Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lesson Plans?

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2018 at 3:44 PM
  • 11 Replies

How far ahead do you plan your lessons....a month ahead....6 months ahead....no plan ahead??

by on Feb. 3, 2018 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Member on Feb. 3, 2018 at 3:47 PM

I use a boxed curriculum so I go into the lesson plans and write out in a teacher plan book what their lessons are every week. I do have my oldest's finished for the rest of 6th grade though as she will finish it in 2 weeks. I just ordered her new curriculum yesterday so when it comes she will start it. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2018 at 9:49 AM
No lesson plans. We don't operate that formally. I used to, because I had not yet developed the confidence to go my own way. I had lesson plans worked out 6 weeks in advance and by week two,they were in the trash. Life just kept happening and throwing us off . We just aren't that scheduled. After 12 years, I'm just pretty much full on unschooler.
auntangelofsix
by Member on Feb. 4, 2018 at 11:50 AM
No lesson plans he works at his own pace with flvs.
sweetserenit292
by Member on Feb. 4, 2018 at 1:14 PM

Quoting Leissaintexas: No lesson plans. We don't operate that formally. I used to, because I had not yet developed the confidence to go my own way. I had lesson plans worked out 6 weeks in advance and by week two,they were in the trash. Life just kept happening and throwing us off . We just aren't that scheduled. After 12 years, I'm just pretty much full on unschooler.

Life and lessons plans didn't work well for me either.  I choose a math, spelling, and writing program that I know will work well for them (ages:10, 9 , 5) and take it day by day.  Science, history, life skills are incorporated  as we live each day.

all2gethernow
by Member on Feb. 4, 2018 at 1:16 PM
I’m graduating my fourth child in 3 weeks, so-finally done.
I used to plan our entire year during the month of August.
I never used a boxed curriculum, but a mixture of programs and resources.
Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Feb. 5, 2018 at 11:55 AM

I have a general idea of the broad goals/topics I want to cover during the year (with some flexibility for interest led learning).   I sometimes have a general idea of what I'm doing in some subjects for up to month out.  Specific plans are usually weekly with some planning and tweaking done daily. 

gramabrenda
by Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I have done both-using lesson plans and "flying by the seat of my pants." It seems like it really depends on the teacher and the student and the kind of environment which surrounds your learning experiences. I have used an eclectic curriculum and a more organized one. But even when I use a structured curriculum we are open to those "wonderful learning moments" that can't be planned and shouldn't be ignored for the sake of organization. To say all that-it really depends on the who, how, where, what and when.

collinsmommy0
by Kim on Feb. 10, 2018 at 9:52 PM
On Thursday or Friday, I fill in the minimum I want to get done in my plan book. When we do more, I write it down in the plan book as well, just so I know what we did when I meet with our charter teacher (I write down a summary of what we do each month for her)

If I don’t get to what I planned, I don’t get stressed about it
coala
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2018 at 8:27 PM

We use a boxed curriculum.

I make out 9 weeks (1 semester for us) of sheets that list when my kids can expect tests, quizes and due dates for book reports, etc.  On a calendar I write out our tentative schedule and put that in a folder that my kids have access too.  Then I add their competition schedule to that and they can decide to work ahead or stay on target.  My kids are known for working ahead, so that they can stay ahead when they have to take time off for invitationals.  We are almost through our first semester and then my kids will get a week off.

lovingladyo4
by Member on Mar. 10, 2018 at 3:09 PM

Me personally? About two weeks ahead. It helps to divide the year out into weeks so you have a measuring stick to stay on track. I tried to make the schedule seem as close to how it would be done if they were in school. This was a discipline for me as well as for them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)