Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's my right to spank my kid if I want too!!!!

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM
  • 45 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Do you think this mom was within her rights?

Options:

Yes, it's her child her decision

No. What she did was wrong!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 62

View Results

Posted by Ericka Sóuter
on June 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM

beltSome punishments clearly cross the line. This is one of them. 

A woman allegedly beat her 7-year-old daughter -- leaving bruises and lacerations -- for kissing a kindergarten classmate. A New Jersey judge ruled that she was not within her parental rights for a punishment that went well beyond a "customary spanking."

In court documents, the mother defended the beating saying it was within her constitutional rights to use that type of punishment. And believe it or not, an earlier court decision agreed with her. The first judge to hear the case didn't think the whupping was actually excessive. Huh? That is a serious head scratcher. But it's easy to see why that decision was reversed.

Prosecutors said photos of the girl showed bruises on her arms, back, buttocks and thoughts. She also had cuts to her buttocks and right though likely caused by the belt buckle. If this mom reacts like this over a little kiss, I shudder to think of what would happen if the little girl were to cuss or hit. There must be some line when it comes to corporal punishment.

I know, I know. Just who is going to set the standard outlining when it's okay to hit. Well, until the International Association of Spanking Parents comes out with an official rule book, parents will just have to use a bit of common sense. Kiss - a scolding, if even that. Stealing - a spanking, if that's your preference. In any circumstance, a spanking that results is bruising and lacerations is over-the-top. Giving birth to children doesn't give you the right to torture them.

by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kikitice
by Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 11:42 PM
2 moms liked this

I believe in your right to discipline but not abuse.

mamasheart2012
by Donna on Jun. 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I believe in spanking but that was clearly abuse. I was spanked as a child and not once did i have a bruise on me from it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Jun. 22, 2012 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely! But the problem is, some people can't see the difference.

Quoting kikitice:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Jun. 22, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Shoot, I think the worst I've had was a pink butt, but that's it.

Quoting mamasheart2012:

I believe in spanking but that was clearly abuse. I was spanked as a child and not once did i have a bruise on me from it.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

MrsImperfect
by Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 11:53 PM
That was excessive and the judge ruled right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kikitice
by Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 11:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting paganbaby:

Absolutely! But the problem is, some people can't see the difference.

Quoting kikitice:

I agree with you. 

MommyJDTJ
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 1:27 AM

A "Spanking" should not be leaving cuts or bruises. A spanking is only a spanking if it is on the bottom, her arms, legs, and back should not have been touched if it was a spanking.

If Its on anything but the bottom I consider it a beating. But thats just my opinion. I do spank my older child if needed but only in the most severe situations (safety, etc).

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Jun. 23, 2012 at 2:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd love to know what 10% think that was appropriate.

Let someone cut and bruise you with a belt and see how quickly you press charges on them...
EireLass
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 8:45 AM

There are 8 of us. None of us were spanked ever, by our parents. HOWEVER.....we're all so stupid, we each thought we'd be the one to get away with swearing at our Mother. hahaha. Each of us only tried it once....she whacked each of us in the mouth with her big ring, and gave each of us a bloody lip. I believe she was well within her limit to do this.

However, I feel the story is telling me that this is a regular occurance in that family. WRONG!

nicole2884
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 9:37 AM

there is a difference between a smack on the bottom an beating your child

an over something so innocent 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)