Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Have you ever been fooled by a celebrity death hoax online?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM
  • 7 Replies

I saw this on The Stir - Has a celebrity death hoax ever fooled you?

Kim Kardashian Mourns Cher's 'Death' on Twitter (She Should Learn to Fact-Check)

Posted by Maressa Brown on January 27, 2012 

kim kardashian tweet cher death

No, Cher is not dead -- whew! -- but if you were on Twitter earlier this morning or last night, you might have suspected that the pop icon passed away, given that "RIP Cher" was trending on the social network. Thank goodness, it was just one of those ridiculous Internet death hoaxes striking again! Hilariously enough, a couple famous names actually bought the hoax hook, line, and sinker ...

Kim Kardashian and sis Khloe Kardashian were tweeting their shock, dismay, and eventual annoyance with the rumor. Seems that they were genuinely shaken up about the potential news. Awww, poor reality stars -- it's okay, Cher's gonna be just fine, and I'm sure she's going to take to Twitter any minute now to set the record straight.

What I find kinda ironic about the hoax is that usually, celebs involved in these web death hoaxes aren't really out there in the social media-sphere to set the record straight, but Cher is actually pretty active on Twitter! So you'd think the woman would have jumped in ASAP (even in the middle of the night, since she's been known to keep up very chatty convos with her followers at all hours of the day) to tweet, "Uh, hey, I'm here, I'm fine -- SNAP OUT OF IT!!! #I'mAlive" (Big Moonstruck fan here.)

But that's not how it went down ... and instead, Kim, Khloe, and who knows however many other fabulous fans of the legend had almost-meltdowns over her possible death. I don't blame 'em, but it does kind of make me snicker a bit that even famous folks -- often the target of false rumors and silly gossip themselves -- are still susceptible sometimes to these crazy hoaxes. Kim and Khloe shouldn't necessarily be embarrassed by their reactions, per se, but maybe next time they hear their favorite diva has died, they should attempt to track down a legit news report before tweeting their shock or lament.

Have you ever been fooled by a celebrity death hoax online?

by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jan. 27, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I once heard adam sandler died, I almost cried lol but it was a hoax

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jan. 27, 2012 at 4:12 PM
After his surgery, I heard that Bret Michaels had died. That one caught me up for a bit...I mean the guy did have a brain aneurysm and those are deadly most of the time, so...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newwifenmom
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 5:08 PM

no

darrensmom11
by Kristine on Jan. 27, 2012 at 5:22 PM
Nooooo! Not my adam!. I got fooled with the jon Bon jovi one two weeks ago.

Quoting hayliedlr:

I once heard adam sandler died, I almost cried lol but it was a hoax

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
begamom
by Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 5:30 PM
Not really
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
connietrrll
by Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I fell for one. It was Bon Jovi, just a few weeks ago. But, he is alive and well. I am not even a fan of his!

Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Jan. 28, 2012 at 10:33 AM

No, but I am usually the person to hear about the hoax, after everyone else knows that it is a hoax.  I am lame like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN