Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Oh God help me please....

Ok so CPS came this morning to do a checkup as court ordered. My house is clean kids clean healthy and fed. Nothing wrong right? Ha!!!! They are threatning to take my kids away just because my friend who stays with me during the day had to run home and help her dh with their 4 daughters. Yes i know im supposed to have someone with me while dh was at work but my god it was only a few minutes and she was just a phone call away. It wouldnt even take her a couple of minutes to get here and my ds knows what to do if Mommy goes into a seizure. I have taught him that. Please ladies what can I do to fight this? I cant lose my babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:34 AM
Replies (11-20):
mamasheart2012
by Donna on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM
My lawyer is going to show CPS tommorrow a statement from my dr. that states my seizures are regulated by medicine and my kids are in no danger. I have a what to do poster hung up in ds room with snacks and juice within reach. He also know how to make dd2 bottles and change her. He knows how to call 911 and dh and knows to get me on my side. He is VERY smart for his age. I am NOT giving up without a fight. They WILL NOT WIN!!!!!!

Quoting trebelcleff:

Have you looked into a service dog for seizures?  They can alert you if you are about to have one so that you can ensure that you are as safe as possible and you can alert the children as well.

I understand why they are concerned about the kids, but there are plenty of people who have medical conditions and are allowed to care for their children on their own.  Six is plenty old enough to know their own address and how to call 911 in an emergency.  They are also old enough to provide basic care (VERY basic care, like getting a snack for example) to themselves and a slightly younger sibling (one that is mobile and verbal) for the few minutes it may take for an ambulance to arrive.  It might help to have an emergency plan (in pictures as well as words) hung in an obvious location so that if you do have one your oldest can follow the instructions, which will help reduce panic.

If it isn't court ordered that you have someone with you at all times, then you need to show that to them.  They are pushy, so push a little bit back.  You are meeting the children's basic needs (and I'm sure more than that as well), and as long as there isn't a safety risk to them if you do have a seizure then you need to make it clear to CPS that you will not allow them to walk all over you demanding things that aren't even in a court order.  Find a lawyer if you don't already have one... they might be able to help you get something in writing saying you do not require constant assistance, which might help get them off your case.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trebelcleff
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:58 PM

That's great!  You are well prepared, and at age six he shouldn't have any problems if you do end up going down.  Now just don't let them bully you... you're doing great!!!

Quoting mamasheart2012:

My lawyer is going to show CPS tommorrow a statement from my dr. that states my seizures are regulated by medicine and my kids are in no danger. I have a what to do poster hung up in ds room with snacks and juice within reach. He also know how to make dd2 bottles and change her. He knows how to call 911 and dh and knows to get me on my side. He is VERY smart for his age. I am NOT giving up without a fight. They WILL NOT WIN!!!!!!

Quoting trebelcleff:

Have you looked into a service dog for seizures?  They can alert you if you are about to have one so that you can ensure that you are as safe as possible and you can alert the children as well.

I understand why they are concerned about the kids, but there are plenty of people who have medical conditions and are allowed to care for their children on their own.  Six is plenty old enough to know their own address and how to call 911 in an emergency.  They are also old enough to provide basic care (VERY basic care, like getting a snack for example) to themselves and a slightly younger sibling (one that is mobile and verbal) for the few minutes it may take for an ambulance to arrive.  It might help to have an emergency plan (in pictures as well as words) hung in an obvious location so that if you do have one your oldest can follow the instructions, which will help reduce panic.

If it isn't court ordered that you have someone with you at all times, then you need to show that to them.  They are pushy, so push a little bit back.  You are meeting the children's basic needs (and I'm sure more than that as well), and as long as there isn't a safety risk to them if you do have a seizure then you need to make it clear to CPS that you will not allow them to walk all over you demanding things that aren't even in a court order.  Find a lawyer if you don't already have one... they might be able to help you get something in writing saying you do not require constant assistance, which might help get them off your case.

Tea4Tas
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Contact the National epilepsy association and see if they have any advice to offer.

mariesmama
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:12 PM

id also have somebody lined up that your oldest knows to call that can drop everything to watch them in case you do need 911

mamasheart2012
by Donna on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Thats the lady thats usually with me.

Quoting mariesmama:

id also have somebody lined up that your oldest knows to call that can drop everything to watch them in case you do need 911

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomofBoys838
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Just wanted you to know I read your post and am sending prayers your way.

mamasheart2012
by Donna on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:31 AM
Thank you. I hope this can be straightned out soon. I am stressinh out.

Quoting MomofBoys838:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomofBoys838
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I know you are stressed, and that is not good with your health issues....I hope it is straightened out soon, too.  I hope you don't mind my asking, but I'm just curious.....is there a minimum age that your kids can be before you don't need an aide in your home?  I won't be offended if you prefer not to answer...you will continue to be in my prayers.  Hugs to you :)

Quoting mamasheart2012:

Quoting MomofBoys838:

ladybugMarie

mamasheart2012
by Donna on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:41 AM
Honestly I dont know. this was caseworker ordered not court ordered. My lawyer is trying to get it dropped with the help of my dr. I hope they can.

Quoting MomofBoys838:

I know you are stressed, and that is not good with your health issues....I hope it is straightened out soon, too.  I hope you don't mind my asking, but I'm just curious.....is there a minimum age that your kids can be before you don't need an aide in your home?  I won't be offended if you prefer not to answer...you will continue to be in my prayers.  Hugs to you :)

Quoting mamasheart2012:

Quoting MomofBoys838:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomofBoys838
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I hope so, too.  Try and take care of yourself...I know it's hard, but it sounds like you have some good help.  Keep us updated....Hugs :)

Quoting mamasheart2012:

Honestly I dont know. this was caseworker ordered not court ordered. My lawyer is trying to get it dropped with the help of my dr. I hope they can.

Quoting MomofBoys838:

Quoting mamasheart2012:

Quoting MomofBoys838:

ladybugMarie

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN