Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What does "Godparent" mean to you?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 11:12 AM
  • 9 Replies

So I was listening to the radio this morning and they were having a really interesting discussion.  They were asking their listeners what the word godparent meant to them because as on of the radio personalities said, this term has become kind of secular in today's world.  Most people nowadays would say that it means the person who would take the children if something were to happen to the parents and that they're supposed to buy the kids gifts and be around for them.  Now, flash back to say 20-30 years ago and being a godparent meant being responsible for keeping the child in the teaching of God.  I know some people still go by this definition today but I definately see more people leaning towards the first definition.  Some people today only do it for their parents or others that may be pressuring them to do so.  I, myself, just got my baby baptized and I admit I did it for a whole bunch of reasons...1) I was baptized and wanted my daughter to be too. 2) My parents and my boyfriends parents definately wanted her baptized. 3)While I'm not overly religious (I believe in God but I don't believe so much in church) I do believe that I needed to have her baptized so God would watch over her.  So, just putting this out there to see what different people think.

Did you baptize your child?  Did you have Godparents for your child and what does that mean to you?

by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
EireLass
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Godparents don't automatically get the children if something should happen to the parent. That's a legal issue. Godparent is who is to insure the child is being raised in the faith in which is was baptised....regardless of the parents being alive or dead.

kristiansmommy1
by Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 11:25 AM
My son isnt baptized, the church actually refused to do it since we werent married in a church and i wasnt confirmed. i then called the main catholic church in boston and they told me to lie to the pastor of the church we had to get him baptized at (had to be your local church) since just getting him baptized was the most important thing so i kinda lost faith in the church. I do believe in god and my son talks to god all the time but i personally think being baptized or not as long as you believe in him and do the best you can in life you go to heaven. And he does have god parents just not technically and my god son isnt baptized either
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dino2012
by Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 11:59 AM
i've been to so many bapitsum, and I usually hear will you promise to help teacher in god, or something with god. and yes I am a god mother and I do have a paper that could give me the right to have him if something happens, but doesn't mean I will. I will baptize my baby girl once she born and have god parents. but I do want a god parent I know that will be worth it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jan. 27, 2012 at 4:07 PM
I was baptized but I never had a godparent. Same with my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sherry132
by Sherry on Jan. 27, 2012 at 10:07 PM

For my parents, it was the people who would raise me and make sure that I received the Catholic upbringing. (That lasted until I was 4 and mother decided she didn't want to be Catholic anymore.)

For me, it really means nothing. I had to have God parents to get my children baptized as infants (I am Catholic) so we used his two brothers, sister, and my sister. Cause if we die, well, it would be war in this family, and our siblings have all chosen different religions than we did. 

hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2012 at 7:42 AM
No my kids ain't baptized, no godparents. If the parents leave a will, god forbid, they die prematurely! But the godparent will find out what their role really means.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ammochik
by Member on Jan. 28, 2012 at 8:49 AM

For most of my friends Godparent means to bring the child up within the constraints and traditions in the Catholic church (we live in a very heavily populated catholic community). For us it is who would take care of our child after we were to pass away. We have drawn up legal paperwork giving her Godmother (and her husband) custody and her Godfather would be in charge of any money she would receive upon our deaths. We do not have family who could care for our little one if the need should arise so although I'm not Catholic and my husband turned away from Catholicism years before I met him, having godparents was very important for us. BTW we did not have our girl baptised Catholic.

wesnpatsmom2011
by Member on Jan. 28, 2012 at 8:49 AM

My denomanation does not babtize infants, we wait till the child is old enough to decide for themselves, although we do have dedication ceramony where we pray for Gods provision. We don't have Godparents. If something where to happen to us, we have a will that states are kids will go to my mother in law first, then my parents.

RvrDelta
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 1:45 PM

God parent to me means someone who would look after your kids if you were not able. They are substitutes in lieu of the real parents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)