Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to find the right homeschool program?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2018 at 7:33 PM
  • 5 Replies

Before I bring up the idea of home school to my husband I’d like to find a program that will work for us. Ideally I’d like to have the ability for my kids (who will be 6th and 8th grade) to work at their own pace but have online videos and access to a tutor. They would like to be able to work ahead and not necessarily be constrained to a traditional school year. 

Is there a place to go for ratings for home school programs? I’m a bit overwhelmed with all of the options! 

Thank you

by on Mar. 21, 2018 at 7:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by on Mar. 22, 2018 at 12:45 AM
You can go to Cathyduffyreviews.com to read reviews on different curriculum. Also, you might want to go over to the Well-Trained Mind forums and read different threads. There are always tons of discussions about different curriculum.
Just for a heads up: WTM forums will be down from 3/24/18–3/28/18. They will be implementing a forum upgrade.
gramabrenda
by Member on Mar. 22, 2018 at 2:32 PM
The search for the right homeschool for you and your children starts with asking questions. Seems like you have already made a good start on this process. The great thing about homeschool is you can add and subtract as you go. Keep what is working (and probably what you have already paid for) and let go of what doesn't end up working for you. Worse case scenario you change next year. There are really very few one case fits all curriculums out there. Community service projects, home projects,  mentors, sports, lessons, creative thinking and field trips all complement whatever curriculum you use. There are almost what seems like unlimited resources to help you in teaching your children.

Blessings to you as you begin this journey. Don't forget to ask the kids what they think and Dad will probably have a few ideas of his own.
cafemomuser57
by on Mar. 23, 2018 at 11:28 AM

Homeschooling can be a great education option. I homeschooled our boys thru middle school & part of HS. I would consider talking to your husband first & allowing him to be part of the process in picking a program that best fits your kids' needs & learning style. He might have some thoughts & ideas/insight that you may not. Together you can bounce ideas off each other & make an informed decision. Some counties have a local resources center for homeschooling so doing a Google search might yield good results. There are also many good online options. This site offers free online resources. https://bit.ly/2mxX8hQ

There are also many Christian homeschooling resources if that is what you prefer. This article discusses effective homeschooling from that perspective. https://bit.ly/2ua7oRW

All the best to you & your family! 

Bleacher-mom
by Member on Mar. 23, 2018 at 9:44 PM
One of the best books I read is So You’re Thinking of Homeschooling by Lisa Whelchel. It goes over many different styles and programs.
Scribbleprints
by Group Admin on Mar. 24, 2018 at 1:57 AM

What state are you in (if you don't mind saying)?  If you happen to be in California, it sounds like what you're looking for is either an independant study charter school, or an umbrella school. 

If not, you might find what you're looking for here (sorry I can't comment cause I haven't tried any of these):  https://techiehomeschoolmom.com/outschool-live-online-homeschool-classes/?doing_wp_cron=1521870956.5944709777832031250000

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)