Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Don't call yourself a parent if you only have 1 child

Posted by   + Show Post

Have you heard this? What's your opinion?

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 6:40 PM
Replies (51-60):
lindilouwho82
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 1:31 PM

What would you call an individual with only one child? Not only is it absurd but it's insulting.

zeesmuse
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 1:37 PM
2 moms liked this

My brother - who has 2 sons - teases me - you're only PLAYING at parenthood if you only have one child.

I'm a single mother. My ex husband was and is a deadbeat. I could not afford another child so I made sure I didn't HAVE another child. I paid off my son's massive medical bills (heart problems) by working 2 and 3 jobs when he was younger. I then put myself through college in order to make a better life for the two of us. I did without help from the government, family or aid of any kind. I went without health insurance for a while. It was tough, but I did it.

My son is 24. He is hard working, has a sense of responsibility and is a compassionate, caring young man.

I AM a single parent and yes, I DO call myself - a parent!

justme91755
by New Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

The fact that you heard it in a comedy routine should tell you it is a joke. I think you really understand when you multiple children.  As a parent when you walk into the bedroom of your only child and it is a diaster area, you know who did it.  When you have multiple children they all say someone else did it or made them do it. I understand that statement exactly.   I had three kids in rapid succesion and then waited 10 1/2 yrs for the fourth.  My older children were moving out as he hit those years when they can all blame each other and was basically an only child in the home for 10 years.  I get what Mr. Cosby was saying

babytangled
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:27 PM

That is ridiculous

Renee47
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I have 1 I am a parent! WTF?

te_quiero_05
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 2:56 AM

sticking out tongue

faeriemom1972
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Insulting. My children are 15 years apart and I am an only child. She may have been nuts, but my mother was my parent, my only parent.
PPMom
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:02 AM
False...by definition!
buzymomwboyz
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:34 AM
WOW, REALLY? You said that out loud? And others heard you.... I am sorry for your misguided negativity and the need to send it to others
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mochamama1109
by New Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:51 PM

oh dear i clicked on this post all ready to go off lmfao im glad its just for opinions! imo thats just as dumb n ridiculous as saying that u cant have a bond with an adopted the way u would biological :( u still love, raise,nourish, take care of, and discipline them. the only difference is quantity. without a first child, u wouldnt have the PARENTING SKILLS to raise a second one as well. so, in other words, u learn to b a parent with ur first, therefore: being a parent :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN