Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a major ouch going on in my mouth!

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:20 AM
  • 15 Replies

Many years ago, while on active duty Air Force, I was involved in an airplane accident that required major reconstructive surgery on my face, jaw, nose and cheekbones.  I don't look a horror because the work was done from inside my mouth.  Last October, I cracked a tooth while eating an M&M candy.  Ouch.  Yesterday, yes it takes that long to get an appointment at my local VA.  My dentist knows from xrays that below that tooth is a metal plate that is screwed into my jaw bone to hold the lower jaw in place.  He attempted to do a root canal and found out that the last screw is drilled into this tooth.  After I got my hands from around his neck, and with a thousand apologies, he and I agreed I need to see an oral surgeon to do the remainder of this root canal.  The joy of all joys is because of the flap last week with me calling my other VA doctor from a phone number I got from a piece of paper stuck to the missing secretaries chair, that doctor cancelled all my prescriptions, including the pain meds the dentist had waiting for me for after this much fun.

Needless to say I will be drinking my Ensure for a few weeks while this jaw heals again.  Then I have to get a crown put on that tooth.  That was my only remaining real tooth, all others are implanted crowns, my teeth got smashed out in the accident. 

Please say an extra prayer for me as I sip my Ensure and live on Tylenol!

surrender

by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on May. 1, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Mouth pain is the worse thing ever!  I hope that you get to feeling better soon and that they can get it fixed quickly.

Thelmama
by Thelma on May. 1, 2012 at 11:59 AM

ouch...hugs and prayers.

LML1
by Kristy on May. 1, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Sorry to hear..

crystalplus1
by New Member on May. 1, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Ouch i hope they can fix it up for you. I guess i need to stop whining about mt wisdom teeth....

MsBlueBelle
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:33 PM

The funny thing that I remember about getting my wisdom teeth removed was the dental tech got sick at the sight of blood and threw up all over me.  I was too drugged up to care, but once I came to, I was sick myself.  I guess this tech should have known blood would be part of oral surgery?

mamasheart2012
by Donna on May. 1, 2012 at 6:00 PM
I also have a cracked tooth the only thing holding it in is one corner stuck to my gum. So i can only chew on one side of my mouth really painfull. I cant go to the dentist no money and no insurance 2 get it pulled. Hoping it comes out soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by Representative on May. 1, 2012 at 6:24 PM
Oh no!!!!!!!! I hope you feel better soon!!!!!!!!
MsBlueBelle
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:05 PM

My cheek is all puffed out, I look like a lopsided chipmunk!  I cannot tell if the pain is in my jaw or in my inner ear.  If you look at the link below, the TMJ joint is what makes your lower jaw go up and down and side to side.  Not only was mine broken, but it has been replaced on three different surgeries.  Twice I had my mouth wired shut for eight weeks each, the last time they inserted the metal plates and did not require my mouth being wired shut.  And, for those of you who think it is easy to drop weight by just eating liquids, yes, you will drop pounds, I started at 115 lbs and ended up in ICU at 78 lbs.  I got so desperate for real tasting food, I stuck a pizza and a glass of milk in the blender and drank it.  Hot dogs and beans are also good with a glass of milk, even add mustard.

I have endured this pain before, but I always had a compassionate doctor who did not bitch at me for pain meds. My dentist is FINE with the medication, it is the mental health doctor who refuses to budge. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporomandibular_joint_disorder

annasew
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:24 PM

ouch sweety Im sorry you are in so much pain.     Hope you feel better soon. 

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on May. 1, 2012 at 9:49 PM

wow and that lil piece of candy was all that pain and trouble.  I hope you heal fast

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)