Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

children that are 13 months apart need advice...

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 6:15 PM
  • 43 Replies

I have a daughter who is 8 months and I am currently expecting another baby.  My daughter and the new baby will be 13 months apart and I am worried about how to handle taking care of both children at the same time.  When I tell people that they will only be 13 months apart I can see the look of horror cross their face and then they tell me good luck.  Someone help please tell me it's not going to be as bad as everyone keeps telling me.

by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jun. 8, 2012 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't have kids that close but my mom and one of my sisters did. They both said it was hard at first. Getting used to it was a hard part. And routine was key. GL and congrats
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lonewolf19781
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this

my boys are 12 months apart and its really not that bad...there are moments you will want to pull your hair out but those pass lol. my youngest picked up on things alot quicker just from watching his brother. he walked at 9 months, and hes already starting to use the potty ocassionally just from watching his big bro. they will be close but at first your daughter may be jealous. you can do it ;-)

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Jun. 9, 2012 at 6:08 AM
People do it all the time. In sure once you get your routine going it wont be anything but your "new" normal!
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:07 AM
2 moms liked this

Schedule, Schedule, Schedule.  Line them both up for diaper changes, get them on same nap schedule, when you are going to fed the baby also have a snack, drink or meal waiting already for your oldest one.  These things will make your life easier.  There is going to be little difference then people who have twins. 

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I had three boys all a year apart, it wasn't really that hard they keep each other busy and they play well together.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Quoting Kris_PBG:

People do it all the time. In sure once you get your routine going it wont be anything but your "new" normal!

You are so right.

Momforhealth
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:23 AM
You will get really good at it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chelsey191
by Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:41 AM

My older sister and I are close together too. We fought like mad and frankly I am amazed that my mother didnt kill us. Anytime I get baby fever I just think of what my mom went through, I remember real fast why I am happy with one. lol.

Chelsey191
by Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Oh ya, and I know someone who had 4 boys in 3 years. First one she had then at a year or so she had another and immediately after that got pregnant with twins.

JuliFox
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:55 AM

It's not that bad.   My first two were 11-1/2 months apart, and my middle and my youngest were only a year and a week apart, so there wasn't even 2 years' time between my first and my last.  It was almost like having triplets.  It was hard when they were all little with all the diapers, but once I was done with diapers, I was *done*.   Going to the store could be an adventure and if I could, I enlisted the help of my DH or a friend so I wouldn't be wrangling three little ones by myself.  There were many times when my DH was away on various jobs when they were little and that was hard, but again I'd call a friend and ask for help.  I learned to nap when they did, and to not worry about keeping my house pristinely clean 24/7, because that just wasn't going to happen.  We didn't have as many sibling rivalry issues because they could never remember a time when they weren't all together.  And even when we were living in places where there were no other kids nearby, they had each other to play with.

I had a friend in Germany who had her first two 9 months apart, bless her heart.  I've lost touch now but she did much the same as I did with enlisting the help of her DH and friends.  It's really not much different than having twins, except one is just a little more advanced than the other.  Baby gates help so you can corral the oldest from being able to get into things when you're taking care of the infant. 

Don't let those looks scare you.  It's really not that bad. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN