Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Why does everyone seem to think that late 30's and 40's is too old to have a Baby ? Just Wondering ..

Posted by   + Show Post

What do you Think about this issue?

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Replies (41-50):
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Well I have 4 kids.  My first at 25, second at 26, 3rd at 34 and last, 1wk shy of 40.  Guess I don't think it is too old by any means. 

EvilQueenMommy
by Cathy on May. 2, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I think I heard in health class that it is riskier to have a child after 35 or something, like higher chance of cancer for the mom, down syndrome for the baby or something, like that. I never put too much thought into it really. I heard a 100 year old lady had a baby, so 30/40 is not too old. If you (in general) can still have a baby, and want to, go for it, no matter what age.

lapcounter
by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:54 AM
I think mid to late 30's is perfect that is when I had mine. We were financially secure, I had had my career and was ready to be a SAHM and we could afford it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Taras2Cents
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Well yes and no. It depends on what you want. I have 3 kids spread out over years. I have been a young mom to everything in between. Personally I would not want to do it later in life, true you are more educated about things and maybe more calm....big maybe. I had my kids at 21 yrs old, 28 and lastly 33. I have a different relationship with the oldest. We can share her clothes. Pretty sure I won't be doing that with my 3 yr old when she becomes a teen. I don't think energy level is the same. I don't play as much as I use to. Also I think there is a stigma attached to having kids to young and to old. You will never please everyone. Do what works for you. My husbands dad was 40 when he was born and he felt weird at times because his dad was a lot older than other parents. I am glad I am done with baby years though, and still have energy for my husband.

BobbieB
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:59 AM

One of the main reasons I've heard is that it increases the chances for birth defects, especially Downs Syndrome.

Personally, it's none of my business when someone else has a child. It's their decision to have one when they feel ready.

MidnightKat
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Thank you everyone for all the comments .     :)

RelaxedMom2-3
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:07 PM

It's not necessarily too old. Too old for me though. I am about to be 35  and my youngest is nine. I couldn't imagine starting over again.

Kenna1212
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this

i dont see anything wrong with it at all.....if the parents have the health energy why not=)

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
PurpleHazey
by Angie on May. 4, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Quoting LANIE2002:

Quoting PurpleHazey:

I don't know, I had my last one when I was 42 and to be honest I had more patience and I was more ready for her than I was for the other 5...I was happy about being pregnant...I loved it!

Wld u have that same mindset if that was ur first at 42?

PurpleHazey
by Angie on May. 4, 2012 at 7:32 PM

You are so right!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN