Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

*UPDATE* Sibling jeolousy (Long)

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:29 PM
  • 5 Replies
My dd2 will be 3 months tommorrow and I am beginning to realize dd1 is jeolous. Ds is ok since he has been through it before. He loves to help with dd2 although I havent been able to get him to change a diaper yet!!!! LOL!!!! :) He will make sure I have everything I need when changing her. He does thd same with her bath time. He wants to help give her a bath and usually (under close supervision) I will let him wash her tummy, arms, and underarms. I do the rest. And hes always helping me feed her. Hes even learned how to make the bottles now and hes so proud of himself!!!! I cant help but laugh!!!! :) Anyways I digress. Back to dd1. Lately she has been extremely clingy (shes always been somewhat clingy but this is more so than usual) to me and dh when hes home. She doesnt want to let us out of her sight and even tries to sleep in bed with us which is something I thought Id broke her of when she was 3 (shes almost 5 now.) Shes always asking me whens the new baby going back to the hospital and I keep telling her shes not. I try to spend lots of time with her and ds but she wants all my time-doesnt want to share it. Im starting to get concerned. Please moms with multiple kids how did you get them to understand they were in the older sibling role now? I just dont know what to do. Dd1 and ds are 22 months apart to the day so I didnt deal with this with him. Please give me some advice on how I can help dd1 understand and be happy about dd2 and not jeolous of her. Sorry so very long. Thank you for reading all of this. *UPDATE* Since I have started letting dd1 help me with dd2 she doesnt seem to be so jeolous now. She loves to help me dress her and even change her. She also likes to help ds get her bottles ready and likes to watch me and ds bathe her. When it is dd2s tummy time dd1 will get down in the floor and play with her sister. Dd1 will tell her what the toys are what shape they are and even what color they are!!!!!! Its really cute!!!!!! :) The rest is in the replies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gsprofval
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Let her help with the baby, too, so she feels needed. Even putting the diaper in the trash can be a big help to Mommy. Maybe let her pick out clothes for the baby and a blanket, too.

It's been a long time since my kids were little.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Aww!!  I think that what was suggested is a great idea!  My girls always were excited to help take care of their younger sisters and brother so we never had a jealousy problem.  Good Luck and *hugs*.

erikadi
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:26 PM

My sister and I are 5 years apart. She will probably grow out of it. In the mean time keep doing what you are doing. Maybe have her play with dd2 under supervision. Help her make the baby smile (if she is doing that) that might help. Also try and have her help ds.

mamasheart2012
by Donna on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:19 PM
Thanks i will try these suggestions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamasheart2012
by Donna on Jun. 16, 2012 at 7:09 AM
*UPDATDE CONTINUED* While dd1 still wants a lot of my attention she is starting to understand that she is a big sister now and dd2 needs a lot of Mommys attention to. She loves to snuggle with me while I feed her sister and will even help me burp her (I have taught her how to do it gently). Dd1 doesnt try to get in bed with us anymore. She is always wanting to know whens tummy time so she can teach her sister the names of her toys their shapes and even their colors. She is really bright for just 4 years old. She has learned (after getting into trouble several times) no tumbling and dancing around sister when sister is on the floor or in her swing. Now she will go to her room or wait patiently. Thank you ladies for the advice!!!! It really helped!!!!!! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)