Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

I never broke my dd from the bottle and I never weaned my son from the breast. Oh and I never potty trained my kids either

Posted by   + Show Post

I never understood breaking your kids from bottles, pacis, loveys, ect. That just seems cruel to me. They're a comfort object for a reason! Why take it away at some arbitrary age? If you think about it, when's the last time you saw a high schooler sucking on a bottle or paci?

I never bottle broke my dd. She gave up her bottle at almost 3 and went to a sippy cup with no issue. She's 12 and still uses one from time to time. (Her teeth are fine) My son breast fed until he was almost 6 then he told me he was finished. He didn't need boo boo anymore. No tears, no hurt. I let them decide when they were ready to move on.

As for potty training. I waited until they showed discomfort in pooping on themselves. When that happened I broke out the potty, let them run nakey and nature took it's course. No fighting, no tears, no frustration. My dd was 3, my son was 22 months and my Ldd was 18 months.

by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Replies (11-20):
mjsmom2010
by New Member on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Quoting paganbaby:

That's great :-)

How old is she now?

Quoting mjsmom2010:

I didnt  force dd to be weaned. She weaned herself from the bottle at 11 months. She threw her paci away and never cried for it and showed interest in potty. I wouldnt force her to do anything she wasnt ready to. She still wears diapers but still wants to sit on the potty. When she gets tired she gets up and i dont make her sit back down. 

she will be 19 months on the 28th.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Quoting mjsmom2010:

Quoting paganbaby:

How old is she now?

Quoting mjsmom2010:

I didnt  force dd to be weaned. She weaned herself from the bottle at 11 months. She threw her paci away and never cried for it and showed interest in potty. I wouldnt force her to do anything she wasnt ready to. She still wears diapers but still wants to sit on the potty. When she gets tired she gets up and i dont make her sit back down. 

Awww...that's a cute age. I loke how you let her lead when it comes to potty training :-)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

mjsmom2010
by New Member on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting mjsmom2010:

Quoting paganbaby:

How old is she now?

Quoting mjsmom2010:

Awww...that's a cute age. I loke how you let her lead when it comes to potty training :-)

i watched my aunt try to force my lil cousins to potty train and decided then that wasnt for me,

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:13 PM

No. By that age we mostly nurse at bedtime or if sick or hurt.

Quoting CBMMOM:

Did you breastfeed your 5 year old in public?

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Quoting mjsmom2010:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting mjsmom2010:

Quoting paganbaby:

How old is she now?

Quoting mjsmom2010:

i watched my aunt try to force my lil cousins to potty train and decided then that wasnt for me,

That's sad :-(

I'm glad you learned from it though.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Maybe...what kind you got?

Quoting avi_nevaeh_mama:

Do you want a cookie? lol

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:15 PM

*High Five*

Quoting LovingmyLeah:

i didnt either. but i think i got lucky. by the time DD was 2. she was bottle n paci weened along with potty trained. she will be 4 in 6mnths

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Oh God I nursed my ds throughout my whole pregnancy with dd. I...know...your...pain...

And hey, if he weaned okay then you're right. He was ready :-)

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

I'm glad that worked for you & your kids. We chose a bit of a different route though I do a lot of child led parenting. I weaned my son when he was 2. He was showing signs of being ready & i was pregnant & having issues with it (hurt like HELL i was a wimp lol) & he weaned very easily. no crying or fits. He was ready

angevil53
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:19 PM
3 moms liked this

what's wrong with letting a child learn to comfort themselves without sucking on something? i think it's just bc people don't want to hear their kids whine or cry...no instead just throw a bottle in their mouth or a paci bc that'll shut them up.

faeriemom1972
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:25 PM
My son doesn't have a set bedtime, has no TV limits, and can make his own food choices, he's never been hit. He rarely hears the word no and he's never thrown a temper tantrum. He's not a huge TV fan, preferring instead to play in the back yard and his go to snack is broccoli, cheese and crackers. At about 10pm every evening he brings me a book and says "it's time for bed". I wished I'd known it could be this simple when my daughter was little. My little Wizard will be 6 tomorrow!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN