Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tips for..

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:13 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 552 Total Views
studying with a 2.5 year old, please. She's very busy and seeks attention. She loves to play all day and I am struggling with finding the time to study for my hard science course. DH works from morning to night so I'm mostly home alone with her, if I'm not working or in class.
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
eyezofblue76
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:22 PM

What are you working on in your sciences class?  I was thinking if your working on parts of the body maybe you could find something to print out and she could help you color code the parts??  Its tough trying to study with kids the only time I really found time was when they were asleep but I always wanted to be asleep myself!

mharleyghal
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:43 PM
Quoting eyezofblue76:

What are you working on in your sciences class?  I was thinking if your working on parts of the body maybe you could find something to print out and she could help you color code the parts??  Its tough trying to study with kids the only time I really found time was when they were asleep but I always wanted to be asleep myself!

Anatomy and Physiology 1. I have tried getting up earlier and going to bed later to study, and like you, I end up being so exhausted therefore my study session is half ass. Thing is, she can't sit still for long and before I know it she's in something or all over me, the computer, my books... etc. :/
musicpisces
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 3:15 AM

Are there any other moms in your classes, where you could trade off child care for study time?

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

ballerina18
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 3:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not in nursing school, but I went to college (undergrad) for neuroscience. I had to take a lot of hard science classes while my daughter was between the ages 0-4. One of the best things that helped me was taking dd to the art supply store, letting her choose a bunch of art supplies, and then sitting with my dd at our table at home. My dd would remain occupied for hours doing artwork while I would study.

Good luck!

mharleyghal
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:36 PM
Quoting ballerina18:

I'm not in nursing school, but I went to college (undergrad) for neuroscience. I had to take a lot of hard science classes while my daughter was between the ages 0-4. One of the best things that helped me was taking dd to the art supply store, letting her choose a bunch of art supplies, and then sitting with my dd at our table at home. My dd would remain occupied for hours doing artwork while I would study.

Good luck!

That sounds like a GREAT idea. Thank you!
mharleyghal
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:38 PM
Quoting musicpisces:

Are there any other moms in your classes, where you could trade off child care for study time?

Most of the women in my class are moms; however, they are much older than I am so their children are teens and adults. Plus, I'd never feel comfortable leaving my daughter with them. Thanks for the advice though :)
Purgatorian
by New Member on May. 8, 2014 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids are all older but they still bug the heck out of me when they are home.  I put my textbook in the bathroom.  So when I go in there to pee I read a few pages. It takes forever to get through the chapter but between that and flashcards I do alright in my A&P.

Also, before you leave class dedicate 20 minutes to reading before you pack it up and take off.  I usually scheduled in an extra half hour to my class so I can show up early or stay a few minutes late to read or study.

I study wherever I can.  Take your note/flash cards with you everywhere, so when she is entertained even for a few moments your looking at your material.  Be sure to watch a video on whatever system you're studying at least once a day, maybe right before you go to bed or before you get her up in the morning.  If she is watching a video, you watch one on your phone or laptop with earplugs in the same room with her. 

Use every spare minute in your day. Sneak time in for study in weird places, like I said the bathroom, soon as you wake, right before sleep, when you're in the tub, waiting at the doctors office, etc.

Seems crazy but Friday is my errand and grocery shopping day. My husband usually drives through and so I actually get the most amount of study time in on Fridays while he is driving me all around town! Weird, but it works.

mharleyghal
by on May. 8, 2014 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Purgatorian:

My kids are all older but they still bug the heck out of me when they are home.  I put my textbook in the bathroom.  So when I go in there to pee I read a few pages. It takes forever to get through the chapter but between that and flashcards I do alright in my A&P.

Also, before you leave class dedicate 20 minutes to reading before you pack it up and take off.  I usually scheduled in an extra half hour to my class so I can show up early or stay a few minutes late to read or study.

I study wherever I can.  Take your note/flash cards with you everywhere, so when she is entertained even for a few moments your looking at your material.  Be sure to watch a video on whatever system you're studying at least once a day, maybe right before you go to bed or before you get her up in the morning.  If she is watching a video, you watch one on your phone or laptop with earplugs in the same room with her. 

Use every spare minute in your day. Sneak time in for study in weird places, like I said the bathroom, soon as you wake, right before sleep, when you're in the tub, waiting at the doctors office, etc.

Seems crazy but Friday is my errand and grocery shopping day. My husband usually drives through and so I actually get the most amount of study time in on Fridays while he is driving me all around town! Weird, but it works.

Thank you!!!!!!
Purgatorian
by New Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh and hey these 2 sites were awesome help for me with A&P. Especially the Marieb site, tests and quizes you to.  That site quizlet has notecards you can print off too!

http://teachmeanatomy.info/the-basics/

http://wps.aw.com/bc_marieb_ehap_9/79/20307/5198647.cw/index.html

http://quizlet.com/subject/anatomy/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)