Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

I have a major ouch going on in my mouth!

Posted by   + Show Post

Many years ago, while on active duty Air Force, I was involved in an airplane accident that required major reconstructive surgery on my face, jaw, nose and cheekbones.  I don't look a horror because the work was done from inside my mouth.  Last October, I cracked a tooth while eating an M&M candy.  Ouch.  Yesterday, yes it takes that long to get an appointment at my local VA.  My dentist knows from xrays that below that tooth is a metal plate that is screwed into my jaw bone to hold the lower jaw in place.  He attempted to do a root canal and found out that the last screw is drilled into this tooth.  After I got my hands from around his neck, and with a thousand apologies, he and I agreed I need to see an oral surgeon to do the remainder of this root canal.  The joy of all joys is because of the flap last week with me calling my other VA doctor from a phone number I got from a piece of paper stuck to the missing secretaries chair, that doctor cancelled all my prescriptions, including the pain meds the dentist had waiting for me for after this much fun.

Needless to say I will be drinking my Ensure for a few weeks while this jaw heals again.  Then I have to get a crown put on that tooth.  That was my only remaining real tooth, all others are implanted crowns, my teeth got smashed out in the accident. 

Please say an extra prayer for me as I sip my Ensure and live on Tylenol!

surrender

by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Replies (11-15):
Crissy2424
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I didn't get my mouth reconstructed, but I know some of your pain! I had a root canal done 4 days again. I have been attempting to eat, but I have to wait 2 weeks for my crown. So I am not drinking Ensure yet, but I am thinking about it. I am also popping Ibyprophen like candy. It is soooo painful! Also, thank you for all your services to our country!

MsBlueBelle
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Hugs to all who understand a tooth ache.  You are quite welcome for my service to my country, I was the Phyllis Diller of airplanes, the dizzy blond who had the tail number 007!  Bond, Jeanne Bond!  lol

princessputter
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 10:06 PM

awwww feel better fast

MsBlueBelle
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:13 PM

I remember that very first surgery.  It was supposed to take about 8 hours.  After 26 hours, they had to quit, take a break, rest and then start it all over again in a few days.  Sadly, they did not inform my husband, where I was.  Classic military hospital style!  He found me four days later in ICU.  I remember waking up on Saint Patrick's day, and there was a Roman Catholic Priest giving me The Last Rites!  If I could have screamed, I would have. Thankfully the Priest was an old salt Irish Priest, with a thick brough, just like my Grandparents.  He whispered, "there now, little lass" and sung a lullaby.  As I looked around the room I saw any reflective surface was covered up with sheets and towels.  I had massive amounts of tubes going in and out, I was secured to the bed so I could not move my head or upper body.  I hurt all over.  I had sutures where the doctors made my big mouth one half inch bigger on each side, that hurt and is the only scar to see.  I faded back into a druggy sleep, with an Irish lullaby.  They had to sedate my poor husband, he freaked out.  Now, I was what you would call a real dog of girl.  When my husband proposed, I snapped him up quicker than you can spit, I did not want to be the old maid wallflower, I was butt ugly.  The doctor's joked that they made me Hollywood beautiful, perfect nose, perfect chin, cheekbones sculpted by the Nation's finest doctors.  It was then that my husband got nervous.  What if his new wife, who just happened to have a huge bank account and all the 'right people to know' for a strategic career move, what happens if she gets all pretty and leaves him?  He never let me out of his sight and if I did go anyplace, I had to take dd with me.  He figured no man would hit on a woman with a wedding ring and a baby?  No, they didn't, but that seed of doubt was planted in his mind.  Funny, I still 'see' me as the dog, the real barker of the city circus. I did not have a nose like Jimmy Durante or a smile like Phyllis Diller anymore.  What is a girl to do? Hmm, get in trouble.  lol

Quantumnerd
by New Member on May. 2, 2012 at 7:20 AM

Hi, and thanks for serving!!  I'll be saying a prayer for you that you make a speedy recovery.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)