Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Second Thoughts

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:08 PM
  • 10 Replies
I just got my letter from the school board stating that my kids are set to homeschool. They notified our school for us.

I'm having some second thoughts?

Was this too hasty?

I didn't know that I couldnt change my mind once I sent the letter.

I don't know what keeping them in their school would entail!

Help.

Do I just move forward?
by on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovingladyo4
by New Member on Nov. 23, 2017 at 12:04 AM

Hello momma - you sound stressed about your decision. You may want to call the school and set up an appointment to ask more questions, or, perhaps there is a website explaining all the details surrounding homeschooling and school enrollment. In order to be successful at homeschooling, it's wise to be strong in your commitment. 

Healthyz3
by New Member on Nov. 23, 2017 at 5:06 AM
Thank you. I'm most worried about their socialization.

Quoting lovingladyo4:

Hello momma - you sound stressed about your decision. You may want to call the school and set up an appointment to ask more questions, or, perhaps there is a website explaining all the details surrounding homeschooling and school enrollment. In order to be successful at homeschooling, it's wise to be strong in your commitment. 

lovingladyo4
by New Member on Nov. 23, 2017 at 9:16 AM

If a child is secure in who they are, and have developed interpersonal relationships right within the family structure, they will automatically be social. Being around people isn't what makes them social. 

There are ways to let your child interact with others. There most likely are groups right within your own community you may not have discovered yet. Library activities. recreation activities, Field trips, Gym and swim classes, art classes, etc. are all ways your child can be exposed to others. But a child's self worth and self esteem will dictate their social skills.

Quoting Healthyz3: Thank you. I'm most worried about their socialization.
Quoting lovingladyo4:

Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2017 at 9:26 AM
Oh, please, please,please, I beg you,
please don't fall for that decades old myth! That is the single most unfounded belief about homeschooling. Let's be real here, how much socialization do you think they actually do in school? And is it quality, positive socialization? The actual definition of socialization is being able to function in society. School is hardly any accurate representation of society. More like Lord Of The Flies. Get them out in the real world, out of the artificial environment, building real relationships with actual society, not just same age peers in a contrived setting.

When you homeschool,you have 24 hours 7 days a week to devote to their interests, needs, passions, curiosities, and character development. That can't possibly be done in a PS setting.

Quoting lovingladyo4:

Healthyz3
by New Member on Nov. 23, 2017 at 1:32 PM
They connect well with others! They have great grades.

Quoting lovingladyo4:

If a child is secure in who they are, and have developed interpersonal relationships right within the family structure, they will automatically be social. Being around people isn't what makes them social. 

There are ways to let your child interact with others. There most likely are groups right within your own community you may not have discovered yet. Library activities. recreation activities, Field trips, Gym and swim classes, art classes, etc. are all ways your child can be exposed to others. But a child's self worth and self esteem will dictate their social skills.

Quoting lovingladyo4:

Healthyz3
by New Member on Nov. 23, 2017 at 1:33 PM
I'm not a social person. I only have a few friends. I worry about them. Realistically thus year they haven't gotten on birthday party invite from school. No play dates etc.

They are in girl scouts, swimming, and they love art.

Quoting Leissaintexas: Oh, please, please,please, I beg you,
please don't fall for that decades old myth! That is the single most unfounded belief about homeschooling. Let's be real here, how much socialization do you think they actually do in school? And is it quality, positive socialization? The actual definition of socialization is being able to function in society. School is hardly any accurate representation of society. More like Lord Of The Flies. Get them out in the real world, out of the artificial environment, building real relationships with actual society, not just same age peers in a contrived setting.

When you homeschool,you have 24 hours 7 days a week to devote to their interests, needs, passions, curiosities, and character development. That can't possibly be done in a PS setting.

Quoting lovingladyo4:

Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Nov. 25, 2017 at 2:25 AM

Have you looked into homeschool co-ops in your area?   At first when my son started homeschooling he seemed to withdraw a little, and I worried that maybe the homeschool socialization thing wasn't a myth. But then we got involved in a co-op and pretty soon he had more friends and regular play dates than his two older brother's still in public school ever did. The co-op was just once a week, doing a few classes and play time with other kids (a group of about 25 kids in all, ranging from baby to teen). Probably just the playing would have done it.  

Even if there's not a co-op, if you can find a local homeschooling group they may have a park playday or something like that.  (I found some on facebook by just searching my city and "homeschooling/homeschool" and then limiting the search to groups).

It really helped me socially too.   Our co-op was free so parents needed to be there to help out...but that was such a blessing because it gave me a chance to get to know the other moms (and a few dads).   Those people were my life support.

Quoting Healthyz3: I'm not a social person. I only have a few friends. I worry about them. Realistically thus year they haven't gotten on birthday party invite from school. No play dates etc. They are in girl scouts, swimming, and they love art.
Quoting Leissaintexas: Oh, please, please,please, I beg you, please don't fall for that decades old myth! That is the single most unfounded belief about homeschooling. Let's be real here, how much socialization do you think they actually do in school? And is it quality, positive socialization? The actual definition of socialization is being able to function in society. School is hardly any accurate representation of society. More like Lord Of The Flies. Get them out in the real world, out of the artificial environment, building real relationships with actual society, not just same age peers in a contrived setting. When you homeschool,you have 24 hours 7 days a week to devote to their interests, needs, passions, curiosities, and character development. That can't possibly be done in a PS setting.
Quoting lovingladyo4:

Healthyz3
by New Member on Nov. 25, 2017 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Hello, I have looked into homeschooling groups in my area. I have also started preparing for the week.

I plan to use the Easy Peasy curriculum and supplement from there. Thank you.

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Have you looked into homeschool co-ops in your area?   At first when my son started homeschooling he seemed to withdraw a little, and I worried that maybe the homeschool socialization thing wasn't a myth. But then we got involved in a co-op and pretty soon he had more friends and regular play dates than his two older brother's still in public school ever did. The co-op was just once a week, doing a few classes and play time with other kids (a group of about 25 kids in all, ranging from baby to teen). Probably just the playing would have done it.  

Even if there's not a co-op, if you can find a local homeschooling group they may have a park playday or something like that.  (I found some on facebook by just searching my city and "homeschooling/homeschool" and then limiting the search to groups).

It really helped me socially too.   Our co-op was free so parents needed to be there to help out...but that was such a blessing because it gave me a chance to get to know the other moms (and a few dads).   Those people were my life support.

Quoting Healthyz3: I'm not a social person. I only have a few friends. I worry about them. Realistically thus year they haven't gotten on birthday party invite from school. No play dates etc.

They are in girl scouts, swimming, and they love art.

Quoting Leissaintexas: Oh, please, please,please, I beg you,

Quoting lovingladyo4:

gramabrenda
by Member on Nov. 30, 2017 at 12:01 PM

I think what you are going through is pretty normal. I don't know how much thought and effort you and your husband put into the decision to homeschool but I am sure you didn't do it lightly. You have rec'd some great advice in other posts so I can suggest that you go back to your original thoughts. I know you want to do what is best for your child. One thing for sure if homeschooling turns out to not to be the best decision you can regroup and put the child back in school. In the meantime they will have rec'd some benefits from the experience. I pray that you will make the right decision for the right reason and that you and your family will be blessed. You sound like a great mom and I am sure you will do the right thing.

collinsmommy0
by Kim on Nov. 30, 2017 at 5:23 PM
They notified the school so that the school stops getting funding for them. I wouldn’t be worried about socialization - there are plenty of places to make friends outside of school!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)