Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

That Awkward Moment When Your 5-Year-Old Barges In While You're Changing a Tampon...

Posted by   + Show Post

One minute, you're feeding a baby at your breast;  the next, you have a preschooler pointing at your bare chest and giggling while you're getting dressed in the morning. Or your kid barges into the bathroom when you're changing a tampon. OR WORSE: You get caught in the act while you're having sex!

Moments like these are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to explaining the more private aspects of our bodies to little ones. Not sure how to broach the subject with your kids? Kristen talks to a family therapist for tips on having the conversation without shame or embarrassment.

How have you talked to your children about sexuality? Or if you haven't  yet, how do you plan to - and when?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:37 PM
Replies (41-50):
3Boyz2Luv
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Certain things can't be planned...you just deal with them as they happen. My twin boys were eleven (fourteen now) when one night we were watching tv and they conversationally asked me, "Mom, what's a period on a girl?" They told me they overheard some boys laughing about it at school but they didn't get the joke. I had a straightforward talk with them about it and used medical sources and the Bible to explain. Because of that night, they come to me first with questions and they aren't silly or immature about the facts of life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GaleJ
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:05 PM

We always tried to be very matter-of-fact with any/all of this kind of situation. Familial living provides these moments and I always accepted them as teachable moments. We never "hid" anything but did explain the idea of privacy in the case of sexual activity saying there are things people do that are best kept private, just as we dealt with masturbation being private. As to the other bodily functions we simply dealt with them as normal bodily function and not a big deal and it always worked well for us.

mellie25
by New Member on May. 16, 2012 at 11:13 PM
My daughter kept saying, "mom you pooped in your pants." Out loud while in a public restroom while I was changing a liner. Normally I wouldnt have them in there, but I had no assistance that day. I couldnt leave them alone at age 3 in the store.
sissy502
by Member on May. 16, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Quoting karamille:

My 5 year old barged in on me while I changing my panty liner.  He said, "mommy - why is ok for you to have accidents your pants and not me?"

roflmbo.... that's funny!

grnsmomma
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Quoting C8linVilla:r yesterday my almost 4 year old was with me shopping. we were at the cashier and it happened to be a friend of mine. Olivia looks at her and goes while pointing *mommy is that a boy or a girl* she has a really short mans hair cut.

We have preschool clients do that all the time at work.  This one 4 year old just wouldn't leave it alone, her grandma was so embarassed but she told this woman with short hair (who in all fairness is masculine looking) that she was a man, over and over.

Why don't you guys just lock the doors?  I'd never allow myself to get caught twice!  DS is almost 3 and has never walked in on us, and when it's that time of the month I lock the bathroom door (I shut it anyway and he rarely comes in but just in case).  He does like to pull my shirt down and poke my boobs though, ugh, boys :)

milmil06
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Thank god our son who was two at the time most likely won't remember but he asked if daddy was hitting me I said no he said daddy were u hitting mommy? My husband said no and we were just trying not to laugh then he tried to crawl in bed with us we told him go bk to bed and we'd be in in a second to tuck him bk in we were wrestling and had to get up lol omg obviously my husband must have smacked my ass bahahaha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VanillaSprinkle
by New Member on May. 16, 2012 at 11:47 PM

LoL family life :p

MommyJDTJ
by on May. 17, 2012 at 12:49 AM
My 4 year old barged in on me in the bathroom to ask for a snack as he always does one time and asked me about my panty liner, he said why do you have a bandaid in your underpants?

Another time me and DH had a n early morning session and he was in the livingroom and could hear us (we thought he was still sleeping) and after he asked what we were watching on TV. I told him it was the radio, he wanted to know every detail of the radio station and exactly what they said and why.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gwendlite
by on May. 17, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Quoting momto3infl:

When they asked questions when younger about different body parts or why I did certain things (changing a pad/tampon) or even when I was pregnant with their sibilings.  I wasnt going to act all Taboo like my mom did I just honestly answered their questions and kept answering them as they got older.

Same here. I've never had the issue of them walking in during naughty hours (lol), but changing a tampon? That's life, she has to know it's normal and I don't want her to think she is dying when she starts bleeding as a pre-teen....

KCayea
by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:59 AM

i have girls. they know mommy bleeds and that they will when they are older. they have always known this. they know about boobies, My oldest is almost 9 now so i'd had more detailed talks about periods and body changes . she is starting to grow boobs :( makes me sad but she is prepaired. I've got DD looks like she will be taking after her mama lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)