Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

And You Thought the Sex Talk Was Hard Enough - Have You Had the "Tech Talk" with Your Kids?

Posted by on May. 22, 2012 at 4:22 PM
  • 23 Replies

Technology is all around us - including in the hands of little kids. Even if your 7-year-old doesn't have a smartphone, that doesn't mean he won't be able to access anything and everything on the Internet courtesy of his friend's phone.

Do you know how to help your kids become sensible consumers of technology in the digital age? This episode has tips for children and parents alike. Check it out!

Do you (or would you) let your child have his or her own smartphone, and if so, at what age? Do you worry about the kind of example you set your child with your own "tech behavior"?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on May. 22, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dollysvlog
by on May. 22, 2012 at 6:15 PM

my cousin was going to give my 2nd cousin (thier kid) a cell phone when she was 3 going on 4!!! that is redicuolous! my thing is anything that has a monthly payment (car, cell phone) that is for mostly there personal use. if they wont it bad enough they have to get a job to do it. 

I had to get a job right at 16 because I wanted to go out with friends, have a cell phone. buy cds... if I wanted something I had to work for it. and I am going to teach my child(ren) the same thing...

I wont be buying my kids their own computer, or cell phone. if they want it bad enough they can wait until they can get a job.

I might buy them a mp3 player, my bf would probably buy his a game system or let him use his... but mostly he has to work for what he wants

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on May. 22, 2012 at 8:39 PM
I agree with the pp
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by Member on May. 22, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I plan on getting DS a phone once he is in school and participating in after school activities.  I hope to get him one where I can set it so he can only call certain people.  Once he starts driving he will get a better phone, but he won't be getting a smart phone or a texting or data plan until he can pay for it himself.  

I do want to get a tablet for myself that he will be able to use in the car.  He is only 11 months, but I hope to get it by the time he turns 2.  We go on lots of long car rides and it would be good for him to have some games to play and movies to watch in the car.  

MommeeTo4
by Smart Mouth McGee on May. 22, 2012 at 9:14 PM
If they have a phone it will not be a smart phone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2012 at 1:04 AM

No, not yet

Kris_PBG
by Representative on May. 23, 2012 at 6:35 AM
I can't say with certainty when we will be at this point, but I just know it won't be anytime soon!

cjsix
by Member on May. 23, 2012 at 6:42 AM

My older teen has a phone,it's basic and all she can do is make phone calls and text...no photos,internet etc...I am the only other one in our home with a cell phone and it happens to be the smae one at this time...no smart phones here not interested.

bootifuldisastr
by on May. 23, 2012 at 11:30 AM
2 moms liked this
My daughter is 14 and she has a smart phone. She is on my mom's plan and she has to clean her house twice a month for the phone. We have Watchdog on the phone where I can see all incoming and outcoming activity: texts, internet, pics, calls. It is a headache!!! Now dd argues and says that she works for the phone so she should be able to do what she wants with it but I don't agree because these kids think it is "ok" to talk to people they don't know just because one of their friends say they know them when they are actually meeting them online themselves! I can't stand all this technology.
JMCorbin84
by Member on May. 23, 2012 at 12:05 PM

My DD is only 2 but I know a 4 yr old who has an iPhone and DH & I  both think it's rediculous. This child has unlimited access to anything online thru the cell and her mom is constantly finding her watching South Park & Family Guy episodes...I'm sorry but you're paying for ur 4 yr old to watch perverted cartoons and then get mad at her for doing it??? My DD will not be getting a cell until she's at least in middle school & only if she has after school activites where she needs to call us for a car ride home. Even still the numbers will be restricted & there will be NO texting or internet until she can pay for it herself.

Kenmommy531
by on May. 23, 2012 at 1:29 PM
In my opinion.no it not okay for child at whatever age 6,78 ect. Or eve young teen. As a parent I would want my son to stay in place of child.i dont want him grow to fast.mean ,a lot parent they buy there kids cell,ipod,ipad,lap top.just because a lot kids now in day they friends or sociaty is so much development.that they want to have this this thing.but has a parent you have deciple your child show them structure of value.a lot times parent go out there way do this for kids.when a parent see that child have some resposible and you can trust them .they going to doing something out of order.in ways in how we live this days we are expose to everything and anything.this why a lot kids disrespect there parent or they dont have respect for anyone.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)