Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Sorry Kids, Sometimes You Just Don't Come First! Mom Needs Her Sanity, Too!

Posted by   + Show Post

It's a truth few moms want to admit: We take shortcuts. Sometimes, we just don't care! It's all about survival.

Do you do any of the things these "Survivor Moms" do to get through the day with your sanity intact? Or do you have any tricks of your own to share, whether they're time-savers or mantras for dealing with any lingering mommy guilt after you've used the TV as a babysitter or fed the kids PB&J for lunch the fourth day in a row?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Replies (131-140):
Lorraine5820
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 8:35 AM
I think loridori4 got it right. If you cater to your child's every want and need immediately they are raised to think that it is all about them. Part of being a parent is to give your children the life skills that they need to make it on their own in the real world. In the real world life will not revolve around them. Catering to kids every whim has created the "failure to launch" issue; fully grown adults are dependent on parents well into their late twenties and thirties. So yes, children are a top priority, but no, they cannot always be #1 100% of the time (esp if you have more than one kid...it complicates things, in a good way). :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckychance13
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

When I was working I would go grocery shopping on the weekend and plan meals I could freeze then thaw the day I was going to cook them and they were cooked in one pan all at one time.That made things easier and faster.Less mes less work and everyone ate healthy.

Laundry was done nightly.Put it in washer before I go to bed and dry it in the morning while kids were sleeping.

House cleaning was a game.We played with dusters and wash rags and maid them a game so the kids thought they were helping.Mister duster needs his dust so he can feel better.He eats dust like you eat food.Can you feed him? The kids loved to be part of the chores by using everything in my power to ensure they were involved and happy.

Thanks and hope these help!

xomommy
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Frozen (well, you toast them LOL) whole grain waffles topped with yummy stuff is my hint.  When baby wakes up from his nap it's time to go get big brother, so I smush a banana all over the waffle (like it was PB), or melt cheddar or American cheese a bit on it, or spread some cream cheese, or a bit of peanut butter or Nutella on it. He likes dried fruit, so I'll top cream cheese or PB with thin slices of banana or raisins or dried cherries or dried apricots. Its very easy/quick and portable, so it can be held and eaten while he rides in the wagon on the way to the bus stop.  I've also pre-cooked whole grain bowtie pasta and cooked up a fistful of peas. Toss them together and put them in a zip lock. They don't care that it's chilled - it's like a salad. It keeps both of them quiet while they snack, and when the pediatrician saw it, he was happily amazed and passed my hints along to his wife!

zombimomma
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Love the video! My dd is perfectly happy eating PB&J every day for lunch, and Netflix ROCKS for kids shows. Plus, it's amazing how far a few blocks of polymer clay goes in occupying an 8 yr old. She makes tiny food items for her LPS pets and dolls with it.

gotnothinonme
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Quoting spanishblueyes:

OMG ditto!!!! We have an 18, 17 and 15 year old. All boys. I look at them and wonder where all the good stuff we taught them went. They want adult fun without the adult responsibilities. Were about at the point we want to shove them out of the nest and tell them they better start flapping them wings furiously. 

Quoting gotnothinonme:

Wait, there NOT supposed to eat pb & j for lunch?? uh oh.... I work from home, I do a LOT of things to get through the day that I'd never have believed before I had kids or would even recommend- AND I have teenagers as well, believe me ladies, don't rush it, you may find you're reminiscing about the days when the biggest problems you faced were the ones that come with LITTLE kids- as they get bigger, so do their problems and their ability to make choices that leave you cringing and looking wistfully at baby books, lol.

I completely totally understand! I don't think until you're THERE in that transition through those late teen years and into early adulthood, you really grasp how insane it can make you or how crazy YOU were at that age, and then you go, "omg, did I do this to my family???" suddenly I wish my grandma was alive so I could apologize profusely, because if I was anything like my oldest, I must have driven poor grandma crazy with worry!

momto3isme
by Dawn on Apr. 18, 2012 at 1:27 PM
My kids and dh will be eating pb&j sandwiches for dinner. I cooked out yesterday and none of the kids would sit down and eat dinner and dh is suddenly sick so I refuse to cook for them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anniethemommy
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM
K I have a bad heart and pending heart surgery, the tv is my BFF on days when I just need to rest...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaK313
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I don't believe in using the tv all the time as a baby-sitter, but I had strep throat twice within a month last year. If it hadn't been for Blue's Clues on Netflix I probably would have been in tears. Thank God for Steve!

mon78
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I agree with this people who say they don't need help from time to time are just lying.  We all need a break or we might just loose it.  Being a mom is the hardest job and I think being a stepmom is even harder.  Which I am a stepmom to two boys 9 and 7 for the past year and a half.  I really like this video.  Gonna keep watching to get advice.  Right now we have been struggling with the 7 year old talking back to us, trying to get his way.  It's a bad pattern he has picked up previous to me joining the picture.  I could use all the advice I can get.

BrookieCookie1
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 8:06 PM

This laptop has a hard tiem with videos-however, i see mention of breakfast fpr dinner, PB&J's, etc. Hell yes, I do these things. I don't know when we went all 'motherhood is equal to martyrdom", but it's a school of bullshit that i dont subscribe to. I like my husband and our marriage, and i like myself and enjoying life. I'm not wasting the best years being a neruotic freak about every little thing.

Of course they can eat junk food...After all, 'go outside and play" is  a favorite, too. That and stay the hell out of the formal living room.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN