Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Celebrate Screen-Free Week for your family's health -- and for a fun prize!

Posted by   + Show Post

Do your kids spend more time in front of screens -- TV, computers, iPads, etc. -- than you’d like them to? Here’s your chance to change that! April 30th through May 6th is Screen-Free Week!

Can you get YOUR kids to turn off the screens for one full week? Try it and you could win!

Starting April 30th, keep the screens off, and come back here every day to tell us what your kids are doing instead. There are lots of great activities to substitute for screen time, from puzzles, to library visits, to writing letters, to participating in a community clean-up, and much more.

5 moms who participate in the challenge all week will each win a CafeMom frisbee! The more times you update us on your kids’ screen-free activities, the better your chances of winning! Check in often to tell us how your family is handling the challenge!

Not sure if this challenge is for you? Check out some interesting statistics from CommericalFreeChildhood.org:

• Children ages 8 -18 spend average of 4 ½ hours per day watching television, 1 ½ hours using computers, and more than an hour playing video games.
  • Children with 2 or more hours of daily screen time are more likely to have increased psychological difficulties, including hyperactivity, emotional and conduct problems, as well as difficulties with peers.
  • Direct exposure to TV and overall household viewing are associated with increased early childhood aggression.

And good news:

• Television viewing at a young age is associated with later behavioral problems, but not if heavy viewing is discontinued before age 6.
  • Limiting exposure to television during the first 4 years of life may decrease children’s interest in it in later years.

Have fun and enjoy the quality time with your kiddos!

readingplaying tennis girlscrapbookingplaying soccer boywritinggirl on a swing

Official Rules

The "Screen-Free Week" Sweepstakes starts on April 27, 2012 at 12:37 pm (ET) and ends on May 6, 2012 at 11:59pm (ET) (the "Sweepstakes Period").

Enter by replying to this post with the screen-free things your kids are doing during the Sweepstakes Period. Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning.

Five (5) winners will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a CafeMom frisbee. The random drawing shall occur on or about May 8, 2012.

*No Purchase Necessary. Open to US residents 16 years and older. Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Replies (61-70):
CassSpade
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:45 PM

My kids don't watch tv, we took it out of our house a few years ago. So I will post what we do randomly throughout the day! :)

Today, we took my Son to the comic book store, so he has been in his room for the past hour or so reading his purchases. On our way home, we saw a yardsale and my daughter bought a stuffed animal with her own money. I believe she is playing restaurant with them right now. I hear her in there talking to "everyone". My husband is taking a Saturday afternoon nap, and I'm about to go read Water for Elephants.  

lynettemommie4
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Quoting Schleetle:

DS2 is already grounded off all electronics. Lol

all four of mine are grounded from electronics! The tv is blocked so they cant watch anything. they can only get on the computer when they have to do homework for school.

batjmom
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:49 PM

sign us up..

Mom2kyky
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM

HAHA...not likely since my 6 year old has her homework for kindergarten on "blackboard" on the computer. She only watches educational TV though

babytangled
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:33 PM

FUN

ElijahsMami222
by New Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I I

ElijahsMami222
by New Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:36 PM

My son Dont think its, a big deal he is still to young to understand.. lol <3

brandi--

LindaClement
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:21 PM

We did this ... several times (immediately following 9/11, for one) throughout our kids' childhoods. They've never been terribly interested in screens...

calusari
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:19 AM

No thanks...tv is the only thing that keeps me sane once my husband gets home from work. We have six kids, four of which I am with all the time, one of which is autistic. I cannot imagine trying to keep them occupied all the time...yikes.

mamakin616
by Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:09 PM

T.v. and computer are only allowed for learning in my house, the kids just don't know that . Animal Planet,National Geographic, and other learning channels on t.v . They are 5,9,and soon to be 10,so computer use is only for the school website with learning games. I try to make sure that what ever they watch they are learning some good from it.I know this won't last much longer. They also like to watch Wheel of Fortune ,it really helps the younger kids to learn the alphabet ,we also play it for game time and they love it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)