Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! Social Studies Frustration!

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2018 at 8:43 PM
  • 8 Replies

I will be homeschooling(kids ages 8,10 and 6) beginning this coming year. I have found Science, Art, Geography and History curriculum that I can use for multiple ages. Is there such a thing for Social Studies? What does everyone recommend for Social Studies in general. For some reason this subject is giving me the most trouble figuring out how to go about teaching it.

by on Mar. 2, 2018 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
scorpiodragon
by on Mar. 2, 2018 at 8:46 PM

Combine History and Geography into Social Studies.  At least that is how it was done when I was in elementary school and middle school.  Geography and US History/World History weren't their own separate subjects until I was in high school though World History was its own course when I started 6th grade which as a K-6 elementary school.   

You could throw in government and civics into the topic of Social Studies as well.  Maybe do some world geography as part of social studies as well (maps, latitude/longitude, the 7 continents, etc.).

Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Mar. 4, 2018 at 4:00 AM

Story of the World would be wonderful for those ages.    My son started when he was 7 and loves it still at 10. 

Now, I went very slow, sometimes even splitting a subchapter into two so I could go at his pace, cause he has a short attention spand, and I added hands on things DURING the reading if possible for him, as well as pictures from online or library books to go with it.  I've blogged about this (see my "Adjustment for Short Attention Span Learners" and I have links to some of our individual lessons here.... http://imaginativehomeschool.blogspot.com/2016/09/story-of-world-our-lessons-plans.html )

I know you may be thinking...if you had to tweak it that much does it really work with someone that young.   But I've appreciated it more the longer I've used it.  I love how it weaves the civilizations, how there's lots of questions in the text to bring wandering minds back, and how it sort of reviews as it goes (There's lots of statements like "Remember the ruler who did this...well, this other ruler did things differently...," and that allows you to remind your kids abou things you've already learned.)

Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2018 at 10:15 AM
SS isn't it's own separate subject. This is more a tomato/tomahto kind of thing. History, geography, local community helpers, studying their own little world ; it's all "social studies". For some reason,it's called SS when they're younger, then it's called history.
Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Mar. 7, 2018 at 1:44 AM

Yes...quoting myself here.   Sorry, I missed that you had history.  

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Story of the World would be wonderful for those ages.    My son started when he was 7 and loves it still at 10. 

Now, I went very slow, sometimes even splitting a subchapter into two so I could go at his pace, cause he has a short attention spand, and I added hands on things DURING the reading if possible for him, as well as pictures from online or library books to go with it.  I've blogged about this (see my "Adjustment for Short Attention Span Learners" and I have links to some of our individual lessons here.... http://imaginativehomeschool.blogspot.com/2016/09/story-of-world-our-lessons-plans.html )

I know you may be thinking...if you had to tweak it that much does it really work with someone that young.   But I've appreciated it more the longer I've used it.  I love how it weaves the civilizations, how there's lots of questions in the text to bring wandering minds back, and how it sort of reviews as it goes (There's lots of statements like "Remember the ruler who did this...well, this other ruler did things differently...," and that allows you to remind your kids abou things you've already learned.)

Angela4boys
by Member on Mar. 7, 2018 at 8:59 AM

Social studies is the study of the world around us.  So it's things like, who is a police officer, what do they do...how does the post office work....visiting the police station...what happens behind the scenes at the grocery store, cultures, etc, etc.  You really don't need a curriculum, you can just get out in the world and live it.  Lots of great discussion, field trips, etc, is your best social studies curriculum.  

gramabrenda
by Member on Mar. 9, 2018 at 10:28 AM
We used Abeka Curriculum and added the New Tribes Bible course and a children's Chronological Bible. Along with this study. We started by studying our neighborhood. We did neighborhood activities. Helping others, sending cards to the sick, baking goodies and delivering, going to the fire, police, library etc. and visiting with elderly neighbors and asking them to give us history. We built a railroad layout complete with town set up and put families in the houses. We had a post office, library, police and fire dept. We would talk and write about this town. My grandson found some things on Alaska (we live in Mississippi) and wanted half the town to be Alaska and the other half Mississippi. This become real interesting even if it wasn't topically accurate. We compared people, places, climate, dress, activities etc. We are moving and had to tear it down. My grandson had become so attached to people and places we had a hard time getting him to put them in boxes. He told us how sad the people were and we talked and wrote stories. This town had become so real to him that we used it to work through so issues of relationships and how they change, moving and the changes and other social issues.

Next year, 4th grade we are going to the state and will take the same approach. We look at how things are the same and different in Bible times and today. I really felt the same way about Social Studies but I have really gotten interested in this and enjoyed the participation. We have often invited other homeschoolers to add to this study. When we meet someone from another part of the country/world we find it on the globe. Abeka also has map skills which really add to this study. The World's curriculum in another post looks very interesting.
lovingladyo4
by Member on Mar. 10, 2018 at 3:12 PM
braxma14
by Member on Mar. 14, 2018 at 7:41 AM

https://www.macmillanmh.com/socialstudies/2003-5/teacher/workbooks.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)