Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Do you let your kids see you naked?

Posted by   + Show Post

I saw this in The Stir - Do you think it's normal for kids to see their parents nude?

Heidi Klum Lets Her Kids See Her Naked. So What?!

Posted by Christie Haskell
on August 27, 2011

heidi klumAccording to some, parental nudity will break kid's brains. Heidi Klum didn't get the message. She was spotted topless on a beach along. with her also-topless daughter Leni.

I don't see what the big deal is. When I was a kid, I saw my parents naked. Especially my mom (who reads this... sorry Mom!). We also went to pools where we'd be in the locker room and see women walking around totally naked, or men if we had to go into the locker room with my dad. And guess what? I'm not scarred for life. In fact, if anything, I think seeing lots of naked people did me good.

Especially seeing as it's just my sister and I, my mom didn't mind if we saw her naked. Because she found it so normal, we found it normal too. It also helps that as a nurse, she taught us how to compartmentalize the different uses of different things. Nudity in the shower? Totally different than nudity in front of a wind machine with oiled boobs. In fact, saying "oiled boobs" in a paragraph talking about my mom being naked weirds me out a little. But that's kind of my point. INTENTION.

The only thing my sister, as a toddler, got out of seeing a naked guy when my dad had to take her into the men's locker room was the perfect time to loudly announce, "Daddy, his thing is bigger than your thing!" Teehee!

When talking about her nudity in front of her child, Heidi Klum says of herself and husband Seal:

[My kids] see their parents naked all the time. We are not ashamed.

The writer of an article on MomFinds says she doesn't understand how you teach kids to keep private parts private if you don't keep them private, but says she walks around naked in her home. See, you teach children that there is a proper time, place and etiquette to nudity. There are social reasons you CAN be naked HERE but CAN'T be naked THERE. You teach why a swimsuit isn't proper attire for a nice restaurant but is appropriate for the beach. People also wear swimsuits that are more revealing than any clothing they would ever dare to wear -- different situations, different reasons, result in different things.

Kids CAN learn the difference -- that it's fine to run around their yard in nothing but shorts, but when they go to the grocery store, they are required to put on a shirt and shoes. They can learn that their penis can't come out in the grocery store, but is okay in a public bathroom. They can learn that breasts brought out for breastfeeding are different than those brought out for shock or sex. They can also learn that bodies are so private that they become uncomfortable ever using a locker room, a changing room in P.E. class, having an OB exam, or other situations. It's just as important to teach that there are places it's OKAY to be naked as it is to teach that there are places it's not. That said, it's important to always respect when a kiddo does ask for their own privacy as well, and your own comfort level DOES matter too.

And besides, Heidi Klum ain't exactly hard on the eyes.

Do you teach your kids that nudity can be normal in certain places, or is it something you work very hard to avoid?

by on Aug. 27, 2011 at 2:05 PM
Replies (81-89):
J37
by Sunny on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Amy....I do let my kids see me naked.  I don't think there is anything wrong with that.  I don't want them growing up thinking there is anything wrong with or dirty about nudity.  I think it's healthy. 

Misha1204
by LadyLiberty on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:06 PM
It's just me & dd in the house...not an issue..she sees me naked all the time. If the household status changes, then that's different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Good Lord this post is old! My ds is now 8,lol.

Quoting paganbaby:

I agree with the article 100%

I'll contine beinh naked around the kids until they feel uncomfortable with it.

Even now me, my mom and sister still undress infront of each other. Hell my mom even undresses in front my kids (Changing bathing suits, going to the bathroom, ect) my 6yo son included

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Mariana_S
by New Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Why not????

nudistmommy
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:19 PM
I think nudism helps with the
Bonding experience. I am nude around my adopted daughter. We're equal. Helps her not to be ashamed of her body
natalie_vegas
by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Nudity is a natural and beautiful thing,
Nothing wrong with sharing your nudity with your family as long as everybody feels comfortable about it.
We are a nudist family and love it, very bonding way if life.
Heidi seems to be such a cool mom :)

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Aug. 25, 2014 at 11:06 AM

2011? this is old. Talk about rummaging in the attic...

I wonder if Heidi is still letting her kids see her naked..especially the older ones. I think her oldest is around 11...

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Aug. 25, 2014 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, nudity is very open in our house. I mean, we're not nudists and we dont walk around nude but if we're going to a clothing optional hot springs or hopping into the shower or whathaveyou we're not ashamed to be naked. 

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Aug. 25, 2014 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting Spilled-Ink:

It seems like whenever I'm in the bathroom - it's a spectator's sport.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN