Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Anyone made a major life change?

Posted by   + Show Post

I mean after having kids. It seems like when you have kids, it's hard to take risks (well, duh, we want our kids to be safe and fed) but I'm 45 and thinking of leaving my job in a few years to start a business.

I'm wondering who else has tried this? Please share your story if you've done something risky. Did you get what you hoped for? Did it not work out but somehow you recovered? Are you working on making the change now?

When I was little I wanted to be a dancer, even got a college degree in it. But I never found work in that field, not any  that paid, lol. Now I'm an ESL teacher. Been doing this for 20 years. I used to love my job, but the current political climate is making it painful. My days are no longer filled with helping children. My mind is always on paperwork, gossiping coworkers, and watching my back. I'm tired of it. And, things are changing so rapidly that I no longer have the job security that I used to. It seems teachers in my city can get fired on whim now. So I'm thinking it's not worth it to keep plugging away, come home too tired to enjoy my own kids. hmmm.

Andreaboy kissing mom

by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 8:01 PM
Replies (11-19):
emptynest242
by Theresa on Jul. 3, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Hi there, I have fibromyalgia as well, and have had it for 12 years now. It's not easy working with it, but it can be done if you pace yourself and get proper sleep, as well as the right meds. I have to get a good nights sleep or I can't function the next day at all. I do have fibro fogs at times, and some days are bad when everything irrates me, but that's when I know to back it down and don't overdue it the next day. I wish you well and hope you can find something to work with your fibro too. Good luck, Theresa

Quoting momof5mi:

I'm working on. My health after 12 year of cronic pain and tired of running around. I found i have fibromyalgia now with right treat i'm almost pain free and living. And kids so happy to because mom can keep up somewhat. Also learning to believe i can go back to work after all these years.

Carrie143
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 10:53 PM
I've been a PSW for 7 years now. I just got a position at the hospital. Finding it challenging to get a handle on the routine. I just turned 45
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pixiiedust
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:46 AM

I've never done something like that.

LivinDeadGurl
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

We made a few.

In 2008 we moved from Chicago to Austin, Texas. We pretty much just up and moved.

Then in early 2011, my husband launched a computer repair and networking business full time. It didn't do well at all and we ended up having to work out asses off to overcome it.

chicanueva
by New Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Quoting momof5mi:

I'm working on. My health after 12 year of cronic pain and tired of running around. I found i have fibromyalgia now with right treat i'm almost pain free and living. And kids so happy to because mom can keep up somewhat. Also learning to believe i can go back to work after all these years.

That's great to hear. Keeping up with the kids is a joy we take for granted until it's taken away. I have fibro and RA. THis just developed two years ago. At one point, I could only work if I took painkillers in the morning, which then made me too damn tired in the afternoons. I didn't want to take the pills all day, (can be addictive) so I was pleasant at work and cranky at home. My kids get the short end of mommy, but I'm single have to have a way to pay bills. Hoping to go to work for myself and have less stress soon.

Andreaboy kissing mom

chicanueva
by New Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Quoting Thelmama:

Not yet but I am planning on going to work IF I can find a job that coincides with my children's schedule so I can be home when they are.

Hi Thelma, good luck to you. Teaching used to be that great schedule for me...but as I said, I'm bringing too much home these days, the stress is wrecking my weekends. What work do you want to do? A few ideas that come to my mind are breakfast/lunch restaurants, early shift in a hospital or hotel. When I was younger, I worked in a huge hotel in NYC. Hard work, but fun. I remember a lot of comeradrie and good conversations with the dayshift ladies in the locker room. I was coming in for the night shift at the restaurant while most of these women were going home to their kids. 

Andreaboy kissing mom

lilmama31709
by Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM
My ds is 3. My dd would have been 2 in a couple weeks. This past week I gave up the 2 jobs I had to work part time at the daycare my son goes to and go back to school. If I like the daycare I may go back for early childhood ed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RoddaMom
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 10:07 AM

When I was 18 I adopted four children, worked a job part-time and went to school full-time. I now (22) have had my first biological child and will graduate in April. I am have just started my own accounting business from home and am trying to build up my client base. Best of luck to you!

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:52 AM
Quoting sjump25:

I've never done something like that, but I wish you the best!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)