Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How often do you buy clothing?  Do you buy something new to update something you already own?  Do you always buy new, or like me am a Goodwill addict?  If I have a dress, skirt or blouse that needs a go with piece, I bring my item to the Goodwill and find items that make two or three outfits.  If I buy an outfit at the Goodwill, I also shop the shoe, purse and jewelry area to get items that complete the outfit. 

I do a major purchase each January when I replace all my bras, panties, slips, etc.  I have to have a custom size bra made for the girls, so at $75 a pop, I make sure I take the very best care of them.  I have a pet peeve about panties that a worn out or saggy and I toss those, quick!  I prefer to wear dresses because I am not a tiny woman and when I am in a wheelchair, I need all the help I can get to look feminine. 

What are your clothing purchases like?  Just curious.  I was just folding a load of my clothing and I noticed that two shirts matched another skirt, yeah two new ways to wear what I already have.  I always wear mule style shoes with kitten heels.  I cannot have any shoe that has a back, it rubs on my ankle and drives me nuts. 

What about pj's?  I really like to have matching sets, robes and slippers.  I make several trips to the ER in the 'happy taxi', aka the ambulance and I want any cute paramedics or doctors to see me look nice, when everything else is falling apart. lol

by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:16 AM
Replies (11-20):
Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on May. 3, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I am an online shopper and I do it at least a few times a month.  I mainly shop from Old Navy, Gap, White House Black Market, Macy's and JC Penny. 

MsBlueBelle
by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:06 PM

I was born with out the shopping gene.  I HATE to shop, any kind of shopping, clothes, food, household items, pet products.  I don't like crowds and I never know what my body will be able to handle.  Also, I am a major budget nerd and plan my major shops by the calendar.  I buy Winter items in Summer and visa versa.  I way cheap, frugal.....

The Goodwill near my home is very reasonably priced.  Brand new dresses from Dress Barn, Target, Cato's Plus, etc, new with tags are never over $10!  I buy shoes and a handbag to match for another $6.  I am an older woman who was taught fashion in the 1960's, dress, handbag, shoes, hat AND gloves.  I wore a uniform for all 12 years of schooling, that played a major point in my joining the military.  It was a no brain-er when it came to what to wear to work.  Thankfully, I did know how to dress for special occasions and got a great career break when I was hired by Liz Claiborne, Inc.  Our dress code there was anything made by and sold by any company that Liz managed.  We got to buy clothing at cost plus $5 for a complete outfit, again, a dress or a suit, shoes, purse, hose, hats and gloves.  Don't forget jewelry.  We got the fashion plate books for upcoming seasons and in the dead of Winter we were shipping out Summer clothing.  It made it easier to have brand new fashions, ready and waiting for the seasons to change.  I still have quite a few of those outfits, they are well made and can be co-ordinated over and over.

I also live in Alabama, home to Vanity Fair, which is the World's largest bra manufacturer.  I also buy panties and slips from them, too.  Hanes has a major outlet nearby and I buy all my socks, hose and pj's from them.  Online, I shop at Roamans Clearance.  I stick to the basics and I re-fashion older pieces into new items by looking at a website by "Burda" a pattern company.  (like Simplicty or Vogue)  I shorten, lengthen, add new buttons, trim and make something old into something new. 

reddecker
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 7:59 PM

It is usually whenever the mood hits me..which isn't very often. If I buy new it is usually a good sale or a discount place like Gordmans-which is like Ross. I also like to shop at second hand stores. There are some ones nearby that take only brand name and up to date styles. I usually buy bras and undies twice a year.

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I always buy new.  We don't really have thrift stores here.  So for clothing I usually shop at Kohls and Aeropostile.   I am a shoe aholic too.  I love stilettos, covered toe shoes in the winter and flip flops w/shorts in the summer.  I also only ever buy pajama bottoms I don't wear robes or slippers. 

For my kids I shop at Aeropostile or p.s. aeropostile for the oldest two.  For my 3rd one usually Kohls or Children's Place and for the 4th who is only newborn I usually buy from Lots for tots which is a used clothing store. 

I only bra shop a few times a year and maybe underwear shop once a year and buy both of these things at Wal-mart.  I never pay more than $12 for a bra. 

JTriches
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:03 PM

you go gurl!!!

Cheryl455
by Cheryl on May. 5, 2012 at 2:52 AM

I buy my clothes when ever I need them.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on May. 5, 2012 at 8:21 PM

We usually shop at Value Village, but have more recently found Ross, Burlington Coat Factory, TJ Maxx and Marshalls.  Awesome stores!

the4mutts
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 12:46 AM
I only wear "period panties" so I go to walmart once a year, buy 2 packs and call it good. 3 weeks a month I go commando lol
I need to find a place by me for good bras, as my size has changed and VS is crap.
Clothing I buy as I need only.
Usually good stuff though, so it lasts and I don't have to shop often
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyJDTJ
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:51 AM

I get something new when my old stuff has too many holes to continue to wear. Currently I still have underwear from when I was 17. I don't have matching sets of anything, underthings or pajamas. Most of the time I am a giant frump (which I hate!).

CafeMom Tickers  

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Mazi184
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I buy new things just about every month. I don't go on shopping sprees, just a few pieces here and there. I love Gap, Express, American Eagle, J Crew. There are also some local stores in town that I love.  My addiction is purses, I will def splurge on purses because I know they will use them forever and they will last.  I love leopard print too.. as for pjs, pshh I'll just wear and old shirt of the hubs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)