Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Do you let your kids see you naked?

Posted by   + Show Post

I saw this in The Stir - Do you think it's normal for kids to see their parents nude?

Heidi Klum Lets Her Kids See Her Naked. So What?!

Posted by Christie Haskell
on August 27, 2011

heidi klumAccording to some, parental nudity will break kid's brains. Heidi Klum didn't get the message. She was spotted topless on a beach along. with her also-topless daughter Leni.

I don't see what the big deal is. When I was a kid, I saw my parents naked. Especially my mom (who reads this... sorry Mom!). We also went to pools where we'd be in the locker room and see women walking around totally naked, or men if we had to go into the locker room with my dad. And guess what? I'm not scarred for life. In fact, if anything, I think seeing lots of naked people did me good.

Especially seeing as it's just my sister and I, my mom didn't mind if we saw her naked. Because she found it so normal, we found it normal too. It also helps that as a nurse, she taught us how to compartmentalize the different uses of different things. Nudity in the shower? Totally different than nudity in front of a wind machine with oiled boobs. In fact, saying "oiled boobs" in a paragraph talking about my mom being naked weirds me out a little. But that's kind of my point. INTENTION.

The only thing my sister, as a toddler, got out of seeing a naked guy when my dad had to take her into the men's locker room was the perfect time to loudly announce, "Daddy, his thing is bigger than your thing!" Teehee!

When talking about her nudity in front of her child, Heidi Klum says of herself and husband Seal:

[My kids] see their parents naked all the time. We are not ashamed.

The writer of an article on MomFinds says she doesn't understand how you teach kids to keep private parts private if you don't keep them private, but says she walks around naked in her home. See, you teach children that there is a proper time, place and etiquette to nudity. There are social reasons you CAN be naked HERE but CAN'T be naked THERE. You teach why a swimsuit isn't proper attire for a nice restaurant but is appropriate for the beach. People also wear swimsuits that are more revealing than any clothing they would ever dare to wear -- different situations, different reasons, result in different things.

Kids CAN learn the difference -- that it's fine to run around their yard in nothing but shorts, but when they go to the grocery store, they are required to put on a shirt and shoes. They can learn that their penis can't come out in the grocery store, but is okay in a public bathroom. They can learn that breasts brought out for breastfeeding are different than those brought out for shock or sex. They can also learn that bodies are so private that they become uncomfortable ever using a locker room, a changing room in P.E. class, having an OB exam, or other situations. It's just as important to teach that there are places it's OKAY to be naked as it is to teach that there are places it's not. That said, it's important to always respect when a kiddo does ask for their own privacy as well, and your own comfort level DOES matter too.

And besides, Heidi Klum ain't exactly hard on the eyes.

Do you teach your kids that nudity can be normal in certain places, or is it something you work very hard to avoid?

by on Aug. 27, 2011 at 2:05 PM
Replies (11-20):
sherry132
by Sherry on Aug. 28, 2011 at 11:11 AM

My kids are teenagers so nudity doesn't happen. However, even when they were small, I did not let them see me unless I was clothed.

StaceyAmber
by on Aug. 28, 2011 at 2:24 PM

I try to keep my nudity away from my 4yr old ds. And my husband does too. That way we teach him that our bodies are private and not something to parade around in front of others.

TaeTaeLove
by Member on Aug. 28, 2011 at 2:43 PM
Ds stopped being allowed sometime between 4 and 5. Dd probably will never stopp seeing me nekkid. I still see my mom undressed occasionally. Ds and dd took their "baths" with me until I felt they were too old. (I brought them in the shower with me) they both still see dad nekkid, but dd will stop in another year or 2 (she's 20 mo.).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Aug. 28, 2011 at 2:57 PM

It's not a big deal in our house either.

crazymomof2374
by on Aug. 28, 2011 at 6:17 PM

No, I have two teenage sons in the house.

EireLass
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2011 at 7:47 PM
2 moms liked this
We were so relieved when our kids were born, we found out they had all the same body parts as us....whew....glad we didn't have to hide in shame.
spicy_n_sweet
by on Aug. 28, 2011 at 7:49 PM

I don't have an issue with being nude.  My 17 year old son does have an issue with me being nude though.  lol

HHx5
by Member on Aug. 28, 2011 at 7:52 PM

I have all boys so, no, I don't let them see me naked. They've seen their Dad naked. I laughed at their reaction to seeing their step-dad in swim trunks for the first time. My husband is a big guy with lots of chest and belly hair. All the boys were saying ugh, he has a big, hairy belly. I was thinking the opposite (like, yum)! He just laughed it off.

We only have 1 bathroom. It sucks. So bathroom interruptions are just part of life. My boys also share a room. Sometimes they just want their own space, so I reinforce that everyone is allowed privacy. But, I also sometimes tell them to get over it because they all have the same parts.  

LindaClement
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Nudity is normal in many places. Being naked is life. We just dress on top of it.

I never felt I had to 'teach' my kids that we didn't wear swimsuits to fine restaurants... we just didn't, and neither did anyone else. It was perfectly obvious... like sand being gritty and water being pleasant to play in.

HisGentleDove
by New Member on Aug. 28, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Okay all you moms out there.........................

Did you know in some states you can be jailed for child abuse if your child sees you naked?  Don't laugh its true.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN