Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm Back! And an update to what I've been going through, Long. :)

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:09 AM
  • 8 Replies

Well, as many of you know, in January I dropped off the face of CM. My family and I have been through so much lately! 

As many of you know, my mom has been very sick. She's gotten to where she needed constant care. She needed help getting to the bathroom and dressed and just about everything. Around the beginning of Feb we rushed her to the hospital. We thought she was having a stroke, but she wasn't. Her medications caused a massive side effect. She was taking something called Risperidone for restless legs. The R meds affect a chemical called dopamine. This chemical is extremely important to our body, in schizophrenics or people with other mental disorders, this drug is used to control those symptoms, in those with restless legs, it's meant to calm the restless legs, but it's a nasty mean drug if it wants to be.

It caused my mom to shake really bad in her legs and arms, but it gave no signals to her face. She literally looked like a zombie. Her body was moving without commands and her face wasn't moving at all. She wasn't even blinking, making saliva, or tears. Her symptoms prompted us to believe she was having a stroke, one side of her face drooped more than the other, her right leg couldn't be still or support her weight, her left arm didn't swing when she was walking, and she began to get a lot of muscle atrophy in various muscles, for no apparent reason. 

The first round of test came back with nothing. They tested her thyroid, for stroke, heart attack, Alzheimer's, and a lot more. Everything came back normal. Sometimes it came back exceptionally good, which left her doctors confused. They sent her home from the hospital in late February, but it didn't last long. She suddenly became extremely nauseous and could not keep anything down, not even water. So back we go, this time to ICU. They tested her for things like lyme disease, the flu, and more this time. Still nothing. The shaking and uncontrolled body movements got a lot worse, so finally a neurologist was called in. After another 18 days in the hospital she was again released to come home. The neurologist took her off most of her medications and wanted to see her reaction. At first things looked a lot better, then all hell with her broke loose. 

We usually couldn't get her up for more than four sporadic hours a day. She was sleeping to escape her body. I took over everything in the house while working 50 hours a week and trying to keep up in school. Well, the neurologist was now doing all these test. He suspected somethings and did test to look at them. Still, we received normal results, and at times he was more frustrated than we were.

Without the antipsychotic drugs, she couldn't even breathe right. She couldn't cry because the drugs had taken all her emotions away. She didn't laugh, or get angry, or anything. She just sat in a chair or stayed in bed, and that was all we got from her. For days she refused to get dressed, comb her hair, change her clothes, etc. That is not my mother. I was fighting her to take care of her basic hygiene needs and trying every "healthy" recipe I could find to cook for her. No seasoning, no salt, fresh vegetables, freshly cut meats, no boxed foods, I even made noodles from scratch! Nothing was staying down WHEN I could even get her to try to eat. 

Finally dad told me to quit my job because I was falling completely apart. Sometimes from my phone I could get on CM but making posts or getting to a specific group was out of the question. Oh how I've missed you all. 

So, I got fed up and started doing research. I went to her regular doctor and told her that I needed a new neurologist, (and I told her this time not to look at the ones from Cracker Jacks academy). She sends us to Longview Texas to a doctor named Dr. Hamer. OMG we were saved! He spent 40 minutes with mom, that's it 40 damn minutes and had her diagnosed and on a treatment that is WORKING!

Finally! He told us the drugs had wiped out her dopamine, and with the sudden removal of the drugs her brain didn't know what to do with her body so it began sending wild signals out her limbs and trunk, heart and lungs, but didn't send any signals at all to her feet, hands, and face. 

She has peripheral neuropathy. She is now on a treatment plan and physical therapy regime to regain control of her body. She's been on the dopamine drug for a week and she is smiling, laughing, blinking, and participating in conversation again. Not perfect but so so far from where we were. She has more control of her limbs again but still has a way to go. She can fell her feet and hands, but theres a long long way to go on the muscle atrophy that occurred there.

So anyway, I am back now, I hope there aren't any more set backs. I've missed this group and all of you. Sorry I've been gone so long without word. :) 

by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by Jennifer on May. 9, 2012 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Hugs!  I am so glad to hear that she is on the path to healing!  I can't imagine how horrible it must be to witness someone you love going through all of that.  Welcome back, Sherry!

by Kristy on May. 9, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Welcome back. I hope your mom continues to get better.

by Thelma on May. 9, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Wow, how scary.  Uh, my Mama is on that medication!  SCARY.  *runs to phone* How scary.  What a time you have had.  Glad you are back and pray she contiues to improve.

by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 11:34 AM


glad your mom is feeling better. 

sorry you and your mom had to go through that crap but at least you finally found a doctor who took care of you guys the right way. it was all worth it at the end. 


by JoAnna on May. 9, 2012 at 1:06 PM
welcome back. Glad she is getting better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Cheryl on May. 9, 2012 at 2:39 PM

So glad you found the right Doctor. Glad your back. But family comes first.

by on May. 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Welcome back!  I am glad your Mom is doing better.  My DH spent most of last Summer and Fall very, very sick, and it is a trying time while you are doing your best to figure things out.  I will keep you all in my prayers...Hugs!!


by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Whew!  I'm glad you're back and happy to hear your mom is feeling better. *hugs*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN