Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Everything We Believe In" ... Yea Right (VENTING)

Posted by   + Show Post

WARNING, this is kinda a vent post, I really just wanted to vent about how much this irritated me and pissed me off

Okay, so I was driving along one evening and so happened to look over at our old church. This is one of the most stupid things I have ever seen and really pisses me off. Let me start off by explaining why we stopped attending this church... when you go through the door, you see these snobby snears from people because you aren't dressed in a fancy 3 piece suit and a $100 dress. Anything you think, is wrong. Anything you do, is wrong, don't look at people, don't shake hands, don't join in unison to pray. Seriously? So anyway, to summarize the story, They spent over "$100,000" on this cross to place outside of the church via donations. There are plenty of people in our community that need help, not only the people that attend the church. A TRUE christian would know to help their brothers and sisters. This cross goes against almost everything that they "believe in" regardless if they say that it "symbolizes everything we believe in". I seriously wanted to buy some spray paint and a 110 foot ladder and paint "Greed and Idol Worshipping is a sin!" across it. I'm glad to see that you are proud of your religion, but you're doing it in the most hypocritical way possible. Go ahead and start teaching your followers that greed and jealousy and judgement of your fellow peers is the way to live your life.

Quote:

Sunday, March 18, 2012

By ASHLEY JACKSON - Bulletin Staff Writer

Victory Baptist Church in Fieldale is building a cross that will stand nearly nine stories high.

The cross will be 110 feet tall and more than 60 feet wide. Naff Welding and Machine Works of Henry, owned by brothers David and Bobby Naff, is building the cross by welding and fabricating the steel. David Naff is a member of Victory Baptist Church. “There are none (crosses) in the state of Virginia that tall,” said Victory Baptist Church Pastor Dan Schelling. The cross is a symbol for “everything that our church believes in and stands for,” Schelling said, adding that the church sings mostly Southern gospel music that focuses on the cross and the resurrection. “It’s all about the cross,” he added. The cross will consist of heavy fabricated steel and will weigh about 35 tons, Naff said. At the footings are 300 tons of concrete, he added. In July, the footings were poured and the first piece of steel was placed in the ground, Naff said. The rest of the cross will be attached to that piece, he said. The initial piece of steel is 17 feet deep in the ground, Naff added. All of the pieces of fabricated steel are being put together at the church. Two large cranes will be needed to raise it, Naff said. The project will cost more than $100,000, Schelling said. It is all being paid for by donations from people inside and outside of the church, he said. The hope is to have the cross completed before Easter on April 8 so the sunrise service can be conducted under the cross, Naff said. People from surrounding areas will be welcome at the service, he said. The idea to build the cross came about four years ago when the church choir traveled to Tennessee to participate in a jubilee. On the way there, they saw a large cross in Bristol, Tenn., on Interstate 81 at a church also — ironically — named Victory Baptist Church, Naff said. After seeing the cross, Schelling called the Tennessee church. Officials there put him in touch with an architect near Richmond who built the cross in Tennessee, Naff said. The blueprints were purchased and construction began. The cross in Tennessee stands 75 feet high, but “we wanted to go bigger so people could see it from (U.S.) 220,” Naff said. Those driving down U.S. 220 can look at the cross and it will “remind them of what Christ Jesus did for us on Calvary” and hopefully “make us think about how we are living,” Naff said. “The congregation is very excited about the cross,” he added. A possible second phase of the project would be a military memorial around the base of the cross with American flags and a tribute marker for fallen soldiers, Schelling said. “A cross is a place to come and pray” and the memorial could serve as a place for loved ones of fallen soldiers to have a moment of silence, Naff said. - http://martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=32471&back=archives

How would YOU give back if you had $100,000?

by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:37 AM
Replies (11-20):
meradoll
by Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Thats the thing that pisses me off, there is a lot of things they could have done with that money. Which is why I am determined to think of "100 things they could have done with $100,000" and I might just send THAT in to the newspaper or something. I don't know. But I do know that they got really pissed at me when I took a picture of their cross that night too.

Quoting jeremy1:

That's stupid. I guess they couldn't find anyone to help with that 100.000 dollars

faeriemom1972
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Ugh, just when I thought I couldn't be even more horrified by so called Christians. People like that don't deserve to consider themselves followers of Christ.
meradoll
by Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Quoting MommeeTo4:

You should see the churches in my area, omg they have huge buildings and crosses. There is a Joyce Meyer ministries near me that has a huge huge cross.
It makes me sick that they spend that much on petty things and then whine when ppl ask for help and turn them away.

Churches should never turn anyone away :(

meradoll
by Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Quoting Thelmama:

Thankfully, I do not attend a church like that.  Some people have religion about Jesus and not a relationship WITH the Jesus they are trying to testify about. It is sad when they look holy on the outside and are not on the inside.  Jesus called people like that white sepulchers(tombs)...in other words all painted pretty and elaborate on the outside but full of dead bones. I pray that my life is never a prettied up tomb filled with dead bones, but that I touch others lives and I live what I say about the Lord.

