Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

how do i get married by the justice of peace??

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM
  • 10 Replies

can anyone tell me how to go about getting married by the justice of peace and do i need an appointment to do it??

by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

You first have to go to your Town Hall and get your marriage license. They will give a copy to you. then you call the JP that you choose, and make an appointment with them, bring the paper, as they have a part to fill out. Then you return that paper to the Town Hall, and they send it to the state, and they will give you a marriage abstract, which is the certificate that says you're married. The paper that you need for any formal name changes, etc.

NanaDebbieL
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:27 AM

When my Daughter got married to her Army Hubby, I called Our City Hall and had to make an appointment, dont forget to get your license as well. Find out how long thats takes. Here its 3 days wait but because he is in the Army they waived the waiting period. The license was obtained at our county office. I had everything ready for them in a matter of 4 days. It all depends on your local or state requirments. Best wishes

Also dont for get if you change your last name, you need to go to social security to change it as well. and on your dirver license too

Debbie

danie24
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:16 AM
I just googled the few in my area, picked one, called and asked her if he would marry us on this date at this location.. she said sure, gave me a price (150 I think) and said see you then :)

I also told her what I wanted her to say at the ceremony. We wanted a quick, 10 minute, non religious ceremony.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Amy on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Here (in Colorado), you go and get your license and can be married by a JP the same day in one of the courtrooms.

lj08kg10
by New Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:41 PM

how much did it cost?

MommyOK
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Quoting lj08kg10:

how much did it cost?

each state is different ......you should just call our city hall and they should be able to answer all the questions.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Well here in Michigan you have to make an appointment and it has to be at least 2 days after making it.

MommeeTo4
by Smart Mouth McGee on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:01 PM
Same in Missouri

It only cost 50$ the price of the marriage certificate

Quoting amonkeymom:

Here (in Colorado), you go and get your license and can be married by a JP the same day in one of the courtrooms.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chocolat-smiles
by New Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:03 PM

bump bump bump

EireLass
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I just got my marriage license at Town Hall for $40. After the wedding, when the officiant fills out their part I bring that back to Town Hall and pay another amount for the certificate. I think it's like $10. If you get married by the Town Clerk, there is no charge. If you hire a Justice of the Peace, they will charge whatever they want, they do it as a business.

Quoting lj08kg10:

how much did it cost?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN