Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Sorry Kids, Sometimes You Just Don't Come First! Mom Needs Her Sanity, Too!

Posted by   + Show Post

It's a truth few moms want to admit: We take shortcuts. Sometimes, we just don't care! It's all about survival.

Do you do any of the things these "Survivor Moms" do to get through the day with your sanity intact? Or do you have any tricks of your own to share, whether they're time-savers or mantras for dealing with any lingering mommy guilt after you've used the TV as a babysitter or fed the kids PB&J for lunch the fourth day in a row?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Replies (111-120):
aprilrain4
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:47 PM

That is what I was wondering. Is the mom resting or in a hard sleep? Gerber 2 foods is for young babies and the baby could choke easily.

Shelley927
by Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

in our house we do the breakfast thing for dinner as well but when my boys were younger I included them in making meals and making a mess and also cleaning up the mess ....Now they are 15 and 17 and they know how to clean up and cook and have fun at both of these things.....We did creative things that were not so insane but fun and the boys got tired out so it was always early nights for them .....we also made a bath time for mommy and that meant they stayed within site but yet could play...I mounted mirrors and got a sitter once a month for about 2 or 3 hours even if I didnt go anywhere.

rainmommy
by Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:03 PM

my kids live off bread and ceral on my bad days and the house doesnt get cleaned

butterflykiss10
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Here, too! In fact, we prefer breakfast foods for dinner to having them in the morning - 6am just seems too early to have heavy things like sausage or pancakes.

Quoting Reina13:

Breakfast for dinner happens quite often in my home.

This former friend of mine just told her kids to dive into the snack drawer for meals, only put up the good mom front every other weekend for her daughter. You both sound like very loving mommies and that breakfast for other meals is a creative idea. Too bad I can't get DS to go with it. He does however suggest sweets for breakfast, lunch and dinner as a substitute since he has quite the sweet tooth. No going to happen in my house, the sweets instead of a healthy meal.

loridori4
by Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:22 PM
2 moms liked this
And sometimes kids don't come first because there are other responsibilities, like work, a sick husband, injured pet, dirty house, laundry, etc etc......
Sometimes I wanna just hurl listening to the politically correct "kids are number 1" mantra.
Then they wonder why they turn into self absorbed, heartless adults. Kids need to learn that the world does not revolve around them all the time.

But as far as short cuts go...when mine were little, they loved "toads in a hole" that's bread with a hole cut out and an egg in the middle, baked in the oven.
Pigs in a blanket: hot dogs or turkey dogs, or turkey smokies wrapped in a biscuit or croissant and baked.
Eggs in a basket: divide 1 can of corn beef hash into 3 mounds. Shape like a basket, crack an egg in the middle. Bake.
Easy tuna casserole: Mac n cheese mixed with a can of tuna and a can of drained peas.
Beanie weenies: pork and beans and cut up hot dogs, headed in a pot or nuked.
heavensdaughter
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:26 PM
Yep. The part I thought was funny is dressing them gets easier. No it gets more expensive, it gets thrown in the floor.... Plus itust be moms fault if they can't find it or it's not clean! My toddlers are much easier. I can dress them however I want and as long as you tell them how pretty they are when you are done and you let them wear their rain boots to the grocery store they are pleased as punch!

Quoting LancesMom:

I agree it sounds dreamy that it gets better in their teens! LOL! Somebody tell my kid that, would ya!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaBeezandMe
by CakeChic on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I use shortcuts all the time...tv as a baby sitter to get a shower or use the bathroom or turn on a good movie when I am not feeling good and need a nap.  If that don't work, I will pull out the ol iPad and computer for them to use while I get a snooze!  My kids can eat PB &J 7 days a week for all 3 meals if I allowed them lol!  I was even so sick one day that when they woke up in the morning and wanted their breakfast....I offered them the previous days baked goods!  Yes I'm guilty!

JTriches
by Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Moms have to come first!!

lalasha
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:49 PM
2 moms liked this
I've been through four deployments. I have zero mom guilt. I do what I have to do to stay sane and if that means cereal for dinner 3 night a week then do be it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dilateyourmind
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Your child needs to learn it is not ALL ABOUT THEM. That is how you raise a self entitled child. Do they come first. YES..is life all about them NO!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)