Amen! You couldn't have said it any better!

meradoll
by Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:50 PM

This was one of the responses about another church in our area....so churches are resulting to bullying now too?

Quote:

• Winter  I was bullied at Hilcrest.. it was like highschool

meradoll
by Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Another quote from FB :

Quote:

Further more, you know that big building beside the actual church? I'm not too sure about this as I've heard it from my neighbors and stuff, but I heard it's a gym or backetball cort somehting like that and they wont let anyone else use it for certain activities and such. That's another huge waste of money, I think. Other people might believe otherwise but whatever we're all entitled to our opinions, heh.

I hate it as much as you guys do, even mroe so as when i leave the house to go into town i have see it twice if not four times. x-x However, it is the Chruch's property and money to do with as they please. I wish there was something more we could do but there isn't aside form illegal things which is ill-advised lul. Just what they chose to do with that money is sickening, selfish and vain. "Oh, that church has a big cross!!! Let's make a bigger one!!!!

mommy_2_be_2010
by Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a few build apartments for homeless families give to animal shelters help send a homeless child that actually wants to go to college to college..........help battered women
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meradoll
by Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:12 AM

An interesting response gives the conversation a twist?
Quote:

its not just the point that they could be using this money for other more deserving things. its about that their donations come from the members, so they paying for the cross because they feel obligated to do so by the church. That's why they donate. now that would mean that they would also "feel obligated" if they must, to always use ten times that money to do other things, some of which might be on the list we've created or close to. i would think that if they are true Christians then they would also spend honestly five times that amount on community things, helping homeless find jobs housing or just helping them in anyway possible, food drives, reaching out to youth to be their primary focus from teenage and up so these kids can get close to God in order to live a life serving God instead of drugs and criminal activity and such.etc.etc.etc. i hope they are using lots of other donations to do these things. if so then the cross is not such a idolizing thing as previously thought. sure they could've built one for 20000 on a smaller cross and the other 80000 on some of the fore-mentioned items. well that's my two cents. and this is all coming from a former addict and felon 7 years ago that has received all this help and has made me the best father in the world and drug free for a long time and following God now. thanks. Im out

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:09 PM
Quoting meradoll:

It truly sickened me to see that and I had to rant. Today we passed it again and we got into a discussion about 100 ways you could spend $100,000 to give back to the community. So far we have come up with

1. Donate to the school systems

2. Purchase toys for Christmas time to the hundreds of children that do not get to enjoy Christmas

3. Donate to food banks

4. Give 100 people $100 just to help them out

5. Buy clothes for children and families that need them, again 100 people could be helped with $100 thats at least 40-50 outfits or more from Goodwill.

6. Fill bookbags with school supplies for children. Can you imagine how many school buses they could fill up with $100,000 worth of school supplies?!

7. Sponser 100 community cook-outs and/or events

8. Build a few houses for the homeless

9. Build a play ground for the community children

10. Sponser a few local business to get them off of their feet

11. Buy turkey dinners for families for Thanksgiving

12. Pay for 100 couples to spend an evening out to eat on Valentine's Day

13. Pay for 2,000 people's gas ($50 per person) for a day

14. Create care packages full of necessities and send out to families (such as soap, toilet paper, shampoo, tissues etc.)

15. Support the troops! Donate and make care packages (from a friend on FB)

16. Give funding to the local WIC office to help new mothers more

17. Pay for counsling for people who need it!

18. There are people right now in
some states that have been hit by 69 tornadoes and counting. how about
donating to them. a lot have lost everything. (from a friend on FB)

19. Donate to Salvation Army or Goodwill

20. Donate for research for cancer patients (there's quite a few people that I have seen needing donations)

21.  Donate to the libraries for new computers and books and events

22. Fund Literacy Programs (from a friend on FB)

23. Fund for a soup kitchen (from a friend on FB)

24. Fund after school programs (from a friend on FB)

25. Fund a teen program to keep teens off of the streets (from a friend on FB)

26. Fund a drug abuse de-tox program (from a friend on FB)

27. Fund a mission trip to another country and provide food and water and necessities (from a friend on FB)

28. Funds for programs for the developmentally diasabled (from a friend on FB)

29. Autism research (from a friend on FB)

30. Heart disease research (from a friend on FB)

31. Programs and education to stop child abuse and domestic violence (from a friend on FB)

32. A battered womens shelter (from a friend on FB)

.... Can anyone else add on to the list? I'm sure I'll have more as time passes and I'll be more angry at this church -.-;

Fund community gardening plots.
Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Apr. 16, 2012 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Such a waste.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)