Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Wic now requiring a Rx for all Formula? piog

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you think Wic should require a Rx for all formula?

Options:

Yes. I think it's a great idea. If formula wasn't so easy to get maybe more women would give BFing a shot

No, I think it's a terrible idea. If women want to FF they shouldn't have to jump through hoops in order to get it.

I'm on the fence about it...

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 165

View Results

Formula is expensive and with all the talk of budget cuts, I wonder if Wic would start requiring a Rx the same way they do the specialty formula. You`d have to get a doctors note stating why you`re unable to breast feed, be it physical, emotional, or work reasons.

In addtion to saving money do you think it would encourage more women to breast feed?

by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 2:59 PM
Replies (171-174):
paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Jun. 6, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Then couldn't they simply go to the same places for the formula script?

Quoting katemckenzie:

A lot of empovershed women go to the health department/WIC office to get their children's shots because they can't afford to see a pediatritian. They shouldn't have to pay to go see one just to get a prescription for formula that they can't afford on their own.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

livysmom04
by New Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 8:05 AM
When my daughter was first born I tried to breast feed her. She wouldnt latch on and after struggling with her not tolerating any of my breast milk we put her on formula. It wasn't until after 2 months did we realize she had a protein intolerance and had to be prescribed very expensive formula ($50 a can). Wic covered the formula with no questions asked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Livinwith3boys
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I think parent's should be able to afford their kids when they have them, thus not relying on WIC to feed their children!!

katemckenzie
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Why would the WIC offices write prescriptions for their own formula? Only doctors can write prescriptions, and I don't know of any health dept. that keeps a doc on staff. It's all registered and certified nurses.

Quoting paganbaby:

Then couldn't they simply go to the same places for the formula script?

Quoting katemckenzie:

A lot of empovershed women go to the health department/WIC office to get their children's shots because they can't afford to see a pediatritian. They shouldn't have to pay to go see one just to get a prescription for formula that they can't afford on their own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN