Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

My Home Was Called Filthy And Disgusting (pic heavy)

Posted by on May. 26, 2012 at 12:10 AM
  • 270 Replies

On another group there was a post about having an ugly home and I made the mistake of posting a few photos of my home and explained why my home is such a wreck.  A couple of people commented that my home was "filthy and disgusting"..to which I felt personally slammed against a wall.  I explained the fact that my home is tiny and one of my daughters has used our home to store her things when she moves and this makes my home overfull.  I responded that it may be overfull but not filthy as I clean daily.  Am I too sensitive?  Should I have just ignored the rude comments?  My husband lost his job 3 years ago and I became disabled in 2007..my retirement money went to pay off our house...husband's went in the bank for our living expenses..we receive no assistance and have to be frugal with how we spend what little money get...so remodelling we had planned to do on our home can't be done until my husband finds a job.

Here's my "filthy and disgusting" home..inside and out.

bathroom..yes we only have one

another view of bathroom..you can see shower reflected in the mirror over the sink

bedroom..I had moved things out to shampoo the carpet

my office

livingroom

another view of livingroom..shows grandson and my worn out hard wood floor which was mopped before the kids came to visit that day eventhough it may look "filthy" to some people

kitchen

front of my house

steps leading from driveway to the deck

my herbs growing in pots on the deck

side of house..screen hides seating for privacy from traffic driving by

side yard cleared to make ready for studio to be built...still have to wait..funds had to be used to fix our roof..with both of us not working this will have to probably wait for a long time to become the studio I have dreamed of.

So there is my nasty home...I would love to live in a shiny new large one..but reality says "only in my dreams"......

by on May. 26, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Meg2011425
by Member on May. 26, 2012 at 12:52 AM
8 moms liked this
I don't see anything wrong with it. My apartment is smaller and messy. I have a 3 year old son. That's hurtful. Sorry there is some mean people around.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink.Frosting
by on May. 26, 2012 at 12:59 AM
9 moms liked this
Looks good to me OP. I don't see any problems with what your pics show. I'd sit at your kitchen table without giving it a second thought. Our place is small and old too. I know that means no matter how clean it is, it wouldn't be "good enough" for some. I just don't happen to care, lol. My family is happy and that's all that matters to me.
NanaNeema
by Member on May. 26, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Thanks..I probably shouldn't have taken it personally it's just that after I became disabled I can't do the scrubbing I used to.  In the past my kitchen and bathroom floors I scrubbed on my hands and knees because I felt the mops just didn't clean the floors good and I dusted and scrubbed other surfaces.  Now I have to clean as best I can...by using mops and dusters with extention handles due to my health issues...so to me my house isn't as clean as I'd like..but it is cleaned daily.

I have my 10 year old grandson living with me (he's a special needs child)...my house is a size that would be good for a couple but someone with kids or grandkids it is really to cramped and gets cluttered easy.

Paperfishies
by Member on May. 26, 2012 at 1:02 AM
2 moms liked this
Filthy? No...cluttered yes. I almost had a panic attack looking at the pictures, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sheepy
by on May. 26, 2012 at 1:04 AM
4 moms liked this

Girl,dont listen to them.I think its lovely :)
I to have a small home,so i know how it is to do decor that will actually fit it.

NanaNeema
by Member on May. 26, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Thank you..for not thinking it's filthy..and yes the clutter makes me nutsy!  Everytime I think we'll finally get this place straightened up that's when daughter drops stuff off for us the hold on for her while she moves.  We have 8 grandbabies..so there's the extra toys and spare clothes for when they come to visit too.  We finally were able to pack away the playpen and bouncy seat as the kids are too big for them.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Filthy? No...cluttered yes. I almost had a panic attack looking at the pictures, lol.

manda-nicole010
by on May. 26, 2012 at 1:16 AM
2 moms liked this

I would say cluttered... but not dirty or flithy. You have a lot of stuff but it all seemed to have its place. 

NanaNeema
by Member on May. 26, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Thanks...I try to be creative in finding ways to make things more organized..but at times I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle.  I was very disappointed when my studio plans fell through due to having to use the money for a new roof..but I had to be realistic..we had to get the roof done.  The room I use for my sewing room is super cramped and way too full..but I need the materials for my business...it is so hard working in there..barely room to move.  I won't give up on my dream..someday I will get the studio built...it just may take a long time until that day arrives.

Quoting manda-nicole010:

I would say cluttered... but not dirty or flithy. You have a lot of stuff but it all seemed to have its place. 

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on May. 26, 2012 at 3:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Your home is not filthy and disgusting!!  I am going to have to agree with the ladies above who said that it's cluttered, though.  It does seem that way.  But...it's a home that's LIVED IN.  Which is nice.  It's not so clean that you can eat off the floor, but that's a good thing *at least to me*.  It looks lived in. :)

NanaNeema
by Member on May. 26, 2012 at 4:24 AM
2 moms liked this

Thanks...yes you definately wouldn't "eat off the floor"..we have pets and no matter how many time I sweep there always seems to be signs of them....2 are long hair Maine Coons, 1 long hair yellow , a calico manx, and 1 short hair yellow striped..cats..and a Pomeranian who sheds as bad as the cats do..all were "rescue" animals.  That's why I said it sure isn't filthy ...I am a maniac when it comes to brushing our furry friends and right after sweeping and a damp mop to catch any hair I may have missed.  That's probably another reason my wood floors look rough.....they're old floors that are cleaned daily.  I use cleaners made for wood floors but I wish I could get the floors replaced with vinyl floorcoverings...then they wouldn't look so shabby.

Quoting Kmakksmom:

Your home is not filthy and disgusting!!  I am going to have to agree with the ladies above who said that it's cluttered, though.  It does seem that way.  But...it's a home that's LIVED IN.  Which is nice.  It's not so clean that you can eat off the floor, but that's a good thing *at least to me*.  It looks lived in. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)