Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

CafeMom’s Summer Reading Retreat: Mystery! (Updated with new discussion link!)

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 2:25 PM
  • 45 Replies

Hi, everyone!

Welcome to CafeMom’s Summer Reading Retreat! For our mystery read, we’re thrilled to be reading Tom Franklin's latest: Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter!

Our discussion of chapters 1-4 can be found here! We're talking about chapters 5-9 here! And here's the link to our current discussion of chapters 10-14! DISCUSSION OF FINAL CHAPTERS AND OVERALL THOUGHTS HERE!

Here’s a little bit about the book:
In the 1970s, Larry Ott and Silas "32" Jones were boyhood pals in a small town in rural Mississippi. Their worlds were as different as night and day: Larry was the child of lower-middle-class white parents, and Silas, the son of a poor, black single mother. But then Larry took a girl to a drive-in movie and she was never seen or heard from again. He never confessed . . . and was never charged.

More than twenty years have passed. Larry lives a solitary, shunned existence, never able to rise above the whispers of suspicion. Silas has become the town constable. And now another girl has disappeared, forcing two men who once called each other "friend" to confront a past they've buried for decades.
(From BN.com)

A bit about the author:
Thomas G. Franklin was born in Dickinson, Alabama in 1963. He earned a BA in English from the University of South Alabama in Mobile, AL, and an MFA in fiction at the University of Arkansas in 1998. His other works include Smonk, Poachers, and Hell at The Breech. Read more about Tom Franklin and his works here and here.
(adapted from
Mississippi Writers and Musicians.com)

You can purchase the book here:

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

And here’s the reading schedule:
This week: chapters 1-4
Week 2 (6/20 – 6/26):
chapters 5-9
Week 3 (6/27 - 7/3): chapters 10-14
Week 4 (7/5 – 7/10): chapters 15-19

We’ll start discussing last week’s reading on the following Monday (so we’ll be discussing chapters 1-9 a week from today, Monday 6/20. The 4th of July holiday falls on a Monday, so that week’s discussion will begin on Tuesday 6/5). We know it can be hard to not read ahead, but if you do, please try to avoid spoilers until the discussion begins in fairness to those who haven’t finished that week’s reading yet.

Check out reviews for Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter here and here.

Rather read romance? Click here! >>

Or more of an exotic adventure? Click here! >>

HAPPY READING!

reading

by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jridgill
by Jennifer on Jun. 13, 2011 at 2:32 PM
If only I had time to read!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinangels
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 3:19 PM

sounds like fun!

Carolannie
by Carol on Jun. 13, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Does sound interesting~~think I'll see if the library has it.

Courtney610
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 4:41 PM

It will have to lower the price before my husband will let me download it..lol!

lenoxclan
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 12:03 AM
If I weren't on vacation I'd read it....... I may look for it at the library when I get back...
earthangel1967
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2011 at 2:53 AM

I like to read but I only enjoy reading nonfiction .. I like to learn about things or be inspired from my reading. 

Having a reading club in the group is a very cool idea though.

Mommee42boyz
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 11:11 AM

I'm in!

savedbygrace316
by Member on Jun. 14, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I'm going to give it a try.  I'm short on time so we'll see if I can keep up!

ChelsieAMH
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 11:38 AM

I am hoping to read it but man the way time is now...we will see.

1plustwinsmommy
by Member on Jun. 14, 2011 at 8:26 PM

This is why I joined the group. I just downloaded the book on my nook. Can't wait!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)