Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you use Unit Studies?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2018 at 3:15 PM
  • 7 Replies

I've been doing some researching and it seems there are lots of benefits to Unit Studies; as far as teaching more than one grade level is concerned.  But my question is - do you use them?  Have you?  I'd like some opinions or reviews before I get too invested in them.

by on Apr. 3, 2018 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Thewife06
by Member on Apr. 4, 2018 at 1:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I have looked into it for next year. I think it would be beneficial to have several subjects merged together into a unit. My son is really interested in American history. So we are going to start with 1600-1850 and then encompass American geography for that time period, scientific discoveries, poems of that time period, books based in that time that are at a third grade reading level, arts and crafts, you name it. There's so much you can do for unit studies. However, math is just going to have to be math, lol!
sunshinensmoke
by New Member on Apr. 4, 2018 at 7:44 AM

Quoting Thewife06: I have looked into it for next year. I think it would be beneficial to have several subjects merged together into a unit. My son is really interested in American history. So we are going to start with 1600-1850 and then encompass American geography for that time period, scientific discoveries, poems of that time period, books based in that time that are at a third grade reading level, arts and crafts, you name it. There's so much you can do for unit studies. However, math is just going to have to be math, lol!

LOL  The Dreaded Math!  

mcginnisc
by Member on Apr. 4, 2018 at 8:38 AM

I've never used them. I have always just used Abeka as that is what they used in private school before we pulled them. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Thewife06
by Member on Apr. 4, 2018 at 10:42 AM
It's not even dreaded math. My oldest 'gets' it fairly easily, but I want him to know WHY we do what we do with numbers. We are torn between Math-U-See and RightStart.

I just get really frustrated with his answers of 'because that's what my teacher said to do' when I ask him why he does something. When I was watching the MUS demonstration video for his level we would be going into, the guy brought this exact thing up and I was like 'YES!' But then reading about RS I'm like 'that would work so well for him!' I just can't decide.

My husband is just like 'he can do it, isn't that the point?' Nope. It's not. We are not the state, we are his parents and he will understand why things are the way they are, not 'just because' for the state test. I can't even describe it, but knowing what the math 'rules' are is what helped me in school with math. The difference is that I figured out those rules myself because that's the kind of person I am. My son would just bop along and then when stuff gets harder later on, he'd get upset with it. I don't want that for him.

Quoting sunshinensmoke:

Quoting Thewife06: I have looked into it for next year. I think it would be beneficial to have several subjects merged together into a unit. My son is really interested in American history. So we are going to start with 1600-1850 and then encompass American geography for that time period, scientific discoveries, poems of that time period, books based in that time that are at a third grade reading level, arts and crafts, you name it. There's so much you can do for unit studies. However, math is just going to have to be math, lol!

LOL  The Dreaded Math!  

coala
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2018 at 11:04 AM

I've wanted to use them, but I could never really figure out how to incorporate them into what we do.

gramabrenda
by Member on Apr. 20, 2018 at 11:40 AM

I really like unit studies but as a teacher I know that they don't work well for Elementary children. There is too much to absorb and as "concrete learners" they are not developmentally ready for that kind of study. They need the variety and the covering of the basics before they are ready for "block/unit study".  Jr High schoolers are ready to begin some unit type studies. This often works best when combined with more general studies or does a good job of incorporating the other subjects, as long as the basics are strong and well practised.

High schoolers do great in this type of curriculum and it prepares them for college. Sometimes in upper elementary I add a unit study to our curriculum for fun. Usually it is something the student is interested in finding out more about. I also do this at the end of the school year when it is hard to keep their minds on learning and Spring Fever hits.

Enjoy and have fun. Hope this helps.
Angela4boys
by Member on May. 11, 2018 at 10:30 AM

My 6 kids range from 18 down to 3 weeks.  We have at times used unit studies almost exclusively.  I'm always changing things up though, in order to keep things fresh.  I just happened to be planning a unit study right now for next week, I just reserved some library books this morning.  I think they work great for family style learning.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)