Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can't pay.. .. why?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM
  • 11 Replies

Here I go again.. on yet another rant!

Sorry ladies but I have just about had it with all of this stress and all of the worrying over crap that never should have fallen on my shoulders.

Here it is:

MIL lives in our front yard in a small camper. (We are in the process {VERY SLOWLY} of getting her a small apartment built behind our home) She is plugged into my Electric, Water and Dish Network. She is also on my AT&T phone plan.- We have never asked her for any financial help except to pay 1/2 of the building payment and her phone bill. This only amounts to $165 per month. She has never had to pay anything on any of the other bills. She did volunteer to pay any overage on the electric this summer though if the bill happened to go sky high! Well, the damned thing did! It went up almost $170 and now she doesn't have the money to pay anything but her half of the building payment!

{This subject is a VERY SORE one with me cause this same 51 yr old is very manipulative and a lazy ass! Always expecting a hand out from all that know him} She has a 51 yr old son that just had to have a hearing aid! I have no idea how much she gave him but it must have been quite a bit because she is basically broke.- - Several years ago, he had a hearing aid but didn't like the way it felt in his ear so he threw it away. Now, what makes him think he will like this one that he has ordered? He didn't go have it fitted or anything like that so I am guessing it is something he found in a magazine?

Now, WTH am I supposed to do about paying the bills?? Tell them that the money went for someone a hearing aid?? Like that will float!

I'm having a stressful moment right now and I am not liking this crap! Why is it that I can never rely on anyone to pay when they say they will??

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paulajean65
by Paula on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Let me add that one of the bills is due TOMORROW and amounts to $200!! I'm a bundle of nerves,,, damn it!! WHY ME???

EireLass
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Pull her plug. If she's not keeping up with paying for what she gets, then she doesn't get!

Hearing aides. My fiance' recently got his. $5200.

I_told_you_so
by Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this

There isn't anything you can do about it now because the money is spent, but maybe you can increase her monthly "rent" to accomodate her extra electric use.  As for the Electric department, check to see if they can put you on a payment plan.   Since there are a lot of extra high electric bills due to the heat wave, they may be able to work with you and others who have the same problems.

paulajean65
by Paula on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting EireLass:

Pull her plug. If she's not keeping up with paying for what she gets, then she doesn't get!

Hearing aides. My fiance' recently got his. $5200.

Believe me, if she wasn't in such bad health, as far as I'm concerned, it would have already happened! But she has asthma, COPD and is supposed to be on Oxygen. No cool air and she would probably kill over.. .. that would be on my conscience for the rest of my life, ugh! Damned if I do and Damned if I don't!

EireLass
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm confused. I thought this was about your mother in law and her ability to pay to live there.

Quoting paulajean65: 
Quoting EireLass:

Pull her plug. If she's not keeping up with paying for what she gets, then she doesn't get! Hearing aides. My fiance' recently got his. $5200.

Believe me, if she wasn't in such bad health, as far as I'm concerned, it would have already happened! But she has asthma, COPD and is supposed to be on Oxygen. No cool air and she would probably kill over.. .. that would be on my conscience for the rest of my life, ugh! Damned if I do and Damned if I don't!

paulajean65
by Paula on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting I_told_you_so:

There isn't anything you can do about it now because the money is spent, but maybe you can increase her monthly "rent" to accomodate her extra electric use.  As for the Electric department, check to see if they can put you on a payment plan.   Since there are a lot of extra high electric bills due to the heat wave, they may be able to work with you and others who have the same problems.

I certainly hadn't thought of this. I am good at telling others about programs and such but go blank and go into panic mode for myself. Go figure, Right?

paulajean65
by Paula on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Quoting EireLass:

I'm confused. I thought this was about your mother in law and her ability to pay to live there.

Quoting paulajean65: 
Quoting EireLass:

Pull her plug. If she's not keeping up with paying for what she gets, then she doesn't get! Hearing aides. My fiance' recently got his. $5200.

Sorry, don't mean to confuse anyone.. don't know how to better explain except that she "forgot" that she had bills to pay and paid for something for someone else.. I know, it doesn't make any sense in some ways  but I am just flustered as to how in the devil I will manage to pay the other bills that I needed the money for.- -She is on a limited income and wants to help everyone but forgets that she DOES have responsibilities such as paying her bills.. .. Guess I need to mention that she AND HER MOTHER lived her 6 years ago in another camper and NEVER had to pay anything for the year and a half that they stayed. At that time, my DH made better money than he does now and I get the feeling that the MIL thought she was going to basically get another free ride?

Ilaynasmommy
by Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I am dealing with the same thing. Fil staying with us and is on ssi. he was etting 4something a month and we agreed on him helping with 100 a month. The only other responsiblilty he has is 50 a month for the ssi lawyer. He hounded me about telling ssi he was paying me more to stay here so he would get more and would help more. I put it off bc I knew what would happen but while I was at work dh called and did it thinking he was helping me (i should have talked with him earlier). Fil got paid friday bought a scooter and left to get it fixed. Told dh the ssi only increased 50. Monday was my 1 day off and I went to get the money order for rent. Dh called his father and told him we needed his part. He spent it!! And the lawyer's 50! I had to use the grocery money for the rest of rent. To make it worse he came over the next day crying to dh that his food stamps were cut and showed him the paper without thinking it shows his ssi amount... 698. And he spent it all in 3 days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FINEPORCELAIN
by New Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 2:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I am sorry if this sounds mean but I would either tell hubby to deal with it or unplug her power and water until she gets the drift.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jul. 6, 2012 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting paulajean65: 
Quoting EireLass:

I am with you! Got lost!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)