Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi there ladies, just wondering what are some of your thoughts on elective c-sections.  For it, against it, or personal choice?

by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 4:49 PM
Replies (591-600):
doulala
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

some info that I thought I would amend our posts--

Quoting elleinady:

Holy smokes. It went up since I read last.

Quoting doulala:

I believe it's aactually 400% for baby, and may also be for mom, as far as I am reading--

:-(

Quoting elleinady:

Elective c sections are c sections that have no medical necessity. Id first figure out the meaning of elective before you get your panties In a wad. And any woman who chooses a procedure that carries a 300% increase in risk of death for both her and baby, for absolutely no reason other than she wants the baby to be born before mothers day or so she can go on vacation ( elective ) is a selfish idiot.

in the US:

1. A woman is five to seven times more likely to die from a cesarean delivery than from a vaginal delivery.
  2. A woman having a repeat C-section is twice as likely to die during delivery.
  3. Twice as many women require rehospitalization after a C-section than after a vaginal birth.
  4. Having a C-section means higher rates of infertility, ectopic pregnancy, and potentially severe placental problems in future pregnancies.
  5. Babies born after an elective cesarean delivery (i.e., when labor has not yet begun) are four times more likely to develop persistent pulmonary hypertension, a potentially life-threatening condition.
  6. Between one and two babies of every hundred delivered by C-section will be accidentally cut during the surgery.3
  7. The US is tied for second-to-last place with Hungary, Malta, Poland, and Slovakia for neonatal mortality in the industrialized world.4
  8. Babies born via C-section are at high risk for not receiving the benefits of breastfeeding.5
  9. The risk of death to a newborn delivered by C-section to a low-risk woman is 1.77 deaths to 1,000 live births. The risk of death to a newborn delivered vaginally to a low-risk woman is only 0.62 per 1,000 live births.6

MaggieO
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Whether I am for or against it is irrelevant when it comes to anyone else.  My only unsolicited advice would be to ask questions of your doctor or midwife.  Red. Do your research.  Whatever choice you make- make sure it is an educated choice and one with which you are comfortable.  I think many women do not realize that even if a doctor says he/she states you "should" do soemthing, nothing can be done without your consent unless your life is imminent danger.  FWIW- I had planned an all natural child birth and ended with a c-section because my baby's head was stuck.  My doula (also a midwife) was in favor of the decision.   All that matters to me now is that I have a healthy child.

Beth3721
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Against it.  After 24 hours of labor I really wish they would just cut her out of me it hurt so bad, but they didnt. A few hours later I had an emergency c-section.  It was horrible.  I don't know why anyone would choose that.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Jun. 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Quoting omm76002:

I know what it means /- but it is not magic... FrOm what I have read, it really only works if your body is ready. I had it done at some point with ds1- it did nothing.
Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Against. It's a major surgery (knw from experience) and shouldn't be used lightly.

navymommy
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 10:54 PM
I had two vaginal deliveries and one c-section. The first vaginal delivery was all natural... ouch. The second I had an epidural and I LOVE epidurals. LOL
My son, born 9 mos ago was horrendously painful. I would never ever ever ever choose to have a c-section. Two days afterward, when the pain killers and the haze wore off, I hurt so much to walk I was bawling...
Mine was an emergency and they had a tough time getting to him, so I know it was a little worse than a normal section, but it was awful.
We are having more children and I'm honestly terrified that I'll have another c-section. My first natural, 72 hour hard-labor for my breech baby girl was better than the weeks of painful recovery after my c-section!!!!
OUCH
The pain affected my milk supply too and screwed up our breastfeeding so much that I barely had enough supply for him and at 6 mos I had to quit :(
Springer707
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:11 PM
I think that c-sections should only be for an emergency.. As in fetal distress, breech, not dilated, mothers blood pressure.. I can't see electively going in to get my baby cut out.. Longer recovery and the babies have more fluids in their lungs. I've had 3 kids all naturally my aunt is a l&d nurse so she gave me a lot of information on both ways to deliver. Vaginal is the best way if you are able to do it that way... Just my opinion
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Springer707
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Tearing in nothing compared to going for surgery. I'd much rather tear! I know it's a personal choice but just because you tear shouldn't be a reason for a c. I think they should be for people absoululy can not push a baby for medical reasons!

Quoting shelisa05:

Im for it.. just because personally i had my daughter vaginally and she was 6lb 8oz and i had to get cut... so i know my son (pregnant now) is not going to fit.. i think it should be a personal choice as to what the mother things she can handle coming out as opposed to tearing and also having to have an emergency c-section.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
German-Mama
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I had a C-Section because of many different reasons 11days before my sons Due Date. I will do it with my second child again. Tottally had the whole giving Birth experience and love my son more than anything in this world. I had a rough pregnancy and gained alot of weight, I had stretchmarks that hurt so much that I could not sleep anymore from the pain. My sons Dad was in the Military and had to leave just 3 weeks after the Due date and the Doctors said that our Son was fully Developed and Healthy. So I made the choice to stop suffering and give Dad the 11 more days with his first born son. I had Women judge me for this, but I would make the same choice again if I had to. 

elleinady
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Further confirming that any woman who chooses this with NO MEDICAL REASON whatsoever is a selfish idiot.

Quoting doulala:

some info that I thought I would amend our posts--

Quoting elleinady:

Holy smokes. It went up since I read last.

Quoting doulala:

I believe it's aactually 400% for baby, and may also be for mom, as far as I am reading--

:-(

Quoting elleinady:

Elective c sections are c sections that have no medical necessity. Id first figure out the meaning of elective before you get your panties In a wad. And any woman who chooses a procedure that carries a 300% increase in risk of death for both her and baby, for absolutely no reason other than she wants the baby to be born before mothers day or so she can go on vacation ( elective ) is a selfish idiot.

in the US:

1. A woman is five to seven times more likely to die from a cesarean delivery than from a vaginal delivery.
  2. A woman having a repeat C-section is twice as likely to die during delivery.
  3. Twice as many women require rehospitalization after a C-section than after a vaginal birth.
  4. Having a C-section means higher rates of infertility, ectopic pregnancy, and potentially severe placental problems in future pregnancies.
  5. Babies born after an elective cesarean delivery (i.e., when labor has not yet begun) are four times more likely to develop persistent pulmonary hypertension, a potentially life-threatening condition.
  6. Between one and two babies of every hundred delivered by C-section will be accidentally cut during the surgery.3
  7. The US is tied for second-to-last place with Hungary, Malta, Poland, and Slovakia for neonatal mortality in the industrialized world.4
  8. Babies born via C-section are at high risk for not receiving the benefits of breastfeeding.5
  9. The risk of death to a newborn delivered by C-section to a low-risk woman is 1.77 deaths to 1,000 live births. The risk of death to a newborn delivered vaginally to a low-risk woman is only 0.62 per 1,000 live births.6

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)