youngest, we only planned on a couple of years...until we could get him caught up. Somewhere along the line that changed for me. 

For one thing, I could tell it was going to take longer than that to get him on grade level...maybe he wouldn't ever be on grade level and that would be ok. But he would learn and wouldn't be drug along in misery. 

I still did do plan for him to go back to public school at some point (that point was Junior High back when we were in a district where my older son just loved the school...and where the school had three amazing electives and minimal homework.  Now that we are in a more "rigorous" district where my junior higher has only one elective, and not much choice in that, and 1-2 hours of homework a night, I'm backing off from that...looking into charters and aiming for high school in stead. )

Then, this morning, my husband said this...

"M... is reading so well. I think he'll be ready to go back to school by next year."

And with that piece of praise with a side of unintentional gut punch I realized my husband was still on the "few years and back" plan...

And I'm not even ready for that.  I actually have lesson ideas set aside for a couple years from now.   Just so not ready.

But is my son ready?   Would that be better for him?   Wow.  That's a question.

Now that we're in California, we could homeschool through a charter and some local charters have regular classroom schools too, though they still allow a lot of independance in homeschooling.  I actually was already thinking of trying out a charter that does both homeschool and classroom school  BEFORE this happened.   I was looking into gradually getting him ready for a classroom setting...maybe seeing if he could do classes a couple days a week through a charter, and I could homeschool the other days.  So, I guess in some ways I was thinking this too. (AIN'T NO WAY he's going into the system that gives 2 hours of homework in middle school.)

Lots to think about.  

And unfortunately this conversation happened right as my husband was leaving for a trip, so I couldn't talk with him much about it then.   But maybe that's a good thing...gives me time to think through things. 

by on Nov. 17, 2017 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JasonsMom2007
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2017 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm in California and use a charter. We don't do in person classes but my son will be taking an online algebra class next year.
It sounds like a good plan to me.
Angela4boys
by Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 10:17 AM
2 moms liked this

We started with the intentions of homeschooling for a year (we started because of a move).  I almost gave up within just a couple months...but then something in me changed.  The thought of sending them to school gave me great anxiety...and that's totally not who I am.  My kids thrived in PS, had great grades, were athletic, I worked with the PTA...so I have no clue where these feelings were coming from, but they were real.  I told my husband and he really wanted to send them back to school, but also respected my feelings to keep them home.  Still at times he really felt that we should send them back for various reasons, and we would talk it out.  Well, then something in him changed too...and he started commenting to me here and there, "I'm really glad you're homeschooling them."  So now we are in our 6th year....our oldest will be graduating high school this year, and our youngest is in 1st grade.  I don't see us ever being a public school family again.  

I personally think as parents we have to stick to our convictions.  

LostTheSlipper
by Group Admin on Nov. 21, 2017 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm in CA. I would say, if you look into charters know exactly what the "days off" are like. One woman I know had her kids in one (and I'm sorry, I can't tell you the name of it...don't even know if she said) and the days the kids didn't have school they had a very strict workload about what had to be done each day by the time they went to their next actual "school" day. She hated it and was pulling them because, well, to her that wasn't homeschool. She had no say on much of anything.

Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 10:03 AM
For us, ps just is never going to be an option.

If it were me, I'd seriously think aboutwhy you pulled him in the first place. I mean, apparently,the system failed at some point, in some way. So to put him back in the very system that failed him before doesn't really make ant sense. But that's just me.
collinsmommy0
by Kim on Nov. 30, 2017 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I’m in California’s & use a charter with a lot of freedom. I pick the curriculum, we meet with the teacher once a month where I hand in samples from each subject & tell her what we worked on, and they give me $2000 per child for curriculum & classes. It’s been amazing. I have a lot of freedom.....although the charter I use does require an online assessment 2x per year plus state testing.

My son has done STEM based science classes at the school, has gone to an art class for a year, is doing horse riding lessons, and I have gotten a lot of stuff from lakeshore for educational resources with his funding.

In our area, there are at least 6 different charter homeschools that you can attend. I would look into the ones in your area.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)