Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Schooling space?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2018 at 8:21 AM
  • 11 Replies
Ok ladies do you have a specific schooling space or is it just usually the kitchen table?

We pulled our son out this week again (different district) and before we homeschooled on a small desk in our living room/ kitchen area. We’ve since moved to a larger home and I would like to have a designated space. I’m torn between using an upstairs bedroom that we already use as office space or doing a smaller nook in our front room. I like the idea of the upstairs bedroom where we could spread out more, less distractions, and do more “school” decorating. Plus if people are over and it’s a mess, just shut the door. But I’m concerned with it being on the second floor that might get tired of it up there. So for those of you that have a designated space, is it closer to the main living areas or tucked away in a quiet space?
by on Mar. 8, 2018 at 8:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sestra
by New Member on Mar. 8, 2018 at 8:31 AM
We have two living rooms; one is just for Kiddo (homeschool and play). The two rooms aren't far apart, so communication and assistance are never an issue, but they're also not so close that distractions are a problem. :)
sunshinensmoke
by New Member on Mar. 8, 2018 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

We have an area set up in our dining/living area.  Two long desks; computers, printers and what not.  We will be adding more to it (still have 6 months before we begin).  As far as a mess, I don't really care who sees it.  LOL  My dad always said - Martha Stewart isn't coming over for a visit and those people don't pay your bills.  :p

CannotCount
by New Member on Mar. 8, 2018 at 8:53 AM
We use a bedroom as a school area. We are in a bilevel so it’s on the main level.
Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Mar. 9, 2018 at 12:58 AM

Unfortunately my homeschool space is all over the living room right now.  

asnmdirteha
by Member on Mar. 9, 2018 at 5:09 AM

I would say the less distraction for the kids the better, so maybe on the second floor? 

lovingladyo4
by Member on Mar. 9, 2018 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Can you use both spaces? The upstairs room can be "Homeroom" and the downstairs can be like walking down the hall to another "classroom". Subjects that don't require the supplies and environment of the upstairs can be done downstairs, like reading, spelling games, exercise class, studying, etc. The change of scenery throughout the day may break up the monotony for your child and give him some things to anticipate. 

I implemented numerous learning games when I homeschooled so we even did a jumping game up and down the steps, across the lawn, up and down the driveway, and things like that. Learning became fun! And kids love anything different!!!

Don't be afraid to explore your options. Soon enough you'll settle into a routine that compliments your idea of how you desire to teach your child. Have fun!

Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2018 at 9:47 AM
We never actually used our designated space. We always just ended up on the couch.
gramabrenda
by Member on Mar. 9, 2018 at 10:24 AM

Schooling space is always a consideration and it seems that the needs change as you go on.  We worked on the kitchen table with our Jr. High/High Schooling children. Now I homeschool my grandson and we have one area (the kitchen island) that we seem to gravitate to. We have a desk in his room (where he stays when he spends the night and plays), a desk in the living room (we use this a lot and works great for seatwork) and a desk in our office, where his computer is located and he works when he is doing research or just wants to be near us to take a test or do seatwork. We sometimes use the dining room table. Homeschooling space can take over your life if you are not careful. I am not terribly concerned over what people see when they come. For special events we "clean up" the social space and the rest is "ours". I think the best way for most is to have a designated space and then be somewhat flexible about using it; if the students are well behaved and doing well in their work. I have found that for most families having a designated space gives them a more realistic attitude about school responsibilities and helps to maintain a reasonable schedule.

LostTheSlipper
by Group Admin on Mar. 10, 2018 at 3:04 PM

Yep. Our dining room is our "school" room. There's a board on the wall, posters. A corkboard (which used to have school stuff - it's small - but not it holds random weird pictures lol.) We have a table that has his computer on one side and the other side is where he does his work. There is also a tv and dvd player for his "classes" - just started with those this year. A bookshelf for things like dictionaries and reference books.

I think it's best that ours is downstairs. I can do laundry, work in the kitchen and prep stuff or bake, etc and he's only a room away. He's older now, but would easily get distracted, so this way I could keep an eye on him or am there to easily help if necessary.

kuntrylady56
by New Member on Mar. 13, 2018 at 3:00 PM

When I first started homeschooling in my home I had the downstairs spare bedroom set up as the classroom. When we were in that space it meant it was class time, just as in a school setting. I was lucky enough to attain osme used school desks for the kids and had my "teachers" desk in front. But I usually was setting with the children as we did their class work. We had differnt areas and as the children got older the class room went from preschool to middle school. We also had our play area in the rec room and kuch was upstairs in the kitchen, which was a science lab sometime too.lol

Where I am working now they did have a very nice classroom set up in building seperate from the house but it had no heat so they moved inside and upstairs where their living room used to be. Unfortunately this causes frequent distractions that availble to the children. Especially when one gets distracted easily and the other uses it to escape when she dosen't feel shes getting her way or just dosen't want to do school work that day.

I prefer a room seperate from the rest of the house if I am schooling more then one child and it helps to keep them focused more easily.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)