Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Mom Who Left Baby Outside So She Could Eat Inside Was Right

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2011 at 1:58 AM
  • 51 Replies

A mom in Massachusetts who left her baby outside of a restaurant in a stroller while she dined inside was being investigated by the authorities on Monday. Her defense? She's Swedish. And guess what else? She is right.

In Scandinavia it's perfectly normal to leave your baby outside. While she wasn't in Sweden, she was in Amherst, Massachusetts, where, perhaps, we're the ones who need to adjust. The fact is, we parents in the US do tend to be the hover-y, overly concerned types. We would sooner wake a sleeping baby and drag him screaming into a restaurant than let him sleep outside. That is just our culture. 

It's sad, really. I would never even think to leave my child outside anywhere, even in my own neighborhood. And the reason is fear.

Our culture is so full of fear that if I lose sight of my little blond son for three seconds out in public, panic sets in. Even if I see him on the fifth second, those two seconds in between feel like an eternity.

I am always waiting for the bogeyman to jump out of the bushes. If I could put my kids in a helmet and knee pads and not feel like a complete moron, you better believe I would.

A similar case won a Danish mom more than $60,000 in compensatory damages from New York City after she was arrested for leaving her baby daughter in a stroller on a New York City sidewalk to go inside a restaurant for a drink.

We US parents wouldn't dream of such a thing. In New York City no less! But realistically, our notions of the dangers are hyped up thanks to overactive imaginations and a 24-hour news cycle that seems to feature only the many horrors that befall children all over the country.

Our sense of danger is all out of whack in this culture, and we will see as the comments roll in just how. My bet is that 99 percent of you will see this mom as wrong. You will say you would never do it yourself. And you know what? I wouldn't either. But that doesn't mean she is wrong. We are. And it's sad.

Do you think this mom was wrong?

by on Aug. 27, 2011 at 1:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Starleet
by on Aug. 27, 2011 at 2:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm actually really surprised that's the norm for them.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Aug. 27, 2011 at 2:03 AM

Me too. Don't kidnappings happen over there too?

Sandra312619
by on Aug. 27, 2011 at 2:15 AM
2 moms liked this

That is crazy. There is no way on earth I would leave my baby outside. What if it was scared hungry, kidnapped. My dd is 6 and I still make her hold my hand as we walk anywhere in public. People are crazy and will take kids and do horrible things. I don't care if I seem over protective, I would rather over protect then say I wish I would have done more. She is wrong all the way, our laws here in the US say you can't do that. If we went over there and broke their laws we would end up in jail.

Liansmommie
by on Aug. 27, 2011 at 2:35 AM

Quoting Sandra312619:

That is crazy. There is no way on earth I would leave my baby outside. What if it was scared hungry, kidnapped. My dd is 6 and I still make her hold my hand as we walk anywhere in public. People are crazy and will take kids and do horrible things. I don't care if I seem over protective, I would rather over protect then say I wish I would have done more. She is wrong all the way, our laws here in the US say you can't do that. If we went over there and broke their laws we would end up in jail.

That's the way I look at it.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Aug. 27, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Yup - it is the norm there - but she was here....

I don't know - I have mixed feelings on it...

EireLass
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Well, she moved to the right community. She'll have it better if she goes to NorthHampton next door. 

Thelmama
by Thelma on Aug. 27, 2011 at 11:22 AM
2 moms liked this

While yes they do that in Sweden etc. It is NOT done in the US.  She should have and probably DID know that.  I do not get why they do it over there regardless.  It is insane to do anywhere.  It isn't just being over protective.  It is like being smart.  I mean people don't leave the keys in their car, doors unlocked, ignition running anywere, not even there. Why? because they know someone will take their car.  How much more valuable is a baby?  So, honestly, I do not get it.  I think she was in the wrong.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Aug. 27, 2011 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Great example!

Quoting Thelmama:

While yes they do that in Sweden etc. It is NOT done in the US.  She should have and probably DID know that.  I do not get why they do it over there regardless.  It is insane to do anywhere.  It isn't just being over protective.  It is like being smart.  I mean people don't leave the keys in their car, doors unlocked, ignition running anywere, not even there. Why? because they know someone will take their car.  How much more valuable is a baby?  So, honestly, I do not get it.  I think she was in the wrong.

EireLass
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Quoting Thelmama:

We do. We've made the choice of where we live. 

MommeeTo4
by Smart Mouth McGee on Aug. 27, 2011 at 1:42 PM
Yep

Quoting Liansmommie:

Quoting Sandra312619:

That's the way I look at it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)