Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Sorry Kids, Sometimes You Just Don't Come First! Mom Needs Her Sanity, Too!

Posted by   + Show Post

It's a truth few moms want to admit: We take shortcuts. Sometimes, we just don't care! It's all about survival.

Do you do any of the things these "Survivor Moms" do to get through the day with your sanity intact? Or do you have any tricks of your own to share, whether they're time-savers or mantras for dealing with any lingering mommy guilt after you've used the TV as a babysitter or fed the kids PB&J for lunch the fourth day in a row?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Replies (121-130):
mandybimama
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:51 PM

as mommy to a 3 month old I have found that the tv is a lifesaver. I know, I know you shouldnt let them watch tv till theyre like 2 or whatever that "guideline" is but when it's just me and her at home and I need to get stuff done which requires both hands be free (or well I need a nap and she's wide awake) and she screams when left alone in a quiet room idgaf. I put her in the swing, turn on Nick Jr on and do what I need/want to do until she is ready to be fed and/or changed. I havent been feeling good lately either so shes been spending a lot more time in the swing then normal.

heavensdaughter
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:53 PM
My best trick is to turn some kids music on and have a spray bottle of aster and a basket of old wash cloths. I run around getting getting everything done in one huge morning frenzy. Then when they lay disn after lunch I can sit with my feet up for an hour with absolutely no one else to serve but me. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bamamommy2009
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

actually i dont get upset when the kids are watching Barnie, or Quigglie's village while i clean house, and i love to relax after the kids go to sleep i like to bubble bath or paint my toe nails, hell once a month i get to sit alone in my bed room and do a mani pedi and facial all by myself i love it!!

mabelfm
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 10:45 PM
So what is your method? We want to know

Quoting BeachMommy07:

I've never used TV as a babysitter..but I get the article.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marihla
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm STILL Laughing. I'll have to save this for when we plan our second baby.

Quoting gotnothinonme:

I was on a conference call with a client once and my two year old son was making me insane, and I was doing that silent arm flap menacing go somewhere and play for two seconds please face while trying to focus on my work call, when suddenly I just said "fine, here take my wallet and keys, but please don't loose my credit cards again!" - my client laughed til she cried. I've played FETCH with the kids from my desk. I've created a game where i yell out hints and they have to run through the house finding the things I'm "hinting" about (which half the time I have no idea what I'm hinting about to begin with), I've actually decided if the day was a success by whether or not they're all alive, eaten more than a starving child in some country I can't pronounce and are clean enough to still be vaguely recognizable- this isn't my usual standards, but when I'm operating at def-con 5 red alert levels, you have to measure life in the itty bitty successes, like not losing them and not setting anything on fire that day. They've rolled n mud and tracked it through the kitchen, they've colored each other head to toe in marker, they've ridden the dog past my desk- "while I say, if you dangle a treat he'll run faster!" I've committed almost every cardinal mommy sin known and I'm sure I'll make plenty more- darn gotta go, my little man is taking a bath in the dogs water bowl!!

JoEllyn1962
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Reina-

When my DD was about 9 yrs old, there was a day she had pizza for lunch, then we stopped for a snack and she had a slice of pizza, and then we ended up going to dinner and my hubby really wanted pizza. So, my DD had pizza 3x's in one day. And, yes, this was highly unusual for us to eat this much pizza in one day.

So, it's really ok if your son eats toast for a meal a few days in a row. At least, too, this is healthier than eating all the pizza my DD had.

-JoJo

Silver_Nova2082
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this

DS watches doc mcstuffins on disney junior channel hes 3

its my 25 mins to get my head on and think before we start our day

oh and eat in peace too

MichelleK-W
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Leftovers from the night before, for breakfast, warmed up in the microwave... makes it soo easy to have breakfast. 

enchantedmoon
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 3:37 AM
I do use TV and the computer, but I also make sure my DS gets outside a bit. My house used to bespotless, then I had a baby and it ISA mad house since then. But I do a small load of laundry every day and have him help me, I have a list of 30 go to recipes that are very easy ( I once was into gourmet cooking). Hotdogs and tuna sandwiches are in, lots of sandwiches and quesadillas, wraps. Oh and variations of the same. Like French toast but with veggies or stuffed with cheese and sausage. I use a crockpot and the oven a lot and
Store and use leftovers. Not only foes my DS not bathe daily, neither do I. And I try to fold outfits together, so just grab abundle and he is dressed. I gave up on neatness, if you cant beat them... I'm very I'll and often down, no support group to speak of, both my hubby and I are from abroad and have no family here.
My hubby helps, specially now that he works from home like I do, but sometimes is 2 kids and not just one! Well,what can I say, we make it work, we are happy and it is a loving home. My grand mother would disown me though. I have no idea how she managed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brewsuzannes
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 8:13 AM
Anytime is a good time for tasty hot breakfast foods!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN