Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

I need some quick, easy, healthy and possibly cheap...

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM
  • 15 Replies

dessert ideas please!

We always do homemade dinners at visits for our kids.  It's just something we feel we should do.  We always ate homemade dinners when they were home *well other than the occasional pizza from Little Caesars or Papa Murphys and the even more occasional McDonalds* and usually had a dessert of some kind.

Since getting visitation, we've been taking desserts, but since the people told us that our caseworker has told them to tell us *following me here??* that all we should serve to our kids is salad and water we've been at a loss for what kind of dessert to bring them.  We obviously aren't following the "salad and water" bit...and our visitation site totally agrees with us...but all we've been taking are those Hunts Snack Pack pudding cups.  I mean...it says on the lid that they are made with real milk, but every day that we take them I see the supervising person's eyes roll whenever we tell her that we brought pudding *again!!*

So I need some quick, easy, healthy and possibly cheap dessert ideas please!  I suppose some of them don't have to be easy since Leigh can cook/bake them, but we just need some different ideas.

Thank you in advance ladies!!

by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Jun. 14, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I am a big fan of peach cobbler....it's got fruit in it so it must be healthy, lol!

Ingredients

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugars, baking powder, salt and vanilla. Pour milk into dry ingredients and then stir in melted margarine. Mix thoroughly.
  3. Pour mixture into a 9x13 inch baking pan. Arrange peaches on top and sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Cupcakes are always easy and a big hit!!!
keerah311
by New Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:19 AM
You can try homemade fruit smoothies, fruit salad, fuit tarts, or even homemade ice cream. Good luck.
AlyssaN
by Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Peach cobbler: I box yellow cake mix, 30 oz cut up canned peaches, 1 & 1/2 c liquid from peach can, 1/2 c melted butter or margarine, cinnamon and brown sugar to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour cut peaches and juice into greased 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle very lightly with some cinnamon. Sprinkle whole box of cake mix over fruit. Pour melted butter over top. Sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar to taste. Bake 30 min or until golden brown.
Angel food cake is yummy too topped with fresh fruit
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Machelle669
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this
bump

HIJKLM
by Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:30 AM
I like pear halves (in a can) with cottage cheese over top. My kids love it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
awesomemommy2
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I am a bit confused by your post but here are a few;

Strawberry Shortcake.  Cut up pound cake, whipped cram and strawberries.  

Fruit Kabobs 

Fruit Tarts - Buy the dessert shells, fill with some pudding and top with fruit.  

Jello with fruit

LML1
by Kristy on Jun. 15, 2012 at 4:02 PM

What about strawberry shortcake? banana cream pie?

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jun. 15, 2012 at 6:35 PM

This sounds delicious!  Thank you!!

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

I am a big fan of peach cobbler....it's got fruit in it so it must be healthy, lol!

Ingredients

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugars, baking powder, salt and vanilla. Pour milk into dry ingredients and then stir in melted margarine. Mix thoroughly.
  3. Pour mixture into a 9x13 inch baking pan. Arrange peaches on top and sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jun. 15, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I haven't even thought about cupcakes!  Thank you :)

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Cupcakes are always easy and a big hit!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)