Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice starting Human Anatomy in Spring 2013

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:03 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 163 Total Views

I talked to my husband countless times about going back to school.  I already have my BS degree but always wanted to be a nurse but while I was in college and at the time of graduation I just wanted out and was tired of being poor and broke so I graduated and didn't take any extra prerequisites to try for the BSN degree at my college.

Now I am 38 years old with three and four year old boys.  My husband has just started a new company and requires my support there but I feel like I have NOTHING OF MY OWN.  It is seriously depressing.  I have already applied for Financial Aid and registered myself at the local community college to retake Anatomy & Physiology but haven't told him yet.  He mentioned earlier when we had this discussion that I was too old to try and go back to school and should stay on one path---having my book published.

I must admit that I have been blessed to be able to write but I also want this as well.  I am the type of person that believes that life is a journey and that no one is too old to reinvent themselves no matterr the age.  I need some serious advice or at least to hear from moms who are in a similar experience.

Thanks,

Sassyea

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
BabyloveCCR
by Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I agree...you are never too old to learn, go back to school, start a new career.  If this is something you have wanted for a long time and are passionate about, then you should go for it.

I was in a similar situation, I knew I wanted to do nursing around my sophomore year of college, but was told financially and educationally it would make more sense to finish my degree in music and return to get my BSN.  Then life happened...I had my son, was stuck in a crappy job, and found myself 5 years later with a miserable job.  I started working on my prereques in January 2011 and now I'm in my first semester of clinical.  It is SOO hard, but I know the end result is well worth it.  I'm fortunate to have a supportive husband, but he works 6 days/wk, often 10-12 hr days, so it is hard.  I also work about 20 hrs/wk, and with a son in KG, I have very little time to study, let alone have a life.

But, with all that said, you should always follow your dream.  Otherwise, you'll live out your days wondering what if.  Good luck, and if you ever need any insight, you are welcome to PM me. 

Tricia76
by Member on Oct. 20, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Never too old..I will be that age when I go back to school..I am 36 now..and in 2 years when my oldest goes to college I am going to nursing school no matter what..38 is definitely not too old.

noahscott
by Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I am only 23. But i am married and have two boys. 18 months and 5 years. i'm in my 2nd semester of clinical. it is hard and you're husband will have to help more but if its something you really want to do then go for it.. tell him what you want to do. there are people in my class 50-60 years old and they are getting along fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)