Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you let your kids see you naked?

Posted by   + Show Post

I saw this in The Stir - Do you think it's normal for kids to see their parents nude?

Heidi Klum Lets Her Kids See Her Naked. So What?!

Posted by Christie Haskell
on August 27, 2011

heidi klumAccording to some, parental nudity will break kid's brains. Heidi Klum didn't get the message. She was spotted topless on a beach along. with her also-topless daughter Leni.

I don't see what the big deal is. When I was a kid, I saw my parents naked. Especially my mom (who reads this... sorry Mom!). We also went to pools where we'd be in the locker room and see women walking around totally naked, or men if we had to go into the locker room with my dad. And guess what? I'm not scarred for life. In fact, if anything, I think seeing lots of naked people did me good.

Especially seeing as it's just my sister and I, my mom didn't mind if we saw her naked. Because she found it so normal, we found it normal too. It also helps that as a nurse, she taught us how to compartmentalize the different uses of different things. Nudity in the shower? Totally different than nudity in front of a wind machine with oiled boobs. In fact, saying "oiled boobs" in a paragraph talking about my mom being naked weirds me out a little. But that's kind of my point. INTENTION.

The only thing my sister, as a toddler, got out of seeing a naked guy when my dad had to take her into the men's locker room was the perfect time to loudly announce, "Daddy, his thing is bigger than your thing!" Teehee!

When talking about her nudity in front of her child, Heidi Klum says of herself and husband Seal:

[My kids] see their parents naked all the time. We are not ashamed.

The writer of an article on MomFinds says she doesn't understand how you teach kids to keep private parts private if you don't keep them private, but says she walks around naked in her home. See, you teach children that there is a proper time, place and etiquette to nudity. There are social reasons you CAN be naked HERE but CAN'T be naked THERE. You teach why a swimsuit isn't proper attire for a nice restaurant but is appropriate for the beach. People also wear swimsuits that are more revealing than any clothing they would ever dare to wear -- different situations, different reasons, result in different things.

Kids CAN learn the difference -- that it's fine to run around their yard in nothing but shorts, but when they go to the grocery store, they are required to put on a shirt and shoes. They can learn that their penis can't come out in the grocery store, but is okay in a public bathroom. They can learn that breasts brought out for breastfeeding are different than those brought out for shock or sex. They can also learn that bodies are so private that they become uncomfortable ever using a locker room, a changing room in P.E. class, having an OB exam, or other situations. It's just as important to teach that there are places it's OKAY to be naked as it is to teach that there are places it's not. That said, it's important to always respect when a kiddo does ask for their own privacy as well, and your own comfort level DOES matter too.

And besides, Heidi Klum ain't exactly hard on the eyes.

Do you teach your kids that nudity can be normal in certain places, or is it something you work very hard to avoid?

by on Aug. 27, 2011 at 2:05 PM
Replies (41-50):
.CountryBumpkin
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:52 PM

no

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids still see me nude almost every day.  I have all boys 15, 14, 6 and 10mo's.  I figure when they have a problem with it, they will stop walking in my room as I am changing and stop walking into the bathroom.  Till then eh whatever.

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:56 PM

It has nothing to do with morals.  My kids have very high morals.  We don't need privacy as we don't view nudity in our home as a big deal.  My boys 15, 14, 6 & 10mo's still see me and their father naked almost daily.  Figure when they have a problem with it, they will stop walking in my bedroom when I am changing or in the bathroom when I am using it or showering. 

In public we are very modest and appropriate as are our children in our home we don't walk around nude but we don't hide it when we are changing or showering etc.

Quoting oDye3X:

Sorry ladies, I don't agree at all concerning this nudity thing. I saw my mom naked until I was about 6. Never saw my sister naked and never wanted to.   My sons didn't see me naked either. What happened to morals and privicy these days?

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Eh doesn't bother me that my 15 and 14yr old boys still see me.

Quoting WanziesMommie:

No I don't allow my 14yr old son to see me naked..

SweetMama823
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:58 PM
No my kids are 13, 9, 7, 4. We all need privacy. I don't want to scar my children lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cailliermommy
by New Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:04 PM

My approach on nudity is if have to feel comfortable in your own skin. Children learn self esteem from their parents at an early age. My children have seen me/DH naked. I was raised around nudity and nothing is wrong with me. I still have to shower with the door open to make sure no one is killing each other. No biggie

TexasMami409
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:25 PM
My daughter is 2. I dont purposefully walk around naked, but if she walks in on me in the bathroom, no biggie. My husband is just now starting to feel weird about it and tries not to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuLuThatsWho
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:47 PM

My kids see me naked all the time.  I try to keep myself covered up, but we are a family of 6 in a small-ish house.  It happens... often.  They seem to be doing just fine.  We have regular conversations about the right and wrong way to handle nudity and privacy.  You can teach your kids to be private, decent, and respectful without making them feel ashamed of their bodies.  They also don't have to be uncomfortable with the opposite sex and the anatomical differences between the sexes.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Ultra_
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I teach my kids to be ok with their bodies. I raise them like the blog writer was raised. I see no big deal in nudity when done in the right places and times.

Pooobaihr
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:14 PM

My kids see me naked every so often. No big deal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)