Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How many classes do you take at once??

Posted by on May. 19, 2012 at 7:57 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 278 Total Views

I am not in my program yet have to take some math courses first. My question is should i take one class at a time?? Or should i sign up for some preqs first?? I might be on a year or so waiting list so i was gonna take some preq's then too what do you do??? My school doesnt require any set amount of classes to take till you get in the program full time

by on May. 19, 2012 at 7:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
CamoSchafer
by New Member on May. 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM

In our program you have to take all Nursing classes acordding to schedule & you can only take them upon aceptance to the program. However, we've noticed that in order to get accepted into the program the more classes you have done the better. Our average course number is between 3 & 5 a semester. However, I've completed ALL non nursing classes prior to entering the program. I only take 3 nursing classes a semester and this summer semester only 2. It's tough enough with just nursing classes. We've had 3 people who couldn't keep up with other classes and nursing classes. However, I am in a an accelerated program as well. 

SusanD
by Member on May. 19, 2012 at 11:52 AM
When I was working on pre-reqs I tried to get as many pre-reqs and co-reqs out of the way as quickly as possible so I took between 12 and 18hrs per semester during that time. Once in the program it was outlined very specifically what Reed we were to take the courses in and how many per semester we were to take.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmclife58
by Member on May. 21, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I took 5 classes last semester, but I do not recommend that for starters. 

Cindylou6
by New Member on May. 23, 2012 at 1:34 AM
2 moms liked this

Hi! I am in the process of doing my pre-reqs now! Start slow, especially if u havent been in school a while. I started with a math and an english. However this semester I am nervous. I need a chemistry and a biology but im considering doing one at a time. I want to keep my gpa up. Start with one or two classes. one you have your pre reqs done and u apply and get in, you can focus on starting to take other required classes. Esp if ur gonna be on the waiting list.  you know what u can handle. dont be ashamed to start slow. and if u keep up. add another class the next semester. Good luck!

TheRyan6
by New Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 11:59 AM

For my school, there are certain prereqs you have to take before you can even apply to the nursing program. You get extra "points" if you take all of the prereqs. I figure I need all the points I can get b/c it's so competitive, so I'm planning to take all the prereqs before even applying. I'll be going full time (15-18 hours/semester). It's a lot, but it's no worse than the actual program itself. I'd rather go fulltime now than try to take extra classes during the program.

KeimUNCmomof3
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I am in the process of taking prerequisites. i just started school in august 2012.  i started off with 13 units and ended up with 9.  next semester i will be taking 12 units.

jcampbell288
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I managed to get all of my prerequisite classes completed except A&P 1 and 2, Microbiology, and amarican gov. done b4 going into the program and am SOO glad i did. i dont think it would be possible to do any more than i am right now!

That means I took, 2 math classes, english 1 and 2, chem and chem lab, psych and developmental psych, history, pharmacology, medical termininology, intro to nursing, and nutriton in 2 semesters and a summer! with a 3.5 gpa! i say do all you can before getting into the program

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN