Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Celebrate Screen-Free Week for your family's health -- and for a fun prize!

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:37 PM
  • 89 Replies
4 moms liked this

Do your kids spend more time in front of screens -- TV, computers, iPads, etc. -- than you’d like them to? Here’s your chance to change that! April 30th through May 6th is Screen-Free Week!

Can you get YOUR kids to turn off the screens for one full week? Try it and you could win!

Starting April 30th, keep the screens off, and come back here every day to tell us what your kids are doing instead. There are lots of great activities to substitute for screen time, from puzzles, to library visits, to writing letters, to participating in a community clean-up, and much more.

5 moms who participate in the challenge all week will each win a CafeMom frisbee! The more times you update us on your kids’ screen-free activities, the better your chances of winning! Check in often to tell us how your family is handling the challenge!

Not sure if this challenge is for you? Check out some interesting statistics from CommericalFreeChildhood.org:

• Children ages 8 -18 spend average of 4 ½ hours per day watching television, 1 ½ hours using computers, and more than an hour playing video games.
  • Children with 2 or more hours of daily screen time are more likely to have increased psychological difficulties, including hyperactivity, emotional and conduct problems, as well as difficulties with peers.
  • Direct exposure to TV and overall household viewing are associated with increased early childhood aggression.

And good news:

• Television viewing at a young age is associated with later behavioral problems, but not if heavy viewing is discontinued before age 6.
  • Limiting exposure to television during the first 4 years of life may decrease children’s interest in it in later years.

Have fun and enjoy the quality time with your kiddos!

readingplaying tennis girlscrapbookingplaying soccer boywritinggirl on a swing

Official Rules

The "Screen-Free Week" Sweepstakes starts on April 27, 2012 at 12:37 pm (ET) and ends on May 6, 2012 at 11:59pm (ET) (the "Sweepstakes Period").

Enter by replying to this post with the screen-free things your kids are doing during the Sweepstakes Period. Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning.

Five (5) winners will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a CafeMom frisbee. The random drawing shall occur on or about May 8, 2012.

*No Purchase Necessary. Open to US residents 16 years and older. Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:52 PM

i can try

Rose87
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:36 PM

This is easy. If I remember to log back on to this particular message. LOL They do A LOT of stuff without watching TV. They earn TV time as a reward and get a maximum of 2 hours per week.

momof3inTN
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Hahaha! Not going to happen around here. A day? Maybe. A week, not a chance. I need the 30-60 minute break a day while my kids watch tv (at least I'm careful about what they're watching, I'll put it on the Universe or something equally as educational) so that I have some peace and quiet while I do something for myself. lol

Topping
by New Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

BUMP! I don't know if  they can last a week , but I would like to put them to the challenge.

Lewys
by New Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I would love to try this if I myself am feeling better but right now I'm going through morning sickness and have my 5 year old in the room with me, we play games that I can play while sitting but when I have to lay down I put on his cartoons, he is really into duck tales and rescue rangers right now we have them on dvd, we don't have any tv but our dvd's and vhs so I do know what they are watching,

on a normal week that would be quite easy for my family to do. as my oldest is on a basketball and base ball team right now and has practice 3 days a week and games 2 days a week, and then of course school we usually are not home any how but right now I'm spending a lot of time on the couch or in the bathroom LOL. but if I'm upto it myself we will so take the challenge.

itsmesteph11
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Nope. I see no reason to do so.

MamaBear2cubs
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM

FUN!

Schleetle
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:39 PM
3 moms liked this
DS2 is already grounded off all electronics. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wepping_Rose
by New Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I can try to do this one with my kids

crabbyD
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:40 PM
2 moms liked this
My 9yo is currently doing a week free of tv! He signed a contract at school this past Monday and must right a daily journal on his activities. I'm very proud at the fact that he's kept his word and is taking this no tv watching seriously!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)