Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No more spelling?

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2018 at 3:39 AM
  • 9 Replies
Ds just finished all about spelling level 7. That's as far as it goes! What do I do next is he just done with spelling?
by on Jan. 24, 2018 at 3:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2018 at 9:17 AM
How old is he? Is he a good speller?

That's only one program. There are other ways to implement spelling if he needs it. Journaling, essays, research projects, proposals, short stories, good quality literature are all ways to build spelling. It doesn't have to be a curriculum.

I never did a formal spelling lesson. I didn't see the point since everything we did involved spelling in some capacity.
coala
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2018 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't necessarcily stop.  You need to continue with vocabulary words.  Take them from his Language, History, Science and anything else he is studying.

Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Jan. 25, 2018 at 1:16 PM

I would probably just combine spelling and vocab at the that point....make lists from books you're reading, or subjects your teaching (like science vocab, history vocab).   Also, make lists of words he continues to mispell and focus on those.   Homophones are another one to focus on.  

Or, another idea is to work off of the most common misspelled words:

http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/spelling-and-word-lists/misspelled.html

You could test him first on a section of these and only do practice work on those words he doesn't already spell right.

JasonsMom2007
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2018 at 2:10 PM
He's 10 and he's an avid reader so he's a better speller than I am. I'm considering using any words he misspells as his list.

Quoting Leissaintexas: How old is he? Is he a good speller?

That's only one program. There are other ways to implement spelling if he needs it. Journaling, essays, research projects, proposals, short stories, good quality literature are all ways to build spelling. It doesn't have to be a curriculum.

I never did a formal spelling lesson. I didn't see the point since everything we did involved spelling in some capacity.
PinkButterfly66
by on Jan. 25, 2018 at 2:17 PM

There are lots of online sites for spelling.  My daughter's High School used Wordly Wise for English spelling test and there's an online site for quizzing and it's FREE!

https://www.vocabtest.com/wordly_wise_3000/

Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2018 at 2:27 PM
Oh,well then I'd just ditch spelling as a subject entirely. If he's a voracious reader, he likely doesn't need any additional formal spelling. Consider it done. It's like grammar. There's only so much you can learn. Once you learn it,
you're done.
Quoting JasonsMom2007: He's 10 and he's an avid reader so he's a better speller than I am. I'm considering using any words he misspells as his list.

Quoting Leissaintexas: How old is he? Is he a good speller?

Bethbeth
by Member on Jan. 26, 2018 at 4:59 PM

Read this!

https://blog.allaboutlearningpress.com/after-all-about-spelling/

collinsmommy0
by Kim on Jan. 29, 2018 at 1:35 PM
Most kids don’t have spelling tests beyond grade 5 or 6. I would ditch the spelling. You can still use vocabulary words but no need to memorize them - match to their meanings, etc.

Omg 7 levels. We are barely 1/3 of the way through level 1 AAS & I find it boring!
JasonsMom2007
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2018 at 2:46 PM
We've never used the tiles just pen and paper. And once he hit level 4 or so he started reading the lesson himself. He's all about rules so it works great for him. My dd uses spelling you see because lists and rules don't work for her.

Quoting collinsmommy0: Most kids don’t have spelling tests beyond grade 5 or 6. I would ditch the spelling. You can still use vocabulary words but no need to memorize them - match to their meanings, etc.

Omg 7 levels. We are barely 1/3 of the way through level 1 AAS & I find it boring!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)