Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

what do you think? Bus driver left my 2nd grader at the stop

Posted by on May. 22, 2012 at 8:39 AM
  • 17 Replies

My daughter is on the bus for AN HOUR in the afternoon. My X was supposed to PICK HER UP FROM SCHOOL and didn't so they put her on the bus back to my house but I didn't show up at the bus stop to pick her up because as far as I knew, my X was picking her up from school. So The doorbell rings and its my daghter out of breath and very upset. The school she goes to services children from a wide area so the drop off areas are sometimes up to 10 blocks (we live in a city) from home. So I call the school to see about the drop off and they say that as long as the child says they know how to get home they are allowed to be dropped off alone. 2 things though. 1: we live in a MAJOR CITY... 2: we have to cross 3 busy streets to get to the bus stop. So even though they have that rule, I still believe my 2nd grader is incapable of safely walking herself home. Not to say I would ever miss the bus again, but accidents happen and I would much rather they take her back to the school and me get into some sort of trouble for not being there, than to have her left at the bus stop without an adult. What do you think? Shes in second grade and the ONLY child that gets off at her stop. He didn't even wait for her to cross the street (with his blinkie lights and stop sign out) before he pulled away.

by on May. 22, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy2b39465
by on May. 22, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I think the bus driver was in the wrong by pulling away too quickly, and maybe not finding out more of the situation before leaving her. 

She got home safely, didn't she? Maybe you give her too little credit. Apparently she's NOT incapable of doing it. Maybe she's a little more mature than you think? Of course I agree that I wouldn't want her to because it must be incredibly unsafe, I don't live in a big city like that but I would guess that there are kidnappers, etc, that might decide that a 2nd grade girl needs to go with them even if she screams and hollers.

Maemae2012
by on May. 22, 2012 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

OMG!! I would of been so upset! I mean do we not have an amber alert for no reason. The way this world is today I can't believe they did that. I'm just glad that she made it home safely.

MomofBoys838
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I used to work in the office at an elementary school, and, in our school, if the child was supposed to have been picked up one way and that didn't happen, either the teacher or one of the office staff should have called you and let you know, so you could meet her at the bus stop.  For all the driver knew, there was no change in dismissal, and since the child was on the bus, he did what he always does.  He should have, however, waited with the lights and sign on while she crossed the street safely.

ladybugMarie

Kris_PBG
by Representative on May. 22, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Sadly, if the policy is to leave them, I don't think the driver is at fault.
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on May. 22, 2012 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree.  I'm sorry you are so upset, but if anything I think that this should be brought to the superintendent. 

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Sadly, if the policy is to leave them, I don't think the driver is at fault.

happinessforyou
by Member on May. 22, 2012 at 1:19 PM
2 moms liked this

WHERE WAS YOUR EX?????

HE should have picked her up. I really think that he was the problem here, not the bus driver.

Just MO

babiegurl47
by on May. 22, 2012 at 1:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Its not the bus drivers job to "babysit" a kid who takes the bus. I really wouldnt blame him. Id be PISSED at my ex though!

Kris_PBG
by Representative on May. 22, 2012 at 5:41 PM
The good news here is you now know that developing a plan for how she should handle things if someone is not at her bus stop again is needed. Teaching her your expectations, what you want her to do, etc... Can now be developed.

It sounds like if you teach her, if this ever happens again, to tell the bus driver she does not know how to get home safely, they may bring her back to the bus compound where an adult can be contacted. You may also be able to come up with additional contingency plans as well.
xx_jeanie_xx
by on May. 22, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Maybe next time you should have you ex- husband pick your child up at your house that way you know she is safe.  The bus driver and the school is not a babysitter or a taxi service

Renee47
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2012 at 1:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I think you should chew someone a new asshole!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